Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a breeder(midwest)

I saw it suggested in another thread to mention a location and the forum would help find a good breeder in the area so thats what I am trying to do. I am in S.E. MI I am willing to drive about 5 hours give or take. Illinois, indiana, canada, ohio? or wherever(the breeder is most important to me) I am looking for a red or apricot standard poodle. I have a wife(we are in our mid 40's) and 10 year old girl. We also have a 2 year old golden doodle who has pretty bad hip displaysa. We are looking for a family pet. Going for walks, runs, obedience school, playing fetch/catching frisbee. I have had many dogs growing up and we have had a dalmatian prior who lived a nice long 15year life. We heard those dogs were high strung. Not sure how they compare to poodles but our dal was a great fit for us. that was prior to our daughter was born. I am considering Rivers Edge but they have a working/hunting line and was concerned from what I have read here that they may be too much to handle although I tend to not think so. But what do I know. Thats why I am here asking. Any help locating me a good breeder any where in the area or possible farther would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,233 Posts
Check out PF member Arreau who is in Canada (Ontario) and breeds beautiful reds and apricots.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I get this message when trying to search that name. Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.
Any other way to find him/her?
Edit: Nevermind. I unchecked the exact name box and found the user arreaustandardpoodle

Still open to any and all good breeders in the area.

·
Premium Member
23,233 Posts

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Is the Pittsburgh area okay? There’s Farley’s D. In my first obedience class someone had a gorgeous spoo from Farley’s D. They specialize in red and apricot.

There’s a small group of breeders specializing in reds and apricots who show and win in AKC conformation trials. They know each other and work together so if you contact one and they don’t have puppies they will probably know which of them does have puppies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am highly considering one of the females. Are these your dogs? I may call shortly. Would like to reserve one if possible. Still have questions of course.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arreau’s poodles are fantastic - gorgeous, perfect size and personality plus. they are home raised..... Cherie has Facebook pages and website under the same name.
Nothing mentioned about puppies on their website. Must not have any currently? Nice looking dogs for sure. Hoping to get a pup before winter sets in though.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Since you are color specific and there is nothing wrong with that, I would contact all of the breeders mentioned so far see when breedings are planned. Farley’s in Pittsburgh announced a successful match recently. I would love a red from him, Arreau or NOLA in New Orleans.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
If you are a facebook user search for Cherie Ambeault Perks.....it will also say Harmony Contracting, she is part owner of that. This will take you to Cherie's facebook page where you can put in a friend request or send her a PM.

I know she will be having a couple more breedings this fall, if all works out as planned.

If I were looking for a red/apricot spoo I would be talking to Cherie!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
listed at poodlesonline dot com in illinois: sunset maple poodles. cannot vouch for them personally. but puppies seem to be available per their website. one curious point: lots of testing shown, but no titles for their dogs. seems they don't show?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you guys know these websites better than I do. I cant make heads or tails from some of these sites. To me I can not tell there are any pups available from this place(sunset). It says stuff about getting on a wait list for $250 but I dont want to do that if I dont even know when they will be ready. for now I would rather find someone with a pup currently available. I will contact them for further info though.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So, breeders, do you show if they have puppies available or not so if you are interested just email of facebook them.
Do be careful with waiting lists.
Some breeders I have come across will have a non-refundable deposit that if there are no puppies that fit your description you will not get your money back. And you get put on the bottom of the waiting list for the next litter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yep, I have contacted just about every breeder mentioned here and then some. was/am just looking for suggestions. Only sunset maple has pups. Nola is way to far. arreau is breeding two blacks with red in them in a few months but no gurentee of a red so I dont think I want to tie up my money hoping. Farley will have some in 9 months. Partriot is not breeding till October. Its pretty rare I have 2k+ to spare so I doubt I'll have the cash in 9 months. Stuck with going with sunset(which seems to have good dogs but some have expressed reservations) or go with a different color. Maybe I'll start looking farther out.

·
Premium Member
23,233 Posts
Here are what I would keep as my priorities in ranked order (based on the things that have been mentioned):

1. Background health and temperament of parents are tied (must have evidence of such through OFA/CHIC and through some sort of titles in pedigrees (conformation and/or companion events);

2. Clear evidence of good puppy rearing practices (almost tied for first and a means of assuring good puppy temperament) including having puppies getting used to grooming and having lots of people meeting puppies;

3. Date puppy would be available (a great puppy is worth waiting for);

4. Color of puppy.

OP since you mentioned money, The purchase price of a puppy is a small part of the expenses of keeping a dog. Keep the purchase money you have in a dedicated, unraidable puppy/dog fund and add to it while you wait for a pup. In addition to purchase price there is feeding, vet care (routine and emergency fund), training and GROOMING (somewhat a unique to poodles expense).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do know about expenses. I have owned almost a dozen dogs and currently have a golden doodle. Up keep is not a problem(we have already spent over 2k on vet bills this year with our hip displysia doodle). Purchase price is. I have never had to put up 2k for any vet or grooming costs. so that is not the problem. the 2k for purchase may or may not be there. that aside, the sunset place I am considering says all pups are registered akc which means the mom and dad must be(which was one concern you guys had) they say preliminary x rays showed good hips but the one dog(dad) is only 18 months so has not had 2 year xrays yet and the mom was due just as she went into heat so they claim the last set of xrays will be done in a few weeks. they are all extensively health tested and they do cognitive development skill training and feed raw. I think their dogs look nice.
Maybe not the best out there but It sounds like if I wait it will be at least 6-9 months to maybe have a red available and perhaps longer. I would wait up to 9 months if I knew I could get a red but since they are breeding two blacks I dong think I want to hang on to the hope of a red come april. they have provided ofa links for health and their vets phone number in case I want to call them. Thanks for your replies. Any other serious reservations on this breeder. I dont find much wrong with them from an amature prospective. I have taken concerns about them not showing their dogs but I personally am willing to look past that.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts