Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am going to be looking at a std poodle puppy tomorrow that will be 4 weeks old on Saturday. What should I look for tomorrow? How much should they weigh at 4 weeks? How active should she be?

I also have the vets number? What questions should I ask about this breeder? What questions should I ask the breeder?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kim

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Testing! What testing has been done. Ask to take copies of testing home with you and we can help you decipher the results.

Ask for a pedigree and have the breeder go through the first three generations. What can the breeder tell you about these dogs? What about their overall health? Are they still alive? Where did the breeder get her dogs? Why is she breeding her bitch? Did she go to an outside stud or did she breed to one of her own dogs? Are the dogs titled in some way?

Check out the dam of the litter. She should be confident and friendly.... never shy or nervous. By 4 weeks, I would not excuse any poor behavior as her "being protective" of her puppies.

Look at the dogs in the home. Are they clean? Well groomed? Are the puppies clean? Is the house clean or does it look dirty and disorganized? Are the puppies kept in a clean environment or are they running around in lots of poop and urine?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent an email asking the questions and I will talk to her about this tomorrow. I was able to find the certified pedigree for the AKC. Is there away I can check on the dogs that are listed?

Thanks!

Kim

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I sent an email asking the questions and I will talk to her about this tomorrow. I was able to find the certified pedigree for the AKC. Is there away I can check on the dogs that are listed?
Yep! Testing can be verified at Orthopedic Foundation for Animals General health issues can be researched at Poodle Health Registry

Typical testing for a Standard Poodle:

Hips.. Pennhip <.60 or OFA Excellent, Good, Fair
Eyes.... CERF tested every breeding year
SA... skin punch typically every two years
VWD..... one time test or clear by parentage
NE..... one time test
thyroid..... every year

Ideally you would like to see that the dam and sire are tested and that both sets of grandparents are tested too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts