Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may know, Annie has squirrel problems. Big squirrel problems. The first thing that is usually suggested is trying the Look at That game to teach her self control.

Well, Annie flunks it. I tried even the beginning steps overy and over for 9 months now- you have a treat, why would I look at that toy you are waving around and squeaking? Someone walks past? Meh, uninterested. Squirrel? Other dog? Get that treat out of my face, I am BUSY!

I gave up.

I don't know if it's because I have been working on her ball drive, because I have been working on her eyes on me to get the ball, because she is 1.5 and slowly getting less puppyish, or what... but last night, we successfully started playing LAT with her ball and some kibble, and she very quickly learned to look at the ball, then at me.

Woohoo. I am happy.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I feel your pain. I couldn’t walk out my front door to walk or potty my dog. She was so focused on rabbits and birds. The rabbits lived in our yard near the front door and they were all over the neighborhood. It was so frustrating but I didn’t give up just like you haven’t given up. It Took me over a year to shift her focus to me.

I’m so glad you’re getting feedback that your hard work is taking effect. Keep up the good work because there will be days when things slip back to old patterns.

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
A quote from Anne of Green Gables, “Every day is a new day, without any mistakes in it yet” was my mantra during Buck’s protracted youth. LAT, look at me, treat and repeat. Thank goodness Buck is food driven. You are making great progress with Annie. Celebrate every success:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts