196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can the hair possibly get to, if left uncut, on the following areas:

Topknot
Ears
Legs
Body
Tail

Has anybody grown out any of these areas as long as possible, without cording it? Let's see who's got the record hair length!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Haha, I think this is an awesome idea! My dogs' hair can't get very long because I don't have the time to brush them every day. But I've sen some looooong topknots and ears!

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean, but poodle hair is like human hair, it never stops growing. They’re not like Yorkies, whose hair will stop at a certain lenght. If you didn’t groom them ever, the hair would keep growing and growing forever.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean, but poodle hair is like human hair, it never stops growing. They’re not like Yorkies, whose hair will stop at a certain lenght. If you didn’t groom them ever, the hair would keep growing and growing forever.
She is asking people the longest they've let their hair grow to see what the longest is for each body part :) Even though it can grow forever, very few people let it grow so long!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't cut Louie's tail hair ever - I like that at least to be wild and a bit rasta - plus it is the only place on his body where he has any red hair left. Even though he started out so apricot looking - he is actually cream - he is now white all over and would only look cream if standing next to a true white...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't cut Louie's tail hair ever - I like that at least to be wild and a bit rasta - plus it is the only place on his body where he has any red hair left. Even though he started out so apricot looking - he is actually cream - he is now white all over and would only look cream if standing next to a true white...
How long is Louie's tail hair? Would love to see a pic!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_growth#Telogen_phase I think it’s probably similar to human hair which means that hair doesn’t keep growing. There probably is a limit which could vary between poodles. Hair sometimes is actively growing, sometimes in a transitional phase and then it falls out. Then the cycle starts over again. With poodle hair we tend not to see the hair that falls out because it gets trapped with the rest of the hair and we end up brushing it out.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
596 Posts
How long is Louie's tail hair? Would love to see a pic!
Funny taking a picture of only your dog's bum! It is not that long actually if you come to think he only had it cut 2 times in his life - once at 8 weeks at the breeders and once at 3 months at the groomers. It dreadlocks up and it mats at times - but somehow I still like it. It is like his freak flag and that is fine with me - also I generally leave Hippy Pants on him - bell bottom shapes so it fits well with that..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Topknot and neck hair on a show standard poodle has been grown out to at least a foot in length. It sure was a pain to keep up coats during the time when more was better.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
At my house, length is measured by how long it takes to properly brush and comb out a coat. When Wilson gets to three hours, every other day, I call it quits. The clippers come out the next day. Wilson has an incredibly thick coat. It stands up better than any of my other poodles' coats, but he must have three times more hair per square inch. Of course, he is the poodle that has to run in the sprinklers and then, through dirt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Zeke’s topknot is almost as long as Wilson (charmed) and I am wanting to let that and his ears get really long. Anyone know how long it might take before I can band up the hair on top of his head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Wondered why corded is not considered. Asta has some awesome cords instead of a regular topknot.They grow longer every day and there is the daily work. Separate the cords, condition the cords. Put hair up in bands, next day, repeat, and so on. I love his wild look. Wouldn't try the tail as he has a stubby (docked) tail that doesn't seem to want to cord.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Molly is 11 inches tall at the shoulder and her TK & crest hair are 9-10 inches long....it would probably be longer if I banded it to keep her from breaking hair playing and dragging on the carpeting and the dirt outside LOL! My pin brush sits on my coffee table.................

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny taking a picture of only your dog's bum! It is not that long actually if you come to think he only had it cut 2 times in his life - once at 8 weeks at the breeders and once at 3 months at the groomers. It dreadlocks up and it mats at times - but somehow I still like it. It is like his freak flag and that is fine with me - also I generally leave Hippy Pants on him - bell bottom shapes so it fits well with that..

pretty please stretch out the hair and measure how many inches long it is? pleeeease? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts