Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Lola was taken to the vet today to get fixed...
Me being the freak-ish mom that i am :bird: ... hahaha... i am sooo worried about her... She looks sad... :(

Is that ok?
Piggy is fixed, but we got her fixed when she had the puppies, so i don't remember how was she (surgery related)...

Can we send good vibes to her?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The spaying seems to be a bit harder on the girls than the neutering is on the boys. The girl I had spayed was sick for about 3 days after her spaying but she perked up on day 4 and was fine after that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spaying seems to be a bit harder on the girls than the neutering is on the boys. The girl I had spayed was sick for about 3 days after her spaying but she perked up on day 4 and was fine after that.
By sick.. what do you mean?
What were the symptoms? How was she bahaving?

Sorry for all the questions...

I'm far away from her, and she's just a little spoiled princess, and i'm afraid of her having a hard time... :'(

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
She was throwing up. She came home and ate a bunch of grass because the anesthetic was making her sick to her stomach and then she proceeded to throw up until there was nothing left. She wouldn't drink water or eat for 24 hours and I just didn't force her. I figured that she'd drink it when she felt well enough to drink it and she did. She slept a lot at first and she just looked really out of it. The longer they keep them under the worse it is on them and she was in heat when I took her to be spayed so they kept her under just a little bit longer than the normal spay and she had a teeth cleaning on top of it all.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Just keep her in a quiet room and offer her water when the vet's office said you can. Make sure she doesn't do anything that will pull her stitches out and they usually take care of themselves. Good to keep an eye on her though.

Oh I hear rice with chicken broth is good if they aren't eating but mine wouldn't even look at water much less food.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When we got my dog spayed, she was so.. droopy. Her ears were down, her eyes were sad, and she wouldn't even wag her tail. I felt SO bad, she looked miserable, but she perked up after a couple days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When we got my dog spayed, she was so.. droopy. Her ears were down, her eyes were sad, and she wouldn't even wag her tail. I felt SO bad, she looked miserable, but she perked up after a couple days.
Yeah, that's exacly how she looks...

awwwww, my poor little baby!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Luckily my girl didn't get sick from the surgery but she went through some moodiness for a few days, towards her brother. She wanted him far away from her and I was ok with that. And then she was distant from me for about a month for some reason. (Not sure why that happened, it was like she was mad at me now looking back. My Vet said she was a drama queen and she was. All is good now. :) Most dogs are back to normal with in days.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
most girls I know of are quite down and can be a bit sore and generally look very downheartened for the first 24-48 hours, but by the 3rd day they're normally starting to feel better, and within 4 days you're trying to keep them from overdoing it and pulling their stitches!!! lol.

It's hearbreaking seeing them sooooo down, you feel terrible 'doing' that to them, but honestly, it'll be no more than 3 days and you'll be on the up and up!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I guess im the exception to the rule, all my girls who have been spayed were perky and in good spirits after their spays and there were no complications :)

just try and do your best to keep her quiet for a couple days so that she doesnt hurt herself, but even if she tries to run around or something she should be ok.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Kiba (my schnauzer) has such a horrible time afterwards. She came home and slept a good chunk then threw up (but only the one time). I was told to give them ice cubes in a crate and she LOVED those. She would try to lay down after she was feeling better and could not get low enough to drop without her tummy hurting so I eventually put her on her back on the couch with a pile of blankets and she slept a good day away. We had to go back and get pain meds when her incision was getting a little red and she had a slight fever. I stuck a tshirt on her so she could be free of the "cone of shame" and that worked well for us.

Though after giving her the pain meds she wanted to jump around and play and had to be crated again.LOL

I bet your pup will be fine, just keep an eye on her!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
most girls I know of are quite down and can be a bit sore and generally look very downheartened for the first 24-48 hours, but by the 3rd day they're normally starting to feel better, and within 4 days you're trying to keep them from overdoing it and pulling their stitches!!! lol.

It's hearbreaking seeing them sooooo down, you feel terrible 'doing' that to them, but honestly, it'll be no more than 3 days and you'll be on the up and up!
Totally agree! That's exactly how she looked. And that is definitely how i feel. It breaks my heart to see her so sad, she's used to mommy being able to cuddle with her and protect her and i can't... :crying:

How is she doing today?
Yesterday, i called home every 2-3 hours to find out how she was doing; and today i've been doing the same.

They said, she's been eating treats and this morning had a lot of water... which i guess is good. She's been laying on bed (real ppl's bed) since yesterday, and today she stood up and was walking around on the floor. So i guess those are good signs.

Can't wait for her to be 100% ok.
:)

Thanks everyone for all the information.. it has helped a lot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts