Poodle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tilly-cat sailed through blood and urine tests yesterday - I managed to keep her in the kitchen with two trays of non-absorbent litter overnight and she obligingly weed profusely in one, and she just sits and lets them take blood, so we were in and out in no time. She has gained a little weight (good news), her urine indicates early kidney disease but no diabetes (also goodish news) and blood test results should be back tomorrow.

Today I am up at silly o'clock (5.30am!) to take Sophy in for a dental - there were no slots available at my local surgery so I am taking her to the main hospital in Kendal, a rather longer drive. She does NOT understand why I neglected to give her breakfast while feeding all the other animals... I will be on pins till she is safely home, but her teeth definitely need attention and there is no point in putting it off. I will ask them to cut her nails while she is out for the count - she is very good about letting me do it but has pulled a couple in the past and is convinced that trimming them is going to hurt, so getting them done without the worry will be a small bonus for her. I have great trust in my vet, but it is going to be an anxious morning till she is safely home!

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh how worrying Mufar - I do hope it proves to be something manageable.

I have just phoned the vets - "Sophy is fine but Gerard needs to speak with you - can he call you back in half an hour?" Now my blood pressure is rocketing...!

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...And has dropped again - he just wanted to tell me all was fine, bloods were spot on, no extractions and she can now come home. Phew - that was an unpleasant 20 minutes!

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sophy is safe home after lunch and lots of cuddles at the vets. She is obviously feeling better by the hour - a snooze in the car on the way home was just what sjhe needed.

Hoping Scruffy does well on the special food and bounces back as quickly as Sophy!

Reactions: Skylar

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to say I thought Sophy's treatment was pretty reasonable - pre-anaesthetic bloods, anaesthetic, thorough tooth cleaning + nail clipping and what sounded like an extra special lunch came to less than £220/$280. My dentist charges that for dental work without even sedation!

Reactions: Skylar

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tilly-cat's blood and urine tests are now also in. SDMA down from 15 to 13, which is good, weight up slightly, which is also good. The other results were variable, but overall indicate early stage kidney disease, with no diabetes or other complicating factors. I have already adjusted her diet to reduce the phosphorus levels, and that is all my vet recommends at this stage - we will monitor with regular blood tests every 3 - 6 months and start drug treatment if it becomes necessary.

Now just Poppy's heart check to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.