Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, my dogs name is Lucky he’s 9 years old and is a tea cup white poodle. (We live in New York) Since last Friday we notice his tale was down and he wasn’t being his playful self. Saturday we took him to the vet for his shots and the vet said that he was fine perhaps he had an ear infection ok. He didn’t seem to be getting better so we made another appointment for him yesterday over at the aspca in Manhattan over at 92nd street. They did xrays that came back fine , they did blood work today we got a call for lucky blood work... Apparently the vet apparently that lucky has chronic liver disease! To my surprise!! They suggest that we take him to another vet because they don’t treat him for that we found a place but now they are telling me that they want to do a sonogram on Lucky to make sure it’s not cancer or his liver. You could imagine my heart break lucky is a big part of my family I really don’t want to put him
down just the thought of it breaks my heart and puts me in tears I don’t want my dog to die. and he was just fine last week, he doesn’t eat table food and he super friendly and active playful. I honestly don’t know what to do. I was researching chronic liver disease online and I came across this page I figured it could help me .

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'm so sorry :( You'll find lots of advice and understanding here.

When my mini mix's liver results were abnormal, it was the first indicator of Cushing's disease. She lived for years beyond those initial abnormal results, and when she first really started seeming "ill" it was actually her teeth that were causing her pain, and she was like a puppy again after her extractions.

So I'm going to be hopeful for you and Lucky, too. The vet is ruling out the biggest, scariest stuff, so don't jump to conclusions just yet. Enjoy Lucky and remind him every day how much he's loved.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Try not to leap ahead to the worst conclusion. Hang in there for further tests.

My non-poodle dog also faced a liver diagnosis with no obvious symptoms until she exhibited pain from internal bleeding. She had surgery to remove a mass that engulfed half of her liver. It is a slow growing cancer so, if it returns it’s likely that it won’t shorten her life (she’s 11 years). It was pretty scary; they weren’t able to biopsy before the surgery so I didn’t know what the prognosis would be. It was also a rough recovery from surgery . . . try getting meds in a dog that won’t eat. She is back to her peppy, cheerful self and ran in an agility trial 3 months post-surgery.

Hoping for the best outcome for Lucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My non-poodle dog also faced a liver diagnosis with no obvious symptoms until she exhibited pain from internal bleeding. She had surgery to remove a mass that engulfed half of her liver. It is a slow growing cancer so, if it returns it’s likely that it won’t shorten her life (she’s 11 years). It was pretty scary; they weren’t able to biopsy before the surgery so I didn’t know what the prognosis would be. It was also a rough recovery from surgery . . . try getting meds in a dog that won’t eat. She is back to her peppy, cheerful self and ran in an agility trial 3 months post-surgery.

Wow thank you this give me hope. Lucky is a rescue dog and he came in a perfect timing in my life I rescued him from the home he was in but he also rescued me
because the time my significant other passed away lucky enter my life... I’m happy your dog is doing well. And I hope and pray she continues to do so... I spoke to another vet today his primary vet the and I explained to her what was happening she said lucky blood results was find back in June, she asked me to send him the records that they gave me over at the aspca because it didn’t make any sense to her so they will have a meeting discussing lucky tomorrow and I guess do more testing etc. I’m hoping it can be an false positive or even mixed up his blood work with someone else it does happen sometimes. But hearing to your response was very helpful and it does give me hope!
Thank you so very much I’m happy I signed up here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I spoke to another vet today his primary vet the and I explained to her what was happening she said lucky blood results was find back in June, she asked me to send him the records that they gave me over at the aspca because it didn’t make any sense to her so they will have a meeting discussing lucky tomorrow and I guess do more testing etc. I’m hoping it can be an false positive or even mixed up his blood work with someone else it does happen sometimes. But hearing to your response was very helpful and it does give me hope!
I'm so sorry :( You'll find lots of advice and understanding here.

When my mini mix's liver results were abnormal, it was the first indicator of Cushing's disease. She lived for years beyond those initial abnormal results, and when she first really started seeming "ill" it was actually her teeth that were causing her pain, and she was like a puppy again after her extractions.

So I'm going to be hopeful for you and Lucky, too. The vet is ruling out the biggest, scariest stuff, so don't jump to conclusions just yet. Enjoy Lucky and remind him every day how much he's loved.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Aww I’m sorry for your mini, it’s crazy that her passing wasn’t even over her diagnose...
I spoke to another vet today his primary vet the and I explained to her what was happening she said lucky blood results was find back in June, she asked me to send him the records that they gave me over at the aspca because it didn’t make any sense to her so they will have a meeting discussing lucky tomorrow and I guess do more testing etc. I’m hoping it can be an false positive or even mixed up his blood work with someone else it does happen sometimes. But hearing to your response was very helpful and it does give me hope! I do plan to enjoy lucky I know we will over come this, 2years ago he had his first seizure and he over came that thank goodness he hasn’t had one since so I know he will over come this.

As I said in my last respond lucky is my rescue dog (hits how he got the name)I rescued him for a home and he rescued me when my significant other passed...

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Poppy was diagnosed with Acute Liver Failure just a week ago. She was very, very ill - on a drip at the vets for two days - and I was despairing. But with the right drugs and care she now has a reasonable chance of making a good recovery.

The liver is just about the only organ in the body that can regenerate itself, even after very extensive damage, and there are drugs and diets that can help. Plus many other disorders can throw up similar symptoms. I hope you vet has reassuring words for you tomorrow, but even if the blood test results are high there is hope.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My chihuahua also had high liver enzymes, though I didn't do further testing on him as he was already 14 at the time. He lived to be 18, I just lost him last week and he went peacefully in his sleep.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
I'm so sorry. I do hope your pup will be all right and get through this. It's so hard to accept when our dogs are ill and the prospect of losing them is just devastating. Stay hopeful. It's too early to know what's going on probably. Hang in there.

Mufar...I'm sorry. I must have missed it if you posted about this. So very sorry for your loss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts