Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really curious about the AKC standards for nose and lip color so I contacted a Judge I have been in contact with for information. This is the reply I got.

Lisa,
Concerning your question about the liver nose, lips,etc. The AKC breed standard reads as follow:
Color
The coat is an even and solid color at the skin. In blues, grays, silvers, browns, cafe-au-laits, apricots and creams the coat may show varying shades of the same color. This is frequently present in the somewhat darker feathering of the ears and in the tipping of the ruff. While clear colors are definitely preferred, such natural variation in the shading of the coat is not to be considered a fault. Brown and cafe-au-lait Poodles have liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, dark toenails and dark amber eyes. Black, blue, gray, silver, cream and white Poodles have black noses, eye-rims and lips, black or self colored toenails and very dark eyes. In the apricots while the foregoing coloring is preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted but are not desirable. Major fault: color of nose, lips and eye-rims incomplete, or of wrong color for color of dog.

Therefore, considering the dog is red, which in my opinion falls into the brown lines, liver is acceptable.

As for Checking out a litter of puppies, I would be more than happy to evaluate them for you.

Hope this helps,
Ray

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have been wondering about that lately also because Jenny's nose seems to be turning from black to something else. Not sure if it is liver or pink, its really strange. Is it normal for them to change? Not a big deal as I won't be showing her, but I am a little disappointed.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have been wondering about that lately also because Jenny's nose seems to be turning from black to something else. Not sure if it is liver or pink, its really strange. Is it normal for them to change? Not a big deal as I won't be showing her, but I am a little disappointed.
Really.... Does she have the black eye rim's (eye liner)? If she does and her nose pigment is changing I would give her sea kelp pills. We had to do that with our Amstaff Cherry. Here's the before (about 6-8 months old) and after (about 1.5 yrs) picks. Huge difference. I would still look into why that would be happening. Black from pink or liver sounds suspicious.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now I'm worried can this point to a health problem or something? Sam has had a pink spot on his nose before like your dog, but it was from a scar that was healing. Here are some pics one was taken mid Dec. and the other one today. I noticed this after I colored her pink. At first I thought it was from that but it isn't going away and doesn't seem like it is anything ON her nose. Her eye rims and lips are still very black.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sam I Am, i have seen people with black poodles at shows use a black magic marker to put on a pink spot on the nose from a scar.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sam I Am, i have seen people with black poodles at shows use a black magic marker to put on a pink spot on the nose from a scar.
Oh ya...we used to use the "dos nose" I think its called, black color for Cherry's nose before show's. For Cherry though, she was still getting her pigment on both eyes and nose (slowly) . Thats why we gave her the sea kelp because its supposed to improve the pigment. It worked as you can see but Im not sure what to think about Jenny's nose starting to turn lighter. Her eye liner (so I call it) is completely filled in and her nose had full pigment before.

Im going to try and look online a little later. See what I can find about that.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I forgot someone ...I think Randi at Bay Area Poodle rescue told me that Poodle's can get a sun burn on the nose. She said to use regular childrens/baby sunblock.

If it were me I would try the sea kelp and see if you can get the pigment back. It could take a good month before you really see any improvement but Cherry's breeder swears buy it. Amstaff's have a tendancy to not have full pigment when born or it doesn't fill in completely. The sea kelp kick's booty. lol

However, Jenni's adoarable either way but that black nose is so pretty.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for all the info ladies. I will try the sea kelp and see if that helps and if not maybe it will come back in the spring. Do I need to go to a health food store or can I find the pills at the drugstore?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks for all the info ladies. I will try the sea kelp and see if that helps and if not maybe it will come back in the spring. Do I need to go to a health food store or can I find the pills at the drugstore?
I think we got our's at target but its been so long now Im not certain. You never can go wrong at the health food store. I hope it works for Jenni.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sam I am - I would tell Julie about Jenny's nose changing (not that she doesn't look TOTALLY adorable with that little pink nose). But since Julie shows her dogs - I would let her know. Plus, I'd be curious to see what she says.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It seems that the sea kelp does an amazing job. We are buying it for Taffy. Her nose has lost the deep blackness she had as a baby and is a lighter black now. I thought it might had been due to being outside all summer in the sun. I'm hoping to get the same good results as others.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just a quick update on Jenny's nose, it did turn black again on its own this summer. Must have been the lack of sunshine Spoofan mentioned.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I personally think that the balck noses eye rims are much more striking..And more desireable as the standard says permitterd but not desireable.
In the apricots while the foregoing coloring is preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted but are not desirable. Major fault: color of nose, lips and eye-rims incomplete, or of wrong color for color of dog.
I feel like the red is more realted to the Apricot and not the brown IMHO :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I was really curious about the AKC standards for nose and lip color so I contacted a Judge I have been in contact with for information. This is the reply I got.

Therefore, considering the dog is red, which in my opinion falls into the brown lines, liver is acceptable.
This judge is incorrect. Genetically Red is in the Cream/Apricot spectrum NOT the Brown.

While liver pigment on an Apricot/Red is not a disqualifying fault, it is undesirable and frankly Poodle judges really hate to see it. One would be hard pressed to ever finish a Red or Apricot poodle who had liver pigment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts