Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I lost my standard poodle to liver disease yesterday. My poor baby was 7.5. It's tough to handle because we know that poodles are generally long living. I thought he was going to see my kids who we are planning to have soon, and it has made the grieving process difficult. The vet and internal medicine think it was something with the liver shunt, Chronic Hepatitis, or Liver cancer. The diagnosis was end stage liver failure. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. It could have been a few different things, and he didn't show severe distress signs until very late. Please be kind in your responses. Thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
I am so very sorry. It is always desperately hard to lose a much loved dog, and not knowing the cause can make it harder.

Poppy, my toy poodle, was diagnosed with acute liver failure just over a year ago. The signs were not obvious - she had a bout of bloody diarrhoea which cleared up quickly with metronidazole, but a week or so later started vomiting and then, for the first time in her life, refused a meal. Her vet did blood tests, although nothing was obviously wrong on examination, and phoned me to tell me to come back immediately for antibiotics - the liver results were off the scale. By next day she was very ill, and she spent two days at the vets on IV fluids and medication, coming home overnight. The plan was to do a biopsy to identify the exact cause, but she was too ill, so was treated with steroids, Destolit to thin bile, and Denamarin. She was more fortunate than your poor dog, and has recovered enough to have a good quality of life, despite the disease now being chronic.

My understanding is that many liver issues require a biopsy for a firm diagnosis - sometimes cancer is obvious from a scan, but not always. Blood tests will show that the liver is failing, but not necessarily what is causing the failure - with Poppy the hypothesis is that it was an infection, possibly related to pancreatitis, but we will probably never know. As I am sure you have, I have wondered whether she could gave picked up something toxic, or whether it could have been diet-related, or something else I could have prevented or might be able to prevent in the future, but have not been able to think of anything. I know that there have recently been dog foods recalled in the US for high aflatoxin levels, and that aflatoxin can cause liver disease, but then so can so many other things.

Grief hurts, and you must still be in shock, and trying to make sense of your loss. If it would help a little later to tell us your poodle's name and more about him there is a Pet Memorials section in the forum - many of us know the pain of losing a dog suddenly and too young, and can sympathise with how you are feeling.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am so very sorry. It is always desperately hard to lose a much loved dog, and not knowing the cause can make it harder.

Poppy, my toy poodle, was diagnosed with acute liver failure just over a year ago. The signs were not obvious - she had a bout of bloody diarrhoea which cleared up quickly with metronidazole, but a week or so later started vomiting and then, for the first time in her life, refused a meal. Her vet did blood tests, although nothing was obviously wrong on examination, and phoned me to tell me to come back immediately for antibiotics - the liver results were off the scale. By next day she was very ill, and she spent two days at the vets on IV fluids and medication, coming home overnight. The plan was to do a biopsy to identify the exact cause, but she was too ill, so was treated with steroids, Destolit to thin bile, and Denamarin. She was more fortunate than your poor dog, and has recovered enough to have a good quality of life, despite the disease now being chronic.

My understanding is that many liver issues require a biopsy for a firm diagnosis - sometimes cancer is obvious from a scan, but not always. Blood tests will show that the liver is failing, but not necessarily what is causing the failure - with Poppy the hypothesis is that it was an infection, possibly related to pancreatitis, but we will probably never know. As I am sure you have, I have wondered whether she could gave picked up something toxic, or whether it could have been diet-related, or something else I could have prevented or might be able to prevent in the future, but have not been able to think of anything. I know that there have recently been dog foods recalled in the US for high aflatoxin levels, and that aflatoxin can cause liver disease, but then so can so many other things.

Grief hurts, and you must still be in shock, and trying to make sense of your loss. If it would help a little later to tell us your poodle's name and more about him there is a Pet Memorials section in the forum - many of us know the pain of losing a dog suddenly and too young, and can sympathise with how you are feeling.
Thank you so much, and for sharing.

Thank you, I am going to check that out... I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
Welcome to you. I hope you find some comfort being surrounded by people who understand your grief. When you're ready to share some of your memories, we'll be here.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Condolences - Very hard to lose a loved companion. Know that all of us are here for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much. It has been really kind of people to help out and offer their ear/condolences. I never thought that standards really could get a vicious disease so young, and that's been something I am trying to wrap my head around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm so sorry. Sometimes the odds just aren't in your favor for whatever reason. Knowing you are going to lose them some day is a real blow when you realize that "some day" is suddenly "today".

In 2017, I lost the best, and simultaneously worst, dog I've ever owned to hemangiosarcoma at only 7 1/2. Ilka was fine on Friday. Saturday morning, she threw up. She got kind of depressed over the weekend, and didn't want to eat much. I took her to the vet Monday, but they couldn't find anything wrong other than she had an upset stomach, and we all just assumed that the neighbor kids had tossed something over the fence and she had found it before I or on of he other dogs did. Tuesday, she was even worse, so I took her back, and she was hospitalized for observation. She went downhill rapidly. I had her euthanized that evening. Her (hopeful) successor was born last night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guys I lost my standard poodle to liver disease yesterday. My poor baby was 7.5. It's tough to handle because we know that poodles are generally long living. I thought he was going to see my kids who we are planning to have soon, and it has made the grieving process difficult. The vet and internal medicine think it was something with the liver shunt, Chronic Hepatitis, or Liver cancer. The diagnosis was end stage liver failure. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. It could have been a few different things, and he didn't show severe distress signs until very late. Please be kind in your responses. Thank you so much.
Heartbreaking! It’s hard to lose your dog, a family member, so unexpectedly. You may not ever know for sure what caused your spoo‘s illness, but it’s clear you loved your dog and did everything possible for him or her. Take care 🙏

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so sorry. Sometimes the odds just aren't in your favor for whatever reason. Knowing you are going to lose them some day is a real blow when you realize that "some day" is suddenly "today".

In 2017, I lost the best, and simultaneously worst, dog I've ever owned to hemangiosarcoma at only 7 1/2. Ilka was fine on Friday. Saturday morning, she threw up. She got kind of depressed over the weekend, and didn't want to eat much. I took her to the vet Monday, but they couldn't find anything wrong other than she had an upset stomach, and we all just assumed that the neighbor kids had tossed something over the fence and she had found it before I or on of he other dogs did. Tuesday, she was even worse, so I took her back, and she was hospitalized for observation. She went downhill rapidly. I had her euthanized that evening. Her (hopeful) successor was born last night.
I'm so sorry to read your story. What a shame, they only deserve the best our dogs.

Thank you so much for sharing though... I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heartbreaking! It’s hard to lose your dog, a family member, so unexpectedly. You may not ever know for sure what caused your spoo‘s illness, but it’s clear you loved your dog and did everything possible for him or her. Take care 🙏
Thank you so much, and it's absolutely true. Everything possible. <3

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I'm just seeing this post now, and I'm so sorry you're going through this. I lost my childhood spoo, Midnight, at 5.5 years old to bloat. Her death was so sudden, and so confusing because we knew nothing about bloat and torsion. She celebrated Labor Day with us, swimming at the lake and eating hot dogs, and the next day was restless and couldn't settle. By the time we took her to the vet, we had waited far too long, and the surgeons couldn't undo the damage. My younger brothers and I were heartbroken. My current spoo will be 11 years old this summer, and she has been a delight since the day she came home with me. Watching her grow up and grow older has really showed me how young Midnight was when she died.

There are quite a few members here who lost dogs too young. I hope you find comfort sharing your story here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts