Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to share my little grooming victory from today. I have had the hardest time getting Kala's hair blown out like a show poodle. I bathe her once a week and dry for a long time but it never looks like the show spoos. So today I used the slicker and brushed/dryed at the same time. Not only did it take a lot less time but her coat was much straighter and fluffier. It wasn't perfect, but much better. I am so happy to see progress.

Also, for a while there she was giving me trouble with drying her hair. I took some advice from another post of mine from flyingduster and I just took control. We have worked on it for the last couple of weeks and today she was a dream!!! She let me dry her head with no problems whatsoever. It is so amazing how if you are persitent in training-it pays off. Now if i could just get her in a down position-lol. I will before too long.

Also, we are really enjoying our conformation classes and Kala is doing so well. We go every Saturday morning and an AKC judge teaches the class. She is very helpful and it has become really fun. I just want to say thanks to everyone here on the forum for your advice and support. We still have a long way to go before our first show and our next obedience class to master the down, but it is fun having such a great group of people to share it with. Thanks to all of you!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It sounds like everything is coming together. You'll have to be very careful with slickers and drying show coats.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have no luck with pin brushes as my MAIN brush. I use the Les Pooches brushes to wrip thru snarls then the chris christenson to separate and brush.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Learning how to properly dry the hair is key. DO you have a HV dryer? A stand dryer? You want to dry at the skin, and do one area at a time. I start from the left rear leg, and work my way up to the hip/butt, and forward. I use my CC pin brush, when hair is nearly dry. And I agree that you need to be very careful using a slicker, and make sure that it's a soft slicker - you can easily damage show coat.

Hasn't your breeder shown you how to care for show coat, and what tools to use?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I know and have been taught by the owner of the company and the designers of the brushes how to use them correctly. I can do it without pulling out any density and it DOES not cause breakage. I have ALL the colors and I use them according to what I need it to do. They also have a new line of combs. My HAIR is so healthy, there is no damage, I assure you. These brushes are NOT for people who are used to vigorous brushing. I would NEVER recommend one to a client. They can cause damage to skin. Its the same reason I never recommend Furminators to clients. However, I use them when they are required.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I know and have been taught by the owner of the company and the designers of the brushes how to use them correctly. I can do it without pulling out any density and it DOES not cause breakage. I have ALL the colors and I use them according to what I need it to do. They also have a new line of combs. My HAIR is so healthy, there is no damage, I assure you. These brushes are NOT for people who are used to vigorous brushing. I would NEVER recommend one to a client. They can cause damage to skin. Its the same reason I never recommend Furminators to clients. However, I use them when they are required.
Have you ever grown a full AKC show coat? It is one thing to rip through tangles when a coat is 2-3" long and another thing all together when the coat is 8-10" long.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I comb the hair out and get the tangles out one by one before I dry(really before I wash and then again before I dry). So the brush really just goes through the hair, but I definitely don't want to break the coat so I will use a lighter pin brush. I have found a Poodle groomer that also shows at my conformation class. She has agreed to teach me what she knows starting this weekend. She is going to help me get Kala show-ready. I have seen her dogs and they are well groomed. I will be paying her so hopefully this will go better than the lady that volunteered to help me and didn't come through.

In an update, Kala did fantastic(considering where we started) at Saturday's conformation class and I am even getting the hang of it. I am so ready to get in the ring.

We are going to the Poodle Specialty this weekend(as spectators), so I will let all know how it goes.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Learning how to properly dry the hair is key. DO you have a HV dryer? A stand dryer?

Hasn't your breeder shown you how to care for show coat, and what tools to use?
I have a 4.0 hp hand held. I want to get a stand dryer also but haven't invested in one just yet.

No, not possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts