Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a comment on my Facebook page from a lady who was interested in a spoo pup in the future. Her grand daughter is waiting on a service dog(a standard poodle) I had no idea how expensive these dogs are!
I offered to help out in fundraising or whatever else I can help with. Here is a letter from the lady (her name is Tami) She has given me permission to post her address and phone number, if anyone wants to phone or write with questions or words of encouragement.

Amber, I appreciate your offer to help us with our goal of getting Madison a service dog.. Here is a short version of our story..

My husband, Douglas and I are raising our two grandchildren, Madison 10 in July, and Jacob 8 1/2. We are also raising our adopted daughter Anna 9 1/2 from Russia. We live just north of Roanoke Virginia, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My husband is retired Army and served for 22 years, spending 7 years at Ft. Bragg, NC..
All three children suffer from disease called Osteogenesis Imperfecta. It is a metabolic disorder that effects the collagen in the body. It damages the structure in the bones making the children fracture over and over again. Madison has it the most severely. She has gone down hill and is fracturing more and more. We cannot figure out yet what is going on. She has had approximately 35 major breaks and 13 orthopedic surgeries.. Recently on Monday, March 29th Madison broke her fibula in her lower left leg while just sitting on the floor playing with a doll house. 5 days later on Friday, April 2nd, she was getting on the couch and her leg twisted and her and I both heard it break several times. She ended up with a comminuted fracture of her femur. The 4th time on that leg in a year.
As a family we have decided to get Madison a service dog. She also has asthma and slight autism, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from being kidnapped and missing for 8 weeks. She has the goal of wanting to go to school and not have to have a personal aide with her at all times. Her biological mother has the same disease and did very well in high school with her service dog, a black lab named Brutus. For Madison we chose to get a standard poodle for several reasons. They do not shed, and since she has asthma that is wonderful, standard poodles have a lighter touch and are very versatile in actually finding ways to help. They are extremely intelligent and loving. This service poodle will be able to brace her and help her up off the floor and out of chairs and bed. It will walk slowly and let her hold on to her so she doesn't fall. It will help her up stairs, go for help, pull her in her wheelchair when she tires.. and so many other things. Her service dog will also help her have a constant friend when she is forgotten by school mates when she can't keep up. It will also make it so much easier for people to approach her, the dog will give them something to talk about and they won't just see the wheelchair or walker...
Madison is a very kind, sweet, and loving child, with an amazing sense of humor. She is a very brave child that as soon as she can gets right back up on her walker and tries to start walking again after surgeries and fractures... Right now with this last fracture she has not been able to move in two weeks. I have no doubt that as soon as she can she will start trying to stand again.... She is a fighter.
We thank you so very much for any help that you are willing to give in the pursuit of funding for this service dog. We have found a wonderful but small organization called the Jasmine Charitable Trust in Hampton VA. They only train standard poodles, and have accepted Madison as one of the few children they work with. We were delighted to find out that due to a cancellation by one person, that there might already be a match for Madison. It is crucial that we try and raise 11,000 as soon as possible. It is our goal that Madison be able to start 5th grade with her new companion...
Thank you for letting us tell our story...

If you would like more information on Madison's disease you can go to Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation:
to check out the organization where we are getting her service poodle, please go to The Jasmine Charitable Trust Home Page

Big Hugs To All, Tami Helms

515 Etzler Rd.
Troutville, VA 24175

540-597-9203

Madison is the girl with the pink mittens in the first picture. :) any fundraiser ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I couldn't find any link on the site for sending a donation :rolffleyes: Is it OK to send money on the listed private address in this post ???

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would be very, very careful about giving money. Check everything out first. I had a service dog training group contact me about donating a dog. These folks had ZERO experience training service animals, yet they hung out a shingle and they were planning on charging their unsuspecting client $7000 for a "trained" dog.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm with cbrand on this.

I don't know a lot about this disorder, but what are the odds that all three children would have it, especially as one is not biologically related to the other two? I'm not saying they don't, but when coupled with the "we must raise $11,000 as soon as possible" for a dog that was suddenly available due to a cancellation, well, it just seems a little off.

Yes, I am a very skeptical person. I was married to a con artist (seriously--he did time for it), so the red flags tend to get raised when the words "as soon as possible" are coupled with large amounts of money and improbable yet heart-wrenching situations. Sorry!

Frostfire, do you actually know this person, or did they send a message to a group you belong to?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
What a touching story. I would be more than happy to contribute to a solid foundation.

I thought it was a bit strange so to speak that they would foster a child after living with 2 children in the conditions they are in. BUt you never know, some people that live through this want to help those they can. Also where did the money go from the first dog?

I also had no idea of the cost - I have a friend that does the training for GS service dogs. They are not paid, including food. I am not sure about Vet bills, I might ask him about this come to think of it.

I would think a breeder might be able to donate a dog, to someone that can train and certify a dog for them - this would be much cheaper. They do not have to go through a foundation so to speak.

I would be interested to hear more......

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not know her personally, but I myself wouldn't send money to the personal address either, but rather to the foundation or a fund for the dog, something like that.

They knew the adopted child had the disorder before they adopted her. They wanted to help a child in need.

LOL to all the skeptics. My exact thoughts in the order I thought them were:
1) awww crappy luck
2) oh I am not donating a puppy to someone, unless its a foundation
3) well how can I help if this isn't a scam

I am eternally skeptical, and a big mush at the same time.

I think I will be calling the foundation in the morning, and seeing if they have a way for people to send money toward the price of the doggie.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh yes, I absolutely know that there are "scammers" out there ... but yet again... there are people that are in a need also : ((.

I will not loose anything sending 20 bucks - and if somebody needs it - I am glad I helped. If somebody steeled from me - it goes to "their karma" ; )

I can not ever pass the hand extended to me on the street - even when it is obvious it will go for a booze *sigh - if that will make his/her life on the street easier - than let it be my buck : (((

I am a "bleeding heart" and I know it - I can not change it or even want to LOL

PS: I know of a person who had a kid with a Down's Syndrome and than adopted 2 with the same condition - she wanted to help kids who would never get adopted ... people do different things for different reasons.

This person can be dishonest - but as I said ... small donation will not make any change in my life.

Actually - I found on the net that service dog training and placement costs 10,000-15,000 $ and for hearing impaired 20,000 $

1 - 7 of 7 Posts