Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today one of my poodles has got something wrong with his eyes, maybe an infection. They look ok to me but he is not opening his eyes, he just sits there with his eyes closed. Ive tried human Broline eye drops and also cleaned his eyes with boiled water but this did not help. He can open his eyes to run about but they must be sore because he just keeps them shut or squints to see.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? and what I can do to help.

If he is still bad tomorrow ill take him to the vets.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I wouldn’t wait in case it’s an eye infection or cornea damage. He may also have some debris in the eye that might need to be washed out properly so as to not cause cornea scratches.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its both eyes so probably conjunctivitis, ive been watching youtube vets.

Sure I wont let him suffer but sometimes ive got great advice from forums or pet shops making it faster and cheaper to treat my dogs. It will cost £200 ($300) for the appointment and I could do without that bill if easily avoidable.

In the morning im going to try the green tea eye wash then 1 hour later ill try the honey in warm water. If that doesnt work ill be going to the vets for sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I think if it’s something that will go on it’s own, it will take a few minutes, maybe 1-2 hours. More than that and I would be going to the vet.

You don’t want to take chances with his eyes.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hi Anthony,

Is there any discharge? Are the whites of his eyes discolored? Does the area seem a bit swollen? Is he trying to rub his eyes with his paws? Is he otherwise acting normally?

An injury to the cornea can result in trying to keep both eyes closed. If it should be an injury, a minor one may heal on it's own after a nights sleep, if anything like a human. If cornea and not minor, it can turn badly if not treated by a vet-to loss of sight/loss of eye.

Whatever the problem, if he's not improved by morning, do as you planned and go to the vet. It's almost always less expensive to not wait when things don't improve quickly.

I hope things have otherwise been well for you all.

Rose

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No discharge but the whites are a bit red.

The good news is it seems to be going this morning, the Brolene Eye Drops must be working. His eyes are probably still sore but he can keep them open now.

Thanks for your advice as always :)

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
You should bring your pup to the vet, DRY EYE Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca (KCS) can affect both eyes.

http://https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/keratoconjunctivitis-sicca-kcs-or-dry-eye-in-dogs
I totally agree with this post. My girl has the eye disease and for 12 years it has cost me 100.00 per month for medication and she is 15. She has a discharge and the whites of the eyes are very red. It is to the point I do they every morning and she lets me know if I am late, at first had to do 3 times a day, now normally twice. And it has to hurt her

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Seriously, VET TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mvinotime

·
Registered
477 Posts
the green tea eye wash then 1 hour later ill try the honey in warm water.
Do not put tea or honey in your eyes or your dogs eyes. Use only sterile vet-approved optical solutions. There can be a place for emergency eye flushes with clean water, but this pup needs to see a vet.

Good luck to your dog, may s/he have many years of good vision!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts