Poodle Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Thanks for all your encouragements. I still have to find the best food for Beckie. She is licking her behind. This week made me realize that she probably doesn’t have anal glands problems. She Is having food allergies. Her glands have just been emptied, so it can’t be the reason why she is licking.

The low fat food is good on her pancreas, but not good for her allergies. i just got a new bag of food from the vet that I planned to make her eat to heal her before switching to commercial raw. Now I don’t know if the culprit is this new food, or the tiny bit of cranberry or duck treat I gave her (over three days).

I’m very confused. This morning I gave her boiled rice and chicken, in the hopes to « reset » everything so the itchiness disappears and I can really test one food at a time and find out what is the problem.

Maybe I should just try raw right away. I might go get a sample, just in case I decide to go that route.

Ohhhh, Beckie I love you but feeding you is soooooo complicated !

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I wish I could help with advice on the food, but such a nice change to worrying about what to put in instead of what's coming out :).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fluffy has a mild beef allergy, and his symptoms are similar to what you describe, only he also chews his feet. What flavor is the food that you’re feeding her right now?

It could also be taking a while for her bum to heal. It took Fluffy a couple of weeks before he stopped trying to lick it after his episode.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Fluffy has a mild beef allergy, and his symptoms are similar to what you describe, only he also chews his feet. What flavor is the food that you’re feeding her right now?

It could also be taking a while for her bum to heal. It took Fluffy a couple of weeks before he stopped trying to lick it after his episode.
Right now she is eating chicken breast from the grocery store with boiled basmati rice. I put her back to this in the hope it would stop her allergies.

I think I need to resume the cold butt showers... She might be like your Fluffy and need more time to heal.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Poppy has had liquid poos for the last day or two. I'm hoping it is from the high fat vet meal on Thursday, and not something new... This afternoon Sophy discovered half a pizza down by the river - she had grabbed a bite before I saw and told her to drop it, but Poppy was very good and left it when I asked her to, thank heavens. There are lots of people picnicking there in the warm weather - I shall have to keep my eyes peeled.

I would stick with what is working till Becky is no longer sore, and then change just one thing at a time.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I would stick with what is working till Becky is no longer sore, and then change just one thing at a time.
That’s the problem, nothing seems to be working. She had a soft stool this morning from the chicken and rice. I’m going to try a formula recommended by a dog nutritionist I contacted. It’s raw turkey, very low fat (3%).

Honestly I don’t know what to do anymore and where I’m from, vets don’t know anything about food other than what they sell (Royal Canin, Hills and similar brands). They are against feeding raw also, so you can’t have advice on that. Everything is so confusing. I’ve been reading on a FB groupe about dog pancreatitis but even the info there is sometimes contradictory,

I’m thinking about getting the Nutriscan from Dr Jean Dodds but it’s 398$ USD and after spending so much this month on the dogs, I can’t afford it just now.

I feel so lost, it seems impossible to get professional help...

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I have had good results with the RC Sensitivity, but I think you have already tried that. I think I would be wary of feeding raw if she has digestive issues, but home cooked could be a good alternative. The same advantages of knowing precisely what she is eating, without the downside of a high infection risk.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Personally, I would go with the chicken and rice for a few days, if possible, and then transition—slowly—to a better food. I’d also give some vitamin supplement on the side while doing said chicken and rice. Raw seems a little risky to me, as since Beckie already has pancreas issues, anything that could invite infection could make her much worse. I would only recommend raw if the dog suffering from allergies is already strong. It’s like changing from a standard, sugary diet to vegetarian because of sensitivity after you’ve had the flu—maybe it’s better for you, but the initial yucky feeling is going to be much worse, and if you catch something you’ll have a harder time fighting it off than if you were eating things you were already used to. Home cooked, like fjm mentioned, is a good alternative.

If you do decide raw, make sure to stay far away from the Instinct Raw brand of food. Their small breed formula is what made my dogs so sick.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I have had good results with the RC Sensitivity, but I think you have already tried that
Royal Canin hypoallergenic is what started the whole thing for both dogs. Is it the same ? She won’t eat RC gastro low fat (Kibble) but will eat Hills i/d (Kibble). After she ate it though she was licking her behind more, which made me wary of it and stop.

I think I would be wary of feeding raw if she has digestive issues, but home cooked could be a good alternative. The same advantages of knowing precisely what she is eating, without the downside of a high infection risk.
Unfortunately cooking for them is not an option, I can do it in case of emergency but not long term.

If you do decide raw, make sure to stay far away from the Instinct Raw brand of food. Their small breed formula is what made my dogs so sick.
Thank you. I bought samples from Bold, a Canadian company. It was recommended to me by a dog nutritionist I wrote to. He says he has customers who have dogs with Pancreatitis who do well on it.

The vet called me today and she explained things more in details. She says there is no evidence that Beckie has any inflammatory illness so I could even put her back on her old food if I wanted to. She thinks she might be licking her behind because of seasonal allergies but she does it in winter too so I doubt it. So I need to try something I never did, and raw is about all that’s left.

She said if Beckies has another episode, then we need to do a complete ultrasound, blood work and test for Addison’s.

So basically I have no real answers, and no real solid plan.

Oh, and Beckie has protruding salivary glands as her normal, but after I groomed her I noticed they are 2-3 times their usual size. She had liquid extracted from them and analyzed already and it came back normal. One more thing without answers. I called the vet back and left a message, I would like to tell her to see what she thinks.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I started the raw turkey this morning. I really don’t like giving raw, I’m scared of bacterias for myself. I think I’ll do it for a few months, and if she does well on it, I’ll try dehydrated raw.

And maybe I’ll have her do a Nutriscan in a few months too.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Don’t want to bug ya, but how is everyone doing? Back to Perfect Poos all the time? 😄
No bugging, thanks for asking ! So far so good, she has really nice, firm and very small poop most of the time. She likes to eat bugs and it’s hard to control... She has become the little monster she used to be, just the way I like her, lol !

She also seems to be less proned to licking her behind but it’s too early to draw conclusions. Fingers crossed !

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Here's hoping! I feel your pain - Poppy has had diarrhoea for a week now - soft but formed in the morning, splat later in the day. She is now on good old metronidazole, and a new digestive paste - unfortunately not one she likes as much as the previous one, which she would lick from the tube like a treat. If I get too worried about her Sophy picks up on my stress and starts with the squits herself... Oh, the joys of dog ownership - no one ever tells you that you will become an expert in the colour and texture of poo, and welcome the perfect one like flowers that bloom in the spring!

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Here's hoping! I feel your pain - Poppy has had diarrhoea for a week now - soft but formed in the morning, splat later in the day. She is now on good old metronidazole, and a new digestive paste - unfortunately not one she likes as much as the previous one, which she would lick from the tube like a treat. If I get too worried about her Sophy picks up on my stress and starts with the squits herself... Oh, the joys of dog ownership - no one ever tells you that you will become an expert in the colour and texture of poo, and welcome the perfect one like flowers that bloom in the spring!
Oh noooo, poor Poppy ! I hope her tummy gets better soon !

·
Registered
171 Posts
No bugging, thanks for asking ! So far so good, she has really nice, firm and very small poop most of the time. She likes to eat bugs and it’s hard to control... She has become the little monster she used to be, just the way I like her, lol !

She also seems to be less proned to licking her behind but it’s too early to draw conclusions. Fingers crossed
Yay!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this Dechi!! Poor girl! My toy had vomiting and diarrhea a few months ago due to stress (he had stayed overnight with someone from Rover and developed what the vet called stress colitis the day he returned home). Although Becky's issue is not stress related, I wanted to pass along the antibiotic that the vet prescribed because she says it's used on dogs with GI and diarrhea issues to bind them up. It was Metronidazole 62.5 mg/ml. My toy is 5 pounds, and the dose was .4 ml every 12 hrs by mouth for diarrhea. It worked in binding him up, no more diarrhea, and after a few days he did a HUGE man sized, solid poop. The vet also gave him one time IV fluids (the kind that makes a big ball on their body).

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Although Becky's issue is not stress related, I wanted to pass along the antibiotic that the vet prescribed because she says it's used on dogs with GI and diarrhea issues to bind them up. It was Metronidazole 62.5 mg/ml. My toy is 5 pounds, and the dose was .4 ml every 12 hrs by mouth for diarrhea. It worked in binding him up, no more diarrhea, and after a few days he did a HUGE man sized, solid poop. The vet also gave him one time IV fluids (the kind that makes a big ball on their body).
Beckie had the same antibiotics, and fluids also. Her dose was 0,36 ml twice a day. She also had 4-5 other meds on top, I can’t remember them all. This antibiotic is also what stopped the diarrhea but it took her like 5-6 days before she did a stool. I was getting worried...

101 - 119 of 119 Posts