Poodle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
For Beckie, can she have pedialyte in place of or in addition to the plain water? If she can, that might help improve her internal balance.
Also, I don't remember if diaper rash cream or hemorrhoid cream was mentioned to help soothe her bum? That would mean panties for her, I expect.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
For Beckie, can she have pedialyte in place of or in addition to the plain water? If she can, that might help improve her internal balance.
I haven’t thought of asking. I will next time I talk to the vet. She had a very nice, big and pretty firm stool this morning ! I never thought I’d be so happy about seeing poop...

Also, I don't remember if diaper rash cream or hemorrhoid cream was mentioned to help soothe her bum? That would mean panties for her, I expect.
In the beginning I applied zinc oxyde, then read it was dangerous to lick and stopped. But yesterday I was pulling my hair because she was hurting so much, even with the 5-6 cold bum showers per day. So I decided to use it again. I watch her all day and take it off at night at bedtime, because I can’t watch her. Her rectum is starting to heal, which probably is a big factor in her doing a BM this morning.

I do have female diapers in case I need it too. Thank you Rose ! :)

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Poor little sausage. I know just what you mean about the joy of a Perfect Poo - after Poppy's illness I watch her poos extremely carefully.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Poppy was diagnosed with acute liver failure in January but has always had occasional episodes of digestive upsets. I think they were more acid reflux and gastritis than pancreatitis, although it can be hard to disentangle everything. Royal Canin sensitivity cans, a prescribed anti-acid and a few doses of prescription tummy paste usually did the trick, until things got rapidly and disastrously worse at the start of the year. We still don't know the root cause of the liver failure - possibilities ranged from a bacterial infection to toxins to a tumour - but so far she is doing well. She is much older than Becky, though - just turned 11 yesterday.

In retrospect I should have controlled her diet much more closely - she is a gannet and gobbles everything she can, but since she has been on a special hepatic diet, plain chicken and only home made treats things have been decidedly better. Any deviation and she may have runny poos for a day or two. I particularly suspect treats with glycerine. I am not prepared to confirm it by experimentation, but episodes are far less frequent since I supplied all the kind neighbours who love to give the dogs treats with pots of home-made nibbles, and banned shop ones.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I haven’t thought of asking. I will next time I talk to the vet. She had a very nice, big and pretty firm stool this morning ! I never thought I’d be so happy about seeing poop...

In the beginning I applied zinc oxyde, then read it was dangerous to lick and stopped. But yesterday I was pulling my hair because she was hurting so much, even with the 5-6 cold bum showers per day. So I decided to use it again. I watch her all day and take it off at night at bedtime, because I can’t watch her. Her rectum is starting to heal, which probably is a big factor in her doing a BM this morning.

I do have female diapers in case I need it too. Thank you Rose ! :)
I read diaper rash ointment even Boudreaux's Butt Paste or just the zinc oxide your already using. I guess she could wear the cone while she heals. I'm not so sure about coconut oil, my dogs love it and would be licking it even more. I am glad to hear she is already healing. I swore by zinc oxide for years.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
We still don't know the root cause of the liver failure - possibilities ranged from a bacterial infection to toxins to a tumour - but so far she is doing well.
I’m glad to hear Poppy is doing well. Her conditions sounds like Beckie’s, except for the liver failure.

but since she has been on a special hepatic diet, plain chicken and only home made treats things have been decidedly better.
I made a recipe of overcooked rice and boiled chicken for Beckie today. The technician said to use extra lean ground beef, but I already had boiled chicken that I had made for her. And I read chicken had less fat than ground beef. She loved it but she burped once about 2 hours after eating, and once again one hour later. I wonder if that should concern me ? (She doesn’t burp with the i/d or Royal canin canned food, but she won’t eat it anymore).

Also, would you care to share what Poppy’s treats are ? I’m desperate to find a little something extra to give Beckie...

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
The treats are cooked skinless chicken breast, an egg, a splash of the water the chicken was cooked in, all pureed with enough flour to make it into a batter. If you don't want to use wheat flour, rice flour will work. I spread it into the dimples in a silicone fat saver mat, and bake for 20 minutes or so in a medium oven, then dry the little biscuits out in a low oven so they will keep. I made a similar batch using the canned sensitive diet, with added water and flour, when I was avoiding anything that might cause upset.

Poppy went off both the sensitive and hepatic diets, I think associating them with the nausea and tummy aches she had been feeling. Like you I made rice and chicken, and then oatmeal and chicken, as that was a better solution for the liver problems. Eventually she decided the hepatic food was edible if I added a little chicken and its cooking water - might be worth trying that with the sensitive diet. I froze the canned food in ice cube trays to avoid throwing so much away each time I opened a can.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The treats are cooked skinless chicken breast, an egg, a splash of the water the chicken was cooked in, all pureed with enough flour to make it into a batter. If you don't want to use wheat flour, rice flour will work. I spread it into the dimples in a silicone fat saver mat, and bake for 20 minutes or so in a medium oven, then dry the little biscuits out in a low oven so they will keep. I made a similar batch using the canned sensitive diet, with added water and flour, when I was avoiding anything that might cause upset.

Poppy went off both the sensitive and hepatic diets, I think associating them with the nausea and tummy aches she had been feeling. Like you I made rice and chicken, and then oatmeal and chicken, as that was a better solution for the liver problems. Eventually she decided the hepatic food was edible if I added a little chicken and its cooking water - might be worth trying that with the sensitive diet. I froze the canned food in ice cube trays to avoid throwing so much away each time I opened a can.
So much good advice, thank you !

Would regular white flour work as well or not ?

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I use whatever flour I have - ordinary white would be fine.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Poppy had a bile stim test yesterday, which involves 12 hours fasting, a blood test, a highish fat meal, and another blood test two hours later. High stress, high fat - you can guess how we spent our evening as a result... Two doses of tummy paste a few hours apart seemed to do the trick, but it was late by the time we got to bed. I hope things are improving for your two.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Hope things are settling down for you all 🐾
Everyone is doing really well and my anxiety has gone down as a result. :)

Beckie is back to her old self and both dogs are having nice, firm stools and eating well. Thank you for asking !

Poppy had a bile stim test yesterday, which involves 12 hours fasting, a blood test, a highish fat meal, and another blood test two hours later. High stress, high fat - you can guess how we spent our evening as a result.
Poor Poppy and mom ! What is the purpose of this test ?

While you’re here, I’m thinking of feeding frozen raw food and a pet nutritionist has recommended this food for Beckie. It has really low fat. What do you think about it?

Description
Bold Turkey for Dogs is a tasty and nutritious raw dog food, offering a low glycemic and low carbohydrate option that models the natural prey diet of a dog. It’s expensive but not as much as vet bills...

Bold Raw meat passes strict safety inspections for human consumption and is only sourced from government-inspected facilities that meet these same safety standards. Each formula is made from meats that are antibiotic and hormone free and come from local Canadian farms.

Available in a 6.5 lb bag of 5 oz patties (20 patties per bag).

Ingredients:
Turkey with bone (triple ground), beef tripe, turkey liver, and kelp.

Nutritional Facts:

Moisture % – 80.44
Protein % – 13.68
Calcium % – 0.27
Phosphorus % – 0.19
Sodium % – 0.16
Potassium % – 0.19
Magnesium % – 0.02
Zinc (ppm) – 17.81
Manganese (ppm) – 3
Copper (ppm) – 1
Iron (ppm) – 87.39
Fibre % – 2
Fat % – 3
cal/100g – 129
Carbohydrate % – 0
kcal/kg – 1290

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Excellent news that things are improving. Oddly enough turkey is the one meat that is guaranteed to upset Sophy, so I avoid it. A pity, as it is a low calorie protein if the fat is removed.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts