Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Update : no diarrhea or vomiting for Merlin today. He is eating and drinking.

This morning, Beckie had her first stool since Sunday and it was diarrhea so I took her back to the vet. They prolonged her meds and added an anti-parasitic. We don’t know what’s wrong but since her treatment isn’t working, they want to eliminate the possibility of parasites.

The butt obsession is most probably due to her frantic licking. The more it burns, the more she licks and the more it burns... So I was told to give her cold butt showers 3-4 times a day for 5 minutes. Her glands are okay. The vet emptied them and the liquid was light brown (to me it’s green, obviously I can’t tell the difference, lol).

The vet suggested some tests to find out what’s going on and we decided to start with an abdominal ultrasound. It might give clues as to what is going on. Addison is still among the possible causes, and we might end up testing for it depending on the results.

Her appointment is tomorrow morning, and I should have the results in the afternoon. To be followed.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm glad Merlin hasn't had diarrhea or any vomiting, and is eating and drinking. Poor Beckie. I am hoping everything will be fine at the vet tomorrow, and for good results. Sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
People are disgusting ! Following PeggyTheParti’s suggestion, I went to look if the city had used pesticides or insecticides near my property line. There weren’t any, but I found a bunch of kleenex covered with excrements. Some loose, some in a ball.

They were behind the cedar hedge, where Beckie and Merlin often go and where I can’t see unless I go outside the property line, in the alley. I’m not even sure if they were human or dog excrements. Totally disgusting. Whey would someone throw that on my property ?

It is definitely possible Beckie ate some, and maybe Merlin also. I told the vet but we’re sticking with the plan. The antiparasitic she is taking is large spectrum and we should see if there are foreign objects in the stomach with the ultrasound.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Great good heavens! I was thinking they were getting into some kind of plant life or something dead, not that! What is wrong with some people?

If this was the cause, then hopefully things will clear up soon. You're smart to go ahead as planned, just in case.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
We’re back from the vet. Beckie’s ultrasound showed signs of pancreatitis, not acute, but probably chronic. She said I could treat her home and added another anti-nausea and pain medicine on top of what she had. She thinks she has chronic pancreatis on top of her gastroenteritis, which hopefully is on the mend. She will be on gastro low fat food, most probably for life.

I have to monitor her for the next few days and we will decide if we do more testing, for Addison’s maybe.

I’m overwhelmed to say the least. I have dozens of meds to prepare for both dogs and it gets very confusing. Beckie is good but Merlin is refusing to take it. I have to find a way to give it to him but the more I stress over it, the more anxious he gets and won’t eat.

I can’t wait until this is over.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Not the sort of news you were hoping for but having a probable diagnosis is good. That means there can be a plan and plans make things routine. Routine makes things manageable. I think that might be a light I see
You’re absolutely right. I’m just a little too fed up today to see the light, but I know it’s there ! :)

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
When I hit the multiple medicines for different animals point I invested in a pil sorter - one with a separate little box for each day - and a lot of chicken breast, which fortunately all the animals can still eat if it is fat free. Once Poppy understood that "Medicine time!" meant chunks of chicken rather than my fingers down her throat she became very enthusiastic about it - that was once she was over the first anorexia, of course. I put alerts on my laptop to remind me when drugs are due, and having daily pots means I can put them in my pocket if we are going to be out, along with a bit of frozen chicken. It does become much easier once it is routine, but I find prepping tablets once a week instead of several times a day much less hassle, especially as most of them need cutting into halves or thirds.

I would not recommend the sorter I have, though - far too difficult to open, the labels wore off in a week, and the lid never fits back on the stacker box!

Could Merlin's diarrhoea be stress related? When Poppy was so very ill early this year Sophy also started with diarrhoea - I realised she was picking up on my stress and it was having the inevitable result. That was after quite a lot of expensive testing at the vets, of course - like you I was not running any risks!

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Merlin is refusing to take it. I have to find a way to give it to him but the more I stress over it, the more anxious he gets and won’t eat.

I can’t wait until this is over.
He sounds like my guy. He was on meds for a long time due to his ligament issue, and it was sometimes a chore to get him to take the meds. Usually wrapping a pill in a little lunch meat or bread worked. If not, putting a little peanut butter on the pill directly or on the bread worked. I always made it seem like it was a treat. I always gave the smallest amount of bread, peanut butter, or lunch meat possible.

Keeping Beckie and Merlin in my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
When I hit the multiple medicines for different animals point I invested in a pil sorter - one with a separate little box for each day - and a lot of chicken breast, which fortunately all the animals can still eat if it is fat free.
I have a few of those, good idea. This morning I just put everything on two different plates and it worked. Merlin won’t eat the chicken anymore. He’s had enough...

Could Merlin's diarrhoea be stress related? When Poppy was so very ill early this year Sophy also started with diarrhoea - I realised she was picking up on my stress and it was having the inevitable result.
That’s a possibility, but he started vomiting even before I started being really stressed. I didn’t even know anyone was sick at the time. But still possible, because the first few days of vomiting could have been due to eating grass. Merlin is doing very well compared to Beckie. He has soft very stools but besides that he is fine.

Usually wrapping a pill in a little lunch meat or bread worked. If not, putting a little peanut butter on the pill directly or on the bread worked. I always made it seem like it was a treat. I always gave the smallest amount of bread, peanut butter, or lunch meat possible.
Nothing will work, as soon as he smells the meds on something he won’t touch it. So this morning I crushed all his pills, put them in water in a seringe and gave it to him. I wasn’t prepared for the head banging and some spilled everywhere but next time I’ll be ready. :)

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I found a way to make Merlin take his meds. I put the canned food in the microwave for 5 seconds, just to warm it up and it did the trick ! Hopefully no more fighting...

Beckie is stable today so I’ll take that. I don’t feel she is better, but not worse either. She likes the food in the microwave too, so we’ll do that for her too. She is not drinking on her own, or very little, so I give her 10 ml in a seringe a few times a day. With the canned food containing water, I’m hoping it will be enough.

Today we went for a short walk to boost her morale and it worked, she was very happy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I found a way to make Merlin take his meds. I put the canned food in the microwave for 5 seconds, just to warm it up and it did the trick ! Hopefully no more fighting...

Beckie is stable today so I’ll take that. I don’t feel she is better, but not worse either. She likes the food in the microwave too, so we’ll do that for her too. She is not drinking on her own, or very little, so I give her 10 ml in a seringe a few times a day. With the canned food containing water, I’m hoping it will be enough.

Today we went for a short walk to boost her morale and it worked, she was very happy.
I'm so happy to hear this!!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Sounds as if things are taking an upward turn at last. I have been adding a splash of water to Poppy's meals of canned hepatic food and chicken as I reckoned she was slightly dehydrated, especially during the warm weather we had. May be worth a try? Not too much at first, of course, lest the change put them off eating altogether.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Sounds as if things are taking an upward turn at last. I have been adding a splash of water to Poppy's meals of canned hepatic food and chicken as I reckoned she was slightly dehydrated, especially during the warm weather we had. May be worth a try? Not too much at first, of course, lest the change put them off eating altogether.
I’ve tried but she won’t eat it. She isn’t peeing enough so I’ll be giving her more from the seringe.

I’ll give it another try after warming the food. Maybe it will work. But so far she only eats from my hand, after coaxing, even though she takes an appetite stimulant. I’m afraid she is going to need IV if this doesn’t improve.

She also isn’t pooping, or very little. Just one tiny little pea yesterday. And diarrhea thursday. Her rectum is raw and it hurts to have a BM so I’m working on that too.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts