Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beckie has been having liquid yellow diarrhea all day, every 30-60 minutes. Small amounts.

This morning when I got up there was bile, undigested vomited kibbles, poop, liquid diarrhea and urine all over the floors. It took me 45 minutes to clean and disinfect, it was all over the place.

I called the vet and we are going to change her food Monday if it keeps going. She was transitioned on the vet hypoallergenic food about a week ago. I thought it might be the food, but the vet says they generally don’t have diarrhea and vomit and the same time with upset stomachs. The vet tech said it might be from the heat. We’ve been having 34C temperatures for 2-3 days and my air conditioning wasn’t always working. We had a fan going though. So we’ll see.

She had rice water and rice tonight. I‘m hoping I she will be okay during the night. I put her in a confined space with Merlin.

Does anyone have experience with a dog having such a reaction from the heat ?

The only thing I can think of that was different is I let her drink water from the hose (she loves doing that). Also, she has been eating grass and insects in the backyard. The insects are some kind of brown beetle (disgusting). It’s hard to stop her when she does. She also rolls on them...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Beckie isn't feeling well. I'm sorry, I don't have any advice, but I do hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've never heard of something that bad happening from heat. My money would be on the grass. Misha sometimes chows on too much grass and gives himself nasty diarrhea and vomiting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had this issue with my toy. Here’s was the food. I always heard grain free was the way to go but She never did great on anything grain free. ( I don’t know if hypoallergenic food is grain free or not) then I learned the pea protein etc is bad so I quit trying. Sometimes if she had chew treats it happened too.

·
Super Moderator
3,748 Posts
Dechi, this sounds absolutely awful. Poor Beckie. And you!!

Have you or your neighbours done any spraying of weeds, fertilizing, etc.? That could definitely make a small dog very sick.

Otherwise, it very well could be the food. Any dietary changes were hell with Gracie. She'd even have bloody diarrhea. I know those sleepless nights all too well. :(

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Dechi, I would recommend giving her some slippery elm bark powder if you have a chance to get some. Should be at any health store, maybe even general pharmacy areas. It is recommended to help with these symptoms and is supposed to work really well. Here's info on it. Whatever the cause is, slippery elm helps to treat the symptoms of it and might give her some relief.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
push lots of water. If she’s not drinking along with that then I’d get really worried and take her in.
If she doesn’t drink I’ll seringe her. I’m calling the vet on Monday and that’s when we’ll decide what we do with the food. They don’t take anything back because of the pandemic, but they should give me another bag of a different food. I want her to go back on their gastro food. She did well on it when she was younger.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I don't think it's the heat, something she ate is more likely, but the frequency of the diarrhea and the color are concerning. Has she vomited since the morning? How is she acting otherwise?

I hope this slows down and that you're all going to be able to get some rest and that Beckie feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Oh Dechi I am sorry that Beckie isn't feeling well. I also do not think its the heat, maybe the food since it is just a week on it. I'd fast her with nothing, then boiled boneless, skinless chicken (or lean groundbeef or turkey) and rice .

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I hope Beckie feels better very soon.

My Jasper went through something similar last summer, and I remember being up with him 2 nights in a row. I don't know the exact cause, because it was very hot, he was transitioning to a grain inclusive food, and he was on pain meds for an injured ligament at that time. Getting him to eat and drink enough was really hard when he was on meds. That was when I first put him on canned food to increase his water intake.

One thing I did notice after observing him last summer is that he definitely reacts much differently to heat now than he did when he was younger. In fact, when it gets really hot, he refuses to sleep in his bed and instead chooses a corner. He acts very restless. I will put out multiple water dishes for him during these times. My other dog is fine during these periods, and we run the air (never gets above 79). It got very hot a few days ago, and he immediately started acting differently. No vomiting or diarrhea like last year, though.

I hope it all gets figured out for Beckie very quickly.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think it's the heat, something she ate is more likely, but the frequency of the diarrhea and the color are concerning. Has she vomited since the morning? How is she acting otherwise?
She asked to go out all through the night and this morning she was clearly not well. She also had blood dripping from her rectum so I immediately called the ER and said we were coming. I couldn’t go in with her because of safety measures so I waited in my car and they called me on my cell to keep me updated.

The vet said the exam was normal but she was a little dehydrated. She said 50% of dogs with diarrhea end up bleeding so she wasn’t really concerned with the bleeding. The diarrhea has to be stopped though, and she has to eat and drink, because she is little (7 pounds). The vet said it could be a hundred things, even Addison’s, and it’s impossible to test for everything without more clues. She said to put her back on her old food since she was doing fine on it (I changed her food to the hypoallergenic food her vet had wanted me to try for a while because I couldn’t find anyone to deliver her food during the pandemic). And to give her boiled chicken and rice for 2 days (she said beef first but Beckie doesn’t tolerate beef).

So they gave her IV fluids, and gave me antibiotics, meds for nausea and acid burn and probiotics to take home. The vets expects the diarrhea to have improved by tonight. If not, I have to take her to my regular vet tomorrow.

For now she ate her little rice and chicken and had all her meds. I’ve poured cold water on her bum and put ihle’s paste on her rectum (it is all red and inflamed). The poor thing is totally exhausted and sleeping.

(When we came back from the vet, Merlin had had stress diarrhea all over the living room floor. Sigh)

Oh Dechi I am sorry that Beckie isn't feeling well. I also do not think its the heat, maybe the food since it is just a week on it. I'd fast her with nothing, then boiled boneless, skinless chicken (or lean groundbeef or turkey) and rice
Yes, I get the feeling it’s the food too. Even though it’s a very expensive hypoallergenic food from the vet. She was doing very well on Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive stomach and skin. So I went in the store and bought a bag on the way back.

I’m having my groceries delivered and thank god, I bought boneless chicken breast when I ordered (without knowing) that I’m going to boil for her. Yesterday I made some rice.

I hope it all gets figured out for Beckie very quickly.
Thank you. I have a feeling I might never know for sure, but if she gets better and does well again on her old food, I will put this hypoallergenic food in the « no-no » category. I’ll also keep her on Pro Plan and y hesitant to change. I really took my time to transition, close to 2 weeks, but it wasn’t enough it seems.

·
Premium Member
3,977 Posts
So sorry to hear that Beckie has this problem. Asta has had a similar problem.He was eating grass. Changing food also him.
He is now on Science diet Light not the expensive of vet's.
You might want to change to another Science diet formula.
I get Asta's food from Chewy. They have all sizes. You can buy a small bag and if you don't find that it is good for you.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Sorry to hear she wasn't any better thru the night but glad to know you could get her to the ER vet. I sure hope this resolves soon. I know you'll all feel better when it does.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts