Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I keep hearing about this thing called line brushing. So now that I am starting to grow Evie's hair out, I decided that I should probaly learn how to line brush. What exactly is line brushing, and how do you do it? What type of metal comb do you like?

I would love advice, I am completely new at this.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
You part a section of hair and take your Slicker brush and brush it well, down to the skin but don't scratch the skin too hard. Then when you think you've gotten any little tangles out you take your comb and brush that same section, all the way down to the skin making sure all your little starts of knots or Tangles are out. Then you take another little section and part that and you do this very systematically so that you get every square inch of your dog, paying special attention to areas that tend to tangle easily, such as behind ears, under the arms actually, legs. So line brushing is just making parts or lines just like you part anybody's hair and taking a section at a time and doing it very systematically so that you don't miss any areas on your dog. To help ensure that you don't break too much hair you can give a very light misting with an atomizer with some water in it, just a little dampness helps hair not break.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
As you can see, Zoe is in show coat, so line brushing is the way that long coat is maintained. Here is what I do:

With Zoe lying on her side, I part the hair in a line down the middle of the back from the back of her head to the end of the mane. I am not fussy about whether the part is straight - it is usually rather wobbly. Then I flip up a section no more than 1/2 inch wide toward the part and use the pin brush to brush that section out. Once that narrow section is brushed out, I comb it from the skin out to be sure there are no tangles in it. If I find a tangle, I gently pull it apart and brush it. Again, this is done with a pin brush, not a slicker.

I proceed toward her belly, layer by layer, brushing, then combing each layer. As I work, I keep misting conditioner on the area I am currently working on (do not brush without moistening - static electricity will break the hair and make it hard to do a good job).

If a tangle is really difficult to straighten out, I use Cowboy Magic on it.

I don't think it's a good idea to use a slicker on hair that is more than an inch long. Also, I think that any slicker used should have tipped pins so that it's not possible to scratch the skin.

Once one side is done, I have her lie on the other side. For those of you who show in obedience, I use the command "Lie" for lying on her side, not "Down".

Hope this description of line brushing is clear enough.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! So how far apart should the teeth on the metal comb be?
What type of pin brush do you use? How did you teach your dog to lay on her side on the grooming table? I cannot seem to get Evie to do that.

Thank you!
That helped so much.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I also used a pin brush when Molly's coat was really long! I got her to learn love being brushed by waiting until she was pretty tired in the evening and sitting on floor (with her stretched out)...........she got really relaxed and just dozed off. I made it a quiet bonding time for both of us. Do use a brushing spray or even plain water as it makes the hair 'stretch' and prevents breakage. I use a Bass brush #A-8 it has long rounded pins and is not harsh (I've even borrowed it LOL!) It is also a wet/dry brush!

Here's Molly's coat when I lined brushed ......when she was just a pup!:

Reactions: MerrysSarah

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Oh yes, definitely a pin brush if you're showing are you have dog with long hair and you want it to not break. I used to use one when I was showing Matisse and it was the type that does not have the little balls at the end of the bristles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.