Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Ruby" (min poo 11 weeks) will be coming home next week!
I have been reading about the new protocols for administering vaccines and I will be talking to my vet about my concerns. Just trying to do everything to insure the best health fr my new girl!
Anyone here following this limited vaccine protocol?
Was you vet open to following the guidelines?
What puppy shot schedule did you/ are you following with your poo?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm following a fairly limited vaccine protocol with Darcy. He had his first vaccine at 10 weeks (the vet didn't have just the parvo/ distemper shot, so there were 2 other things in there as well) and is having his second this week at 14 weeks. I haven't yet decided whether he will have a 3rd vaccine at 18 weeks - I might just run titers instead to check that he is protected. He will then have his rabies around 6 months or even later.

We are big believers in limited vaccines after having a PWD who had all her vaccines "on schedule" about 15 years ago who then came down with parvo at 8 months (she lived thankfully). Our current PWD Ziggy has been on a very limited vaccine schedule and just gets titers run, and she's 5 and very healthy.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I give my own vaccines because vets in our area only carry 5 way or 7 way vaccines. I like to give Parvo/Distemper only.

I give the 1st vaccine at 8 weeks because I want everyone to have a vaccine before they leave. The next is given at 12 weeks + and I offer to re-vaccinate every buyer's puppy if they bring it back to me. I do not vaccinate my dogs again until after 6 months when I take my dog to the vet for a rabies shot (must be administered by vet). I NEVER NEVER NEVER give a rabies shot in conjunction with any other vaccine. At one year, I give a booster vaccine for Parvo Distemper and I never give it again. Rabies is always kept in compliance with the law of our state. I don't give any other vaccines.

Last fall, my Izze left to live in Georgia with her brother. Her new owner ran a titer test and it showed that Izze was still completely covered by her initial Parvo/Distemper series.

·
Registered
548 Posts
We are using Dr. Jean Dodd's Minimal Vaccination Protocol. Our vet was/is amenable to working with us according to this plan. Before deciding to take this approach, I researched quite a bit and even spoke to Dr. Dodd directly to answer some of my questions. We asked our vet to order the Progard Puppy Vaccine which only has distemper/parvo versus the traditional five way. We are following our state guidelines re: rabies. In Florida, you can get a three-year rabies after the first year booster. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My vet was pretty open to doing whatever I wanted, although I am a little disappointed at his lack of education regarding new thinking with vaccines. He's pretty young, so I thought maybe the schools were getting up to speed on this, but I guess not. He still was curious why I wanted to give rabies separate from the parvo/distemper vaccine, and wanted to know why I wanted to wait until Jager was 6 months to give rabies. Again, he let us do what we wanted, but he would not have initiated these things if it hadn't been at my request.

When I told him I wanted to do titers instead of yearly vaccines, he tried to "counsel" me that it would be more expensive than just giving the vaccines. LOL, no kidding, but that's not what I am worried about. Don't get me wrong, I like my vet a lot and he is progressive in many other ways, but I wish he were more educated about vaccines.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I also want to wait until Nickel is 6 mths old to give the rabies shot but most of the classes require rabies for dogs 5+ mths old, ugh….

·
Registered
478 Posts
I vaccinate kinda like cbrand. After puppy 1 yr. mine don't get anything else. My mini is 11 and is the healthiest dog I have.

I have never discussed it with my vet. They are pretty adverse to change so I just follow my own regimen. If we have to go to the vet they don't ask, I don't tell. They know me well enough now to know I kinda follow my own rules in that respect and with food as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts