Poodle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lily has been having some issues with incontinence (I suspect it is related to her early spay) over the last couple of months. I finally got tired of her tail being full if pee all the time, so I put her in a German cut, but left the ears slightly fluffy (my mom didn't want me to shave them). I still need to work on my scissoring as her coat is still uneven and I can see scissor lines in it, but this is the most scissoring I've ever done. My mom suggested I shave her, but I just couldn't do that to Lily during the winter in Minnesota since she turns into a statue whenever she wears a jacket.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grey Companion dog

·
Administrator
12,823 Posts
Wow! She looks beautiful! And this is so timely, as I’ve been considering a German clip for Peggy’s next grooming appointment at the end of the month. Thanks for the inspo. :)

P.S. Sorry to hear about the incontinence. That’s no fun for any of you. I assume Lily’s had bloodwork since it started?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was so scared leaving fluff in the ears was going to make her look unbalanced, but it turned out better than I had imagined.

@PeggyTheParti My mom doesn't seem too concerned about the incontinence as it only happens when she is sleeping and we haven't noticed any signs of a bigger problem. I did tell my mom that she should take Lily to the vet, but it hasn't happened yet. 🤷‍♀️

·
Administrator
12,823 Posts
I was so scared leaving fluff in the ears was going to make her look unbalanced, but it turned out better than I had imagined.

@PeggyTheParti My mom doesn't seem too concerned about the incontinence as it only happens when she is sleeping and we haven't noticed any signs of a bigger problem. I did tell my mom that she should take Lily to the vet, but it hasn't happened yet. 🤷‍♀️
I won’t clutter up your lovely grooming thread with this topic, but maybe give her another nudge. Sleep and other periods of relaxation are when incontinence commonly occurs. It could be a sign of something completely manageable....but that something could get worse without treatment or lifestyle changes. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
Tyler
90 Posts
Be still my ❤. Lily is stunning! Great job!

p.s. Adding another nudge for a vet visit. Incontinence can be treated.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
679 Posts
Lovely trim.

And another nudge for consulting the vet about the incontinence. There are OTC supplements that can help, as well as Rx medications. Being spayed at any age can cause incontinence. My Lily was spayed at three, and she started leaking within six months.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
She looks absolutely beautiful! Love it!
I hear you about the ears. I love the short ears on Bobby but living in Minnesota I do grow out his ears during the cold months.

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
Wonderful job. She looks great. I’m sorry you are dealing with incontinence. Poor girl.

Technically the length on the ears should match the length on the tail. You could let the tail grow a little longer and shape it like a carrot. But only some one who knows this clip will understand. Everyone else seems an adorable poodle.

Reactions: Minie

·
Registered
142 Posts
As somebody who spent well over an hour, with breaks for both, of course, attempting to clip my freshly-washed boy, I'm impressed. I agree, she looks great. Good for both of you!

Today was a jerky day -- several times, just as I was getting ready to scissor a small area on his topknot, Sage jerked his head. No, I never cut or stabbed him with the sharp scissors, but I was often scared I would. But, then, you're left with a chunk of hair gone that you hadn't planned to remove. It created lots more work for me trying to smooth out the "dents". We finally gave up for the day and played. There's always tomorrow.

Oh, yes, then the wind came up and scattered everywhere the piles of hair, making it impossible to sweep them up. The birds will have a field day. (Southern California, 68 degrees, the grooming table is on the patio. Sorry to rub it in for those of you in frozen places!)

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
300 Posts
I am so impressed! She looks good. I love it when you can see how athletic poodles are.
I second nudging your mum. Lily might be terribly uncomfortable with the leak and hopefully it's a quick fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought I should put an update on the incontinence. Lily went to the vet yesterday. The vet thinks it is a UTI (high Ph and a small amount of blood in her urine), so we got some medication to treat that and we just have to bring a urine sample back in 10 days. It was noted that spay incontinence is a possibility and that if the UTI medication doesn't resolve the incontinence, then we can give her Proin for spay incontinence.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I really like how you did this! Sometimes this cut is a little too stylized for my taste, maybe something about the contrast between high top knot and neck vs naked ears and tail. But this is understated while still reading as a sporty German clip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts