Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting reliable spins and twists out of Lily without always having a cookie in my hand.

Hopefully she will translate this over to trial rings now that she is getting to like doing them under control (she spins like a top to say hello when I come home).

Today (with Javelin barking in the background)

Monday at my club

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's so funny! I have struggled with spin and twist off and on for years. Now she spins as a default. Since I have seen spins and twists on all but one of the rally masters courses we've done I am hoping she will start to score consistently in the 90s. We keep giving up 10 points for IPs every time she doesn't do it.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, the spin is a true game changer for Lily :)

Yes it will be a game changer. Without spins in both directions, trying for the RACh title was totally off the table. This would make it a maybe. Although given the point scale and such it is a harder title to get than an OTCh. A member of my club who is very rules savvy calculated it would cost around $3000 to earn that title assuming you get all Qs with max points. In addition to the RACh you would earn 2 RAE levels along the way.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Yes it will be a game changer. Without spins in both directions, trying for the RACh title was totally off the table. This would make it a maybe. Although given the point scale and such it is a harder title to get than an OTCh. A member of my club who is very rules savvy calculated it would cost around $3000 to earn that title assuming you get all Qs with max points. In addition to the RACh you would earn 2 RAE levels along the way.
That $3,000 is just for entries? Wow, that is a lot, but I think it's worth it! What are the criteria for earning the RACh?

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the criteria for the RACh: a minimum of 300 championship points from the Excellent B and Master classes; and 20 triple qualifying scores obtained from the Advanced B, Excellent B and Master classes. The big problem is the point schedule. You only get 5 points for a 100, 4 for a 99, 3 for a 98, 2 for a 97 and one point for scores between 91 and 96. Triple Qs aren't necessarily the hard part but collecting the points is. I suppose if we got the 20 triple Qs then we could try for the points out of excellent. So that estimate of $3K is just for entries and wouldn't include travel expenses.

In contrast here is how you get an OTCh: Championship Points. Obedience Trial Championship points will be recorded for those dogs that have earned a first, second, third or fourth place ribbon competing in the Open B or Utility B class, according to the schedule of points established by the AKC Board of Directors. When counting the number of eligible dogs in competition, a dog that is disqualified or excused from the ring by the judge will not be included.
Requirements for the Obedience Trial Champion are as follows:
The dog must have won
1. 100 points
2. A first place in Utility B with at least three dogs in competition
3. A first place in Open B with at least six dogs in competition
4. An additional first place under the conditions of 2 or 3 above
5. All three first places under three different judges
Only one of the required first places may have been won at a specialty
Show or a Junior Obedience Showcase.

A first place in an Open B class with 21-25 dogs gets 10 points. A first place in utility B with 11-13 dogs gets ten points. That number of dogs in those classes is not at all uncommon.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy cow. Well it would be an amazing honor to win. They sure don't make it easy!

Nope not easy at all. Almost everyone I know showing at this level in rally thinks it should be 10 points for a 100, 9 for a 99, etc. down to one point for a 91. I suspect my wallet/checkbook would withstand an OTCh on Javelin much more readily than a RACh on Lily. Need some lottery winnings or something.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure how many dogs may have earned this title so far, but I know a couple of people and dogs who are close (have the 20 triple Qs and are just looking for points). A couple of those people are honestly wound a little too tightly about it all though. They have been out on the road at least three weekends every month campaigning.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Triple Q would be hard enough, but adding those points just seems insane. Only five for a 100 score? 10 for 100, 9 for 99 does seem more reasonable. But, then again, I don't think it's supposed to be reasonable.

I love watching your videos, by the way. Twist! Spin! Noelle has spin down but is still confused by twist. We'll get there.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Javelin spins but is clueless on twist too!

I think the points schedule should be reasonable. Hopefully they may make changes, but then the people who are busting a gut for that stingy point schedule probably wouldn't be too happy if they are close to the 200 on the current point scale.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ZM you would like it since largely it is exhibitors sharing as exhibitors in terms of figuring out how to train things that aren't intuitive for some and what some of the perplexingly worded signs mean. I believe Marguerite (mvhplank here at PF) is a member of that group.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts