Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Luce and I were together on Tuesday we were talking about how our dogs get along and one thing I said was that while Lily and Javelin play well together every day they don't love each other enough to want to sleep together and be touching each other. Normally if they are on the bed or recliner with me they both want to touch me but not each other.

Well imagine my surprise yesterday evening when this happened....

L & J a.jpg

L & J b.jpg

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Funny how things happen sometimes isn’t it ? I’m sure if you hadn’t said it, they wouldn’t have done it...

I’m often amazed at how much Beckie and Merlin love each other. They like to be very close and sometimes one is even curled up on top of the other one. They also lick each other on the mouth and paw at each other’s face. It always makes me smile.

I bet seeing your dogs like that made you really happy !

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dechi it is so nice that Beckie is such a great companion to Merlin. He definitely needed a new BFF.

To see Lily and Javelin like that was pretty amazing, especially given that Lily spent most of the first year Javvy was here pretending he didn't exist outside of the time they were playing together. She has never been able to resist him soliciting with a play bow, but otherwise she really worked very hard to keep her distance.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ice Queen melts... Sweet!

She is a softie deep down, but she sure took her time showing some sugar to Javelin.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
The Ice Queen melts... Sweet!
Haha, Javelin is such a gentleman he was bound to woo her into being best buds.

It’s so sweet to see them snuggling.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZM that is absolutely adorable!

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
That is sooooo sweet! Now they will be able to cuddle and stay warm come winter! (Hopefully) LOL!

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
182 Posts
AWWWW, loving it.

I swear dogs are like any brothers or sisters, they may act like they don't like each other but deep down will go to the ends of the earth for each other.

I'm lucky in that Eustace and Roland totally loved each other from the start and I have tons of pics of them together. But my last two, a spoo and a boxer acted like they barely tolerated each other. When I suddenly lost the spoo to bloat I think the boxer mourned just as much if not more than I did. She just sat by the door for weeks waiting for him to come home. And when he didn't, she seemed to age suddenly. She was already old for a boxer, but never showed it until he was gone. She didn't last much longer after him.

People look at me strange when I refer to Eustace as big brother and Roland as little brother when I talk to them, but that's what they are.

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
barbiespoodle, you hit the nail on the head that they are like siblings with a deep love/hate thing going, including often the "mom, (s)he is touching me, make it stop!!!!"

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
592 Posts
I could say similar for my dogs. The way they go at each other sometimes, you'd think they might hate each other. Then one uses the other as a snuggle pillow, and all seems well and calm.

·
Registered
596 Posts
@barbiespoodle That is so true! Even if they act like they barely tolerate each other - may not be what is actually going on. I have told this several times - but when I lost my Dalmatian at 4 1/2 this past March my Pointer at 8 1/2 refused to eat and drink because he was so heartbroken, which spun his kidney problems completely out of control and we lost him two weeks later. He mourned so fiercely I was so surprised because he rarely showed affection to the Dalmatian, who adored him. He sometimes slyly would lick him while wagging a little when the Dal was asleep - so I knew he didn't really "hate" him he was just a tough older sibling. But I had no idea who intensely he loved him until after he was gone.

@Catherine - how sweet and since it's been quite hot here it's not like they were trying to stay warm either ;-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts