Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it was my older birds hatch day on Saturday and I noted it with no pictures, here by Johanna's request are pictures of chickens with the bonus of a poodle (Lily, not Javvy).

Lily with chickens1.jpg

Lily with chickens2.jpg

Lily with chickens3.jpg

Lily with chickens4.jpg

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
They are so cute.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and I just realized those are all youngsters in those pics. I will add more later. The red birds are buff Orpingtons, the white with darker spots is Miriam my remaining blue splash maran and the other bird(s) are lavender Orpingtons.

Reactions: BorderKelpie

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
They are lovely! Do the Orpingtons lay brown eggs? Our Henrietta is still doing well in our friend's flock. We got one of her huge green eggs from our friend on Friday. That bird produces the best tasting, huge eggs.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johanna, yes, Orpingtons of all varieties produce brown eggs although the lavender orp eggs have a pink tone to them and the buffs are more of a regular light brown. I am glad to hear that Henrietta is doing well. do you have any plans for more birds? Do you feel adequately bear proofed?

Here are a few more pictures. I threw some meal worms out on the deck for them so I could do some husbandry work in the coop without them underfoot. Lily kept an eye on them.

chickens and meal worms.jpg

chickens and meal worms2.jpg

Lily and chickens5.jpg

Lily and chickens6.jpg

Everyone is molting so they look a little scruffy, but here is one of the old ladies, Sarah, a blue Ameraucana.

Sarah.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the only concern about fiction with green eggs is after you crack them, not before. ;) Ameraucanas lay bluish to greenish eggs.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Oh, what fat sassy hens! I love that they boldly walk right by Lily. It doesn't take the hens long to figure out which dogs are"safe". Good girl, Lily!

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charmed it was funny actually that those girls who had followed me down to the lower deck didn't want to go back up past Lily. She was just standing there and had not even dipped her head towards them. They were fine when they were all on the same level, but not interested in going up right next to her. Generally she is so excellent with them that I will leave her in the yard with them if they are foraging and it is early enough or sunny enough that there are overhead predators likely. We have lots of red tailed hawks and I don't think they would come in the yard with her outside.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They are beautiful! And they have such cool names...lavender Orpingtons and blue splash Maran! I have a friend here with about 30 hens so I buy some multicoloured eggs from her sometimes.
We had a work meeting at her house in May and I took Sage (she’s a friend and also has a dog) and he followed us into the chicken coop when we went to say hi. As soon as we all exclaimed “Sage!” And the chickens started towards him he ran right back out:) It’s nice that Lily just watches.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It took not too much work to get Lily to be relaxed with the chickens. Peeves took a fair amount of LAT training to get to the point where he was able to be out in the yard with them, but now he is all good with them too, but Javelin is still pretty crazy with them on his own, but I can call him off them. It takes work to make that relationship be safe for everybody especially if the dog(s) have strong prey drives. For Peeves it wasn't prey drive, but herding instincts that got him riled up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I wonder if Lily or Javelin would just carry a chicken around without hurting it? Zoe recently brought me a baby bird - completely unharmed. I put it on a tall planter and it soon flew away.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think Lily would if she could fit one in her mouth, but Javelin I'm not so sure about. He still gets pretty excited by them running so I'm not sure the retriever soft mouth would be there if he caught one. My childhood beagle used to bring us baby birds that had gotten out of the nest too soon and she would sit at the back door next to them until we rescued them.

Speaking of dogs and birds, one of my friends (who breeds goldens, so has 4) had a turkey in her yard this morning! She couldn't let her dogs our for potty since she was pretty sure that the four of them would have tag teamed the thing into bits and pieces.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
When I can make it to the Wednesday farmer's market, my favorite booth is the egg one. Theirs are mixed colors, including green :). My first time to cook green eggs was with theirs!

On the meal worms, something came to me. To my mind, a natural environment for commercial egg hens is out in a yard or field, scratching around and eating whatever delights them, be it bug or plant (like your girls get the worms). Yet, so many of the egg cartons in the store (and eggs here in Cali are all more humane now) yell out vegetarian fed. There is at least one company, Vital Farms, that does not offer that messaging, and it's clear its hens get to eat whatever they want out in the fields. Their eggs are great.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Streetcar there is a huge difference between being fed an "all natural" or organic diet and being able to range free. Chickens are social and need environments that are interesting or they squabble with each other. Although my birds don't free range all the time since there are hawks and cats around I do have toys for them in their run and I do let them out as often as possible for them to get social and mental stimulation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts