Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking for a recommendation for a life vest. Both my spoo's enjoy the water but aren't good swimmers. I'm a fisherman and own a boat and would like to try taking them along with me. I'm looking for a vest that helps keep their head above the water should they struggle. There are so many choices online I was hoping for some experienced advice.
Thanks,
Jcris

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have had a few different ones over the years. My best advice is a bright colored one so you can easily spot them if they go overboard (heaven forbid) and handle to grab them by.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,023 Posts
I like my old Ruffwear, though I think they have some competition these days from Kurgo. I'm generally less happy with Outward Hound products, so I'd probably avoid those unless others chime in with good reviews. Here's a chart I found quickly.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do like the Ruffwear vest. I'm just a bit cheap. lol. Their's is quite expensive. The Kurgo is nice also, hmmm

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,023 Posts
Yes, the Ruffwear is not cheap, especially for larger dogs. Small dogs also have a lot more choices. But I will say I've been very happy with Ruffwear and over the six years that I've had them (and still going strong), they've been well worth it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We got Hugo a life jacket and used it a lot this weekend on our trip!

We got his from Petsmart so maybe check your local one if there is one where you live. It looks almost exactly like the Outward Hound but we only paid $30

https://www.amazon.ca/Outward-Hound...id=1502207544&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+life+jacket

I really like it for the following reasons:
1) It has 2 handles that you can grab and lift the dog by.
2) It has a soft under stomach/ chest fabric that fasten with velcro, and then the side clips to keep everything in place
3) The front has a small piece that keeps the pups head above the water (Which helped Hugo as he likes to gulp the water when fetching something out of the water, causing him to heave and cough)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts