Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello hello!

My husband and I said goodbye to our last Standard in November and the holes in our hearts just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Our next family member will be our 4th poodle. Our first, Trio, was with us from puppyhood, and then we adopted Luna and Albert when they were seniors. We’d like to do something similar this time, though our age range is wider - young adult and up would suit us best. I work from home and my husband is mostly homebound with an aide, so we’re able to give a lot of time and attention to whoever joins us. We’re also committed to taking care of medical needs and giving our next poodle a loving home for as long as they live. A poodle who still loves to walk, hike, and run around (me) as well as hang out and be loved on (both of us) would be our dream, and if he or she likes other dogs all the better. We don’t have any, but many of our friends and neighbors have dogs, including four Standard poodles. We have excellent references.

We’re in Vermont and I’ve been looking in a 2 to 3 hour radius (rescue groups, etc.) and have come to the conclusion that I need to expand it. As far west as Buffalo, as far east as the Maine Coast and as far south as the Philadelphia and Wilimington areas are within a realistic driving distance for me. I’ve looked at options in Canada and have eliminated over-the-border for us.

This might be tmi for an introduction, but I’m happy to post it elsewhere with direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poodle Rescue of Connecticut has some Standards available, they are on Facebook
Thank you, Twyla! I’ve submitted an application and have crossed my fingers and toes :). In the meantime, I’m going to look outside of VT/NH/MA/CT as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Welcome, Ann Marie!

Have you reached out to any breeders? They sometimes need to place retired breeding dogs in homes, or might even have an older adolescent that's been returned due to circumstances beyond their control.

When we were researching our spoo, one breeder asked if we'd be interested in a 1-year-old. He'd been purchased from the breeder as a puppy, but was playing "too rough" with the family's young children. The breeder was trying to assist the family with re-homing him.

That would be a perfect situation for you! Yours sounds like a truly wonderful home for a poodle.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hi!

This is a site I suggest when folks are looking for a wider age range. Not knowing how far it would be for you, I searched by state and found this breeder in Hamburg NY, with 2 black female standard pups still available as of March 6. Their DOB is Oct 1 2019.

It's always worth contacting breeders to make connections, even if you don't get a pup from them.

Here's the link to Poodles Online. The breeders here do genetic health testing on the parents.

and this link to the breeder with the possibly available girls.

Two more in NJ that seem to be within your extended search range

and not on that site but on Long Island that have given some of our members their new family members, Eriand

and one of our members who lives on LI is always happy to recommend one of her pup's breeder, Madela in CT.

She also gives some names to another member in a thread from a few years ago

My apologies if breeders aren't your focus. Rescue is a wonderful option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts