Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winston is now 11 months old... He licks out of control.. He just wants to keep licking your face or your ear or nose... Is there any way to stop this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thats so weird because my puppy is not much of a licker. I guess puppies are different. Maybe having him calm down before you guys pick him up? Sometimes they are too excited! Lol! Good luck!

Abe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It Doesn't matter if he just spent 1 hour at the dog park... if u are in range... he wants to lick

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
This is something that you can stop. I would move him away from my and tell him something like "enough" or "no lick". You have to be consistent with it. He should eventually get it and stop. Once he has stopped, you can invite him up for some loving.

I invite my dogs to put their front legs on my lap for hugs and loving and they can give me a couple of licks. They have to stop after that if they want to keep getting hugged and petted. If they don't, I make them get down while saying "enough" and ignore them. They learned quickly that if they wanted to snuggle, they had to cooperate.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose may lick a leg or an arm after hiking or getting a little sweaty... and he gives kisses if you ask or tell him to.

Once or twice I was resting and Moose came over and started licking my hair. I thought I may have been sweaty but I hadn't done anything and I had showered the night before. I decided to let him lick my hair to see if he liked it or if he was bathing me... he was bathing me. He finished my ENTIRE HEAD then started again, and went to spots he seemed to have missed. Once he was done he laid down and put his head on my shoulder and rested. I've let him do this twice. He normally RARELY licks or kisses me, most of the time it's other people.

Someone told me that's a way they show affection / take care of their "family" anyone know about this?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That's an interesting story, T. I have not heard that but it seems to make sense since this is what they do with each other to show affection/care.

I have seen our poodles lick the cold windows in the car during the winter and we figured out that they were thirsty and looking for water. We always carry it with us and stop to offer them some but sometimes they want earlier and this was the way they let us know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts