Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic from UKC weight pull in Athens, TN.
I think he pulled 17 times his weight. He earned 10 points toward his weight pull CH.

We are new to WP, so he is just starting to really understand the pulls.
The WP folks are always fun and don't mind if a poodle shows up :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Congrats to you and Levi. He is a pretty boy ahhh...... Give him a big kiss from his girl Suri, would ya:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
He's a handsome boy!
How do you train a dog to pull weight?
Does the dog 'win' a weight pull, or do they just earn points towards a title?
I have a sneaky feeling Troy would be a good weight puller!!!:) What made you try it with Levi?
Vivienne

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Levi is Suri's Daddy. his pups have all been so sweet.

Yes, you do need to train for weight pull. we started with just the harness and lots of treats. then hook up a drag chain to the harness..and progress to window weights, etc. He also was pulling a small wagon that I load with weights.

the idea is to teach then to pull on command, and not just pull to get a treat or toy from you.

We've only done 5-6 pulls so far. He earned his United Weight puller title by pulling 8 times his body weight at 3 trials.

the weights are also changed as far as the type of track. on Wheels its 8 times, on rails its 10 times, and with a sled its 3 times. To earn CH points they must pull more percentage.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wow, I am sooo impressed....I have seen pit bulls do this. The folks gathered around that area are some pretty creepy, scary people. Id be soooo afraid to walk in and sign up with my poodle, especially one as gorgeous as yours. I do not mean anything hurtful toward you....I normally go to AKC shows and this was a side of dog showing I never saw before.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL!! the Pitt Folks are usually very nice. And they encourage other breeds to compete. Poodles are not built to pull the huge loads, so we're never in direct competition. Guess we're probably point fodder <VBG>

UKC is probably the least competitive of the weight pull organizations. The Pros take years to condition and train their dogs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wish I had known you were going. Athens is about 35 minutes from my house and I was thinking of going to the show just to see how things are, but it was also on my birthday and other plans won out. Will you be at the fall show, or at the AKC Cluster show this fall?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't plan to be at the Fall show . UPBA is hosting a Rally and Obed trial in Hickory, NC Oct 9-10, then go to UKC Gateway shows in MO the end of Oct when UPBA will have their nationals .

no-one in AKC hair, so won't be going to any AKC stuff for a while

( UPBA is United Poodle Breeds Assoc, UKC Poodle and Standard Poodle club)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts