Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Kara. I'd just written a nice introduction, and, well, it disappeared into the ether.

I'll try to get this to post first, and I'll write a better intro after this one works.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you have a secret handshake?

Okay- introduction.

As noted above, I'd written a longer introduction about my dog Joey, and why I've joined this forum. As seems to happen to me fairly often, my message didn't post, and instead simply disappeared. Now it's four a.m., and I'm pretty tired.

Long story VERY short- Joey was my amazingly awesome dog for over thirteen years, until I lost him to cancer 17 months ago. I loved him more than anything.

I miss having a dog in my life. I have a wonderful fiance now, but he doesn't want to chase wildlife, nor is he really into playing fetch. :)

I've decided that the next dog I'd really love to have share the next 12-16 years with me and my future husband has to be smart, funny, and up for anything. Naturally, I want to get a Standard Poodle.

However, I want to make the best, most informed decision I can. I've researched poodle health problems, poodle color genetics, and poodle breeder web sites. I have found, so far, that the poodle forum is a huge treasure trove of information. Everything I've learned so far has been because of this site, the opinions expressed here, and the links offered through specific breeder web sites.

I'm ready to ask questions now. I'd also like to get to know the poodle breeders here through two-way communication (rather than just me trolling the forums!).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi and welcome. I am fairly new to this forum, and new to Poodles, having acquired a 4 month old Brown (like chocolate) Standard 9 months ago (if I did the math right...). Anyway, I am truly enjoying her. It is too bad I didn't find this forum sooner on as I would have known more a lot sooner! I consider myself a pretty dog savvy person, but there is a whole lot more to know with Poodles :)!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome. I am fairly new to this forum, and new to Poodles, having acquired a 4 month old Brown (like chocolate) Standard 9 months ago (if I did the math right...). Anyway, I am truly enjoying her. It is too bad I didn't find this forum sooner on as I would have known more a lot sooner! I consider myself a pretty dog savvy person, but there is a whole lot more to know with Poodles :)!
I know exactly what you mean!

As I've been reading, this quote by Donald Rumsfeld has been springing to mind:

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Congratulations on your new poodle! I'm jealous. (Hopefully, sometime next year, I'll have my own poodle, and won't have to envy all of the poodle owners here!)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
welcome! newbie too ... i have my first standard (we had a mini growing up).

i love my spoo. i have 4 dogs including her. she's 7 months and there is something about her that is pretty special.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello, Kara :wave: ! Welcome to the forum. We have two spoos, a brown and a red, and love every minute of life with them. I'm excited for you as you search for the perfect pup. It is a unique and important journey. It is wise that you are taking your time and doing your research. Poodles are truly amazing.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum Kara!!! From the one genetics thread, it is obvious you have been doing your research and are likely way ahead of most of the breeders here in knowledge in some areas. I am sure when you decide on a dog, it will have been very well thought out and you will not be diappointed. Enjoy it here. Hope you learn lots and share lots!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, Kara :wave: ! Welcome to the forum. We have two spoos, a brown and a red, and love every minute of life with them. I'm excited for you as you search for the perfect pup. It is a unique and important journey. It is wise that you are taking your time and doing your research. Poodles are truly amazing.
Thanks! I so look forward to all of the fun things I have planned for my future pup!

I love how you named your poodles after Toulouse-Lautrec. I've spent some time daydreaming about what I'd name my dog. I've actually decided on 'London,' but who knows- I may get my puppy, and go, "Oh wow. She/he is definitely NOT a London!"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welcome! newbie too ... i have my first standard (we had a mini growing up).

i love my spoo. i have 4 dogs including her. she's 7 months and there is something about her that is pretty special.
Lucky! Currently, I have two cats, Deano and Fezzik, but no dogs. :( My next-door neighbors, however, have a wonderful german shepherd (Jubel) that I love. So, even though I'll be a one-dog house, my future spoo will have two cats to entertain her/him, and a best friend next door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello and welcome to the forum Kara!!! From the one genetics thread, it is obvious you have been doing your research and are likely way ahead of most of the breeders here in knowledge in some areas. I am sure when you decide on a dog, it will have been very well thought out and you will not be diappointed. Enjoy it here. Hope you learn lots and share lots!!!
Thanks! I really am learning lots, thanks to the great people on this forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts