Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a long-needed bath and groom day for Betty. I just did a light clipper on her body, and mainly focused on shaving face, feet, tail.

I am also constantly experimenting on scissoring her head, which always looks a bit crazy but I have fun (and she doesn't seem to mind!}

I would love to see your "B & As" too!

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
Betty's pretty! I look forward to giving a long top knot and long ears another attempt like that for a HCC trim (historically correct continental)

We'll share our grooming adventure. When I need to unplug, I groom Basil, so its normally a little bit everyday. It's theraputic.

Jan 6th -

January 15 th-
I was very determined to try and set the pattern for rosettes, but they ended up looking like hash browns so I buzzed them off. Part of the problem is her jacket is too far forward, but we'll give it another shot next year. Now, Basil has a bare butt.

(Tail, needs a touch up, looks like an evergreen tree)

January 16 th / 17th-
-took 2 inches off the tail all around, looks like a cheeto now.
-tried to make the rear hock/pom angulation more aggressive, it's hardly noticable.
-took 1/2 inch off her top knot

(Oooh, so fierce lol. If anyone's interested in a neck like this, search "Blake Hernandez top knot" on youtube.)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! I love your descriptions - hashbrown rosettes and cheeto tail- hee hee! Basil is such a pretty color and has such a sweet face. What blade do you use for her 'nekkid' parts? 30?

Last year, I had Betty in leg poms, with a shorter topknot. I really like the look of the poms on her legs but I got a bit tired of brushing out the grass and other junk that collects in them. They are like little brooms, sweeping up all the gunk that they contact :).

I think you did a great job of starting the angulation on Basil's back leg poms. I can see it!

So fun to trim our poodles!

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
LOL! I love your descriptions - hashbrown rosettes and cheeto tail- hee hee! Basil is such a pretty color and has such a sweet face. What blade do you use for her 'nekkid' parts? 30?

Last year, I had Betty in leg poms, with a shorter topknot. I really like the look of the poms on her legs but I got a bit tired of brushing out the grass and other junk that collects in them. They are like little brooms, sweeping up all the gunk that they contact :).

I think you did a great job of starting the angulation on Basil's back leg poms. I can see it!

So fun to trim our poodles!
Thank you!! It is very fun indeed.

I have a 5-in-1 blade and free handed Basil's pubes on the #15 equivalent. She has a little bush around her vagina and a little peach fuzz around her butthole. I don't exactly know what my end goal is there nor do I have the ambition to take it further, so "good enough and clean enough" is the standard.

Is it okay to share pro groomer pics? Because my favourite before & after is Peggy at 7 months:

View attachment 472979

View attachment 472980
Ohh of course, very pretty!!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basil-T-S - Your photo made me laugh! I guess I was really asking about just in general for Basil's overall butt and leg shaving what blade length you use. But I enjoyed your reply and the photo :) And thinking about it, I haven't ever attempted to shave that closely in that area, so I can imagine it's a bit nerve-wracking. Sounds like you may have a Wahl 5 in 1. That's what I use for Betty's face, feet etc. And yesterday I used it with a comb to do her body. Normally in the summer I use an Andis clipper and 3 3/4 blade to do her body.

PeggyTP - Isnt it wonderful to pick them up from the groomer with a fresh, silky soft, perfect groom? Peggy looks great-what a transformation!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Betty's pretty! I look forward to giving a long top knot and long ears another attempt like that for a HCC trim (historically correct continental)

We'll share our grooming adventure. When I need to unplug, I groom Basil, so its normally a little bit everyday. It's theraputic.

Jan 6th -

View attachment 472960

January 15 th-
I was very determined to try and set the pattern for rosettes, but they ended up looking like hash browns so I buzzed them off. Part of the problem is her jacket is too far forward, but we'll give it another shot next year. Now, Basil has a bare butt.

View attachment 472961

(Tail, needs a touch up, looks like an evergreen tree)
View attachment 472962

January 16 th / 17th-
-took 2 inches off the tail all around, looks like a cheeto now.
-tried to make the rear hock/pom angulation more aggressive, it's hardly noticable.
-took 1/2 inch off her top knot
View attachment 472963 View attachment 472965
View attachment 472964
(Oooh, so fierce lol. If anyone's interested in a neck like this, search "Blake Hernandez top knot" on youtube.)
Great job on Basil's face and blending her ears in to the top knot. Aren't you concerned about the cold with the butt shave? I let Happy grow out a little bit to deal with the colder temps. With the extra fluff, she seems impervious to the cold on our longer walks/hikes.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Great job on Basil's face and blending her ears in to the top knot. Aren't you concerned about the cold with the butt shave? I let Happy grow out a little bit to deal with the colder temps. With the extra fluff, she seems impervious to the cold on our longer walks/hikes.
I was a little worried, but in Seattle we've lucked out on really cold temperatures like what the mid west and NE are experiencing. It dipped to 30 F one day so far. We've been hovering from 39-45 degrees F. I'm going to let it grow out now.

I'll make a smarter decision next winter, for sure.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I absolutely love Winnie's transformation! What a fun contrast!

Oonapup, nice job on Oona's face! I prefer having my poodle faces shaved clean, and after a couple weeks growth, I cant stand it anymore and need to do a quick trim up. Even when I used to take my poodles to a groomer, I would regularly shave faces, feet and tail in between their groomer appointments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts