Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It鈥檚 all really about practicality and comfort. Bobby gets so hot in the summer and I鈥檓 spending a lot of time keeping up with both poodle boys during Joey鈥檚 coat change. I do love the new short groom but I do think his legs look awfully skinny.馃槈 I knew they would but I also know how fast the hair grows back.

Registered
Bobby's summer groom is really nice. I think this short clip looks great on him.

I keep Kukla in a short clip year round because it's so much easier for me to maintain. He's looking a bit shaggy now, but he'll see his groomer on Thursday.

Registered
I took a 7f blade to everywhere on Annie - tail, topknot, and ears included! Except for FFT which I did with a 15 and 30. And random swipes on the legs because she was being wiggly and the 15 and 30 are easier.

She looks odd but it's been so hot already this spring and I've not been well enough to keep up with grooming her topknot and tail. Comfort over beauty every time!

I was feeling guilty for neglecting her and stripped her down without a bath since trying to bath and dry her then groom within 2-3 days was more than I could handle. So it's a super rough cut. I bathed her a few days later and she dried almost instantly in the summer sun, no drying required! I really could stand to go back over her with the 7f again and get rid of the rough patches and random long hair on the back of one ear. .. and the hair between her toes that I missed....

Not today.

Dog Vertebrate Comfort Dog breed Carnivore

I haven't taken any pictures of her standing yet.

Registered
All of the puppies look great! Gosh the black looks sooooo soft....
I am not a home groomer but would like Daisy to be cut to 1/2" all over. What blade size is that? You home groomers speak a different language!!!!!
Poodle penalty tax:
View attachment 492453
She is very velvety! 1/2 inch is still pretty long. I don't know what blade I would suggest (I only have the adjustable 5-in 1 Bravura) but I once clipped Oona to 1/2 inch all over using the 1/2 inch comb over the blade on the middle setting.

Registered
I am not a home groomer but would like Daisy to be cut to 1/2" all over. What blade size is that? You home groomers speak a different language!!!!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one flabbergasted by all the technical grooming talk. 馃槄 Even though I'm grooming our new pup Nellie myself, I'm still struggling to understand the jargon. I just groomed Nellie last weekend FFT I think a #10 blade length-ish? Then I put a 1/2" guard on her and did the rest of her body. I'm keeping her a little longer for now, because she's still skinny / puppy gangly. Once she's filled out, I'll definitely be cutting her shorter like these summer clips. Great thread to see the different clips and cute pups! :love:

EDIT: Pics before / after. And, here is a link to a chart that explains the different Oster blade lengths, how long they are and what they are typically used for. It's been helpful to me! Oster Blade Length Chart --So, I think if you want 1/2" long hair, you'd use a basic blade like #10 with an attachable guard comb that keeps it 1/2" from their body. That's at least what I did this weekend with Nellie! Hard to tell but her hair was over an inch long. *There's my unprofessional 2 cents.
Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Carnivore

Premium Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one flabbergasted by all the technical grooming talk. 馃槄 Even though I'm grooming our new pup Nellie myself, I'm still struggling to understand the jargon. I just groomed Nellie last weekend FFT I think a #10 blade length-ish? Then I put a 1/2" guard on her and did the rest of her body. I'll post a pic! I'm keeping her a little longer for now, because she's still skinny / puppy gangly. Once she's filled out, I'll definitely be cutting her shorter like these summer clips. Great thread to see the different clips and cute pups! :love: I'll edit and post a before / after pic. (y) I need to get a full body side shot.
View attachment 492455 View attachment 492454
Cutie pie!

Registered
Water Dog Blue Carnivore Water dog

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

I don鈥檛 have great pics but Phoebe is in a pony poodle cut with a bottle brush tail. I shaved her with a 5 last week.

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
Simon is back in a variation of a Summer Miami/Bikini that I call the Scruff Puppy for the summer. His body was done with a 10, and FFT with a 30. I don't scissor his ears or topknot at all, just try to keep it banded and out of his eyes. I did scissor the foot floofs, though, taking about half off.

Dog Water dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed

Registered
Simon is back in a variation of a Summer Miami/Bikini that I call the Scruff Puppy for the summer. His body was done with a 10, and FFT with a 30. I don't scissor his ears or topknot at all, just try to keep it banded and out of his eyes. I did scissor the foot floofs, though, taking about half off.

View attachment 492460
Not so scruffy or puppy any more! He looks great.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts