Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
This is the cat that a little over a year ago was so freaked by being near a dog that he disappeared entirely for over two weeks when I first brought him home. I seriously thought he was dead for a couple of days. Today they are great friends.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nova’s on the table after drying

Right after banding to get it out of the way to start planning on her trim. I haven’t brushed her legs or ears. I was working up the nerve to start cutting. I have a show in 2weeks and I am so nervous that I will mess it up.

I am in the middle of trimming off a lot of hair. Not a glamor shot🤪.

Nova is like what did you did you do! Half her topknot has been cut and a ear.

Here is where are at today during a grooming break. Legs are not done and her right ear isn’t finished. I am going to redo bath tomorrow so I can blow dry nice and straighten again and do legs then go back and shape everthing. I haven’t done much to the tail yet either but I like it so far! I was so nervous to chop the topknot (22 months of hair growth ) . She has a single band now .

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts

Coincidentally, I decided to take some grooming pics this last groom which is something I don’t usually do because I’m covered in hair etc. This is my sweet Bettie in a clip that I can’t remember the name of and may not be doing correctly. Her coloring makes it difficult to see in pictures, but she has a very short “jacket and pants” on. Body is a #10 and the jacket and pants are a 3/8” comb attachment. Topknot is a double band if that makes sense. It holds the hair better I find.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts

This one is from the groomer that put in his pattern. Im a former groomer but poodle show patterns stress me out, I much rather shell out the money to a master groomer and sleep well at night knowing the pattern is correct loool

·
Registered
758 Posts
We did butt and face today... I forgot to take before pictures.

Middle setting on the 5-in-1

Tail:
Going for a spade shape. Her tail line starts just below the base of her rectum. I brushed the hair down three times and scissored in a bevel.
(After)

Then, I trimmed the hedge from her rectum to her vagina with a 3mm clipper guard.

(After)

Then her face.

I cleared a patch of hair to show the difference in length on her cheek.

(After, right side)

(After, left side)

(Fin)

Her body is somewhere between 6mm and 9mm. I'm too exhausted to do the conversions. Nap time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thx. This was great. Ok from the outer eye I shave straight back to the ear. You do a slant. Is there a correct way or just left to your own interpretation?
I have been hesitant to shave her crown off, but it looks nice on your girl.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thx. This was great. Ok from the outer eye I shave straight back to the ear. You do a slant. Is there a correct way or just left to your own interpretation?
I have been hesitant to shave her crown off, but it looks nice on your girl.
Good question. Right, so a straight line is the way to go. I could go back in for another round of detailing, but "good enough" is my standard lol. If we were meeting a new playdate or taking family pictures, then I would put in more effort just like master groomers on youtube.

Her ears naturally flop over and hide the corner of the shave. So, I don't worry about it being perfect. No one but me, my folks, and you all will see that. The important part is to shave around her mouth where it carries more stench. Perfect aesthetics is less important. Too much time and effort for now. I'll settle for a B+.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gotcha. No, I wasn't grading you. She looks marvelous. I am such a newbie and grooming book in one hand and shears in the other while I work. Just kidding, but it seems like.
I would like to enter Belle in a UKC conformation show in June when she is only six months. I am terrified. So I kinda want an 'A' grade for that. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Poor Nova 🤪. Due to Birthdays and running around I haven’t gotten to finish her one ear is trimmed but not finished and the other is still long. . So today I redid her bath and will be working on her a little more.

Of course it rains 😔. It’s pouring. So plan is to do what I can tonight and lightly wet her down tomorrow and get her coat straight again so I can work on it some more. Then she will get another bath sometime Tuesday to get ready for our trip.

Drying again . Do you think she’s glaring at me?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nothing like thinking your finally done and then you take the picture 🤪. Yeah not sure what’s going on with the chest or poms that keep dropping. I think I’m just going to try to fix it a tiny bit and just leave it before I end up with a bald dog. She’s also slightly leaning towards me so it could be that . The tail doesn’t look that bad in person .. it’s just the way I brushed it before snapping the photo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts