Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aka "Poodlington"

I'm getting him ready for a competition in the fall. Boy do I have my work cut out for me lol. This will be my first time competing and his hair is crappy (on his sides and legs). I used a 7F blade around the neck and shoulders and scissored everything else. The 7 was actually too short for his hair texture but since it was matting there heavily I'd rather take it shorter and let it grow in. His hair shows every little chop mark. The sides look blotchy and dimpled when not fluffed up. He just doesn't have much spring on his sides or legs. I still have a lot of tweaking to do but here is his progress so far. His head looks funny cause half his face is missing. Can't wait till that grows in!

The funny thing is, my husband doesn't like it when I shave Leroy's ears (when I did the German look), but he likes his ears tasseled! I've been shaving his ears with a 10 and 7, and now that I shave it with a 40 in reverse with a little tassel my husband likes it lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
He looks cute if a little uncertain which breed he wants to be, LOL. This is really interesting, I hope you keep posting progress reports. I've always been impressed with the work of groomers in competitions but I had no idea that so much prep time had to be put in although it's clear you can't just take a grown out poodle coat into a competition and groom it into the great finished products I see in the photos.

Now you are in some what the same place as confirmation show poodles, worrying about keeping his coat in condition. How long do they give you in the ring at a grooming competition from start to finish to do your dog? Does the time include bathing and brush out, or is that done before the timer starts?

Well as nice as you have him looking already, I'm sure by this fall he will be perfect and you will do really well in your competition.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been growing him out since Nov/Dec of last year. Couldn't decide on a clip, it was between German or Bedlington. Chose the latter cause it's less hair for me. I will have to keep tweaking him and keep him trimmed up cause his hair is still going through a change and mats in the blink of an eye. It's nice to compete with your own dog cause you have the luxury to tweak and grow hair. There are many competitors who borrow dogs and they get the dogs on the day of the competition, so sometimes you never know what you can get.

The grooming time for your dog depends on the size. I think it also depends on the show. Standards get 2 hours and 30 minutes, while smaller dogs get 2 hours. Some get 1 hour and 15 minutes (terriers, more time allotted for handstrip). The dog is bathed and brushed before the competition. You want to make sure the dog is brushed out REALLY well, cause they will not place you if you have one tiny mat. The competition requires at least 6 weeks of growth, so I'll be tweaking till I get it just right and let it grow out.

I've never done a Bedlington trim so I was concentrating setting the pattern. My husband popped his head in and said "Don't you only get 2 hours for this?" and then I snipped a large hole into the coat. Thank goodness I have time to make mistakes lol!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
What competition in september are you aiming for? Is it Hershey in Pa? This weekend is Colorado Groomfest. I think that would be closer to Texas but I guess where in Texas one lives.

How is the clip coming along. Can't wait to see updated photos.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm aiming for Pet Pro Classic in Dallas in November. That is the closet competition to me.

I did have updated pics long ago but did not post them. I trimmed the pattern TOO short the second time. All i wanted to do was tweak it... I was so embarrassed by it! I don't know what I was thinking. So just trying to grow that out. I used snap-on-combs and went clipper happy and shaved off too much up on his sides to where he looks like he has a Mohawk down his back. I also clippered too much on the sides of his neck so he looks like he has a mullet. I thought the snap-on-combs would be easier but they weren't. I got the lengths on my combs mixed up (they were in the wrong placeholders) and I used a shorter blade when I thought I was using a longer one.

His hair looked awful but taking too much hair off in certain spots helped me to learn why certain places need the hair. Competing is new to me so this is a learning process!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on the hair

I'm aiming for the Bedlington head now. Before (first pic), Leroy had a lightbulb fro topknot going on.

You can see in the body pics how I shaved off TOO much hair. I'm waiting for all that to grow in. It looks crappy in pictures, but doesn't look too bad in person. On the bright side, having less hair saves me the pain of brushing it. I am crazy for growing hair during COAT CHANGE!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I can see where you took too much off, but it's not really too bad. Leroy looks so handsome in his poodlington trim! He's slender enough that he really pulls it off well. :)

Reactions: tokipoke

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I dont know.. I think Leroy looks so cute in Tokipoke's sig pic. I would leave him with that "half Poodlington" look. :smile:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yup that is Amy scissoring the "Poodlington" & she is awesome and a good expert on the "Poodlington".

If you need help go look up Amy & ask questions she is really cool.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another groom

I groomed Leroy today. Here's the Before and After.

I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like how the After photo looks. Maybe his neck is too thick? I accidentally took too much hair off on the tuck-up, so that looks pinched. I will need to blend the bottom of the sides more. He has the strangest hair there. It's so straight and wispy. He looks like he has furnishings like a schnauzer haha.

I thought I got 2.5 hours for the groom.... but I only get 2 hours!! Need to work on my time better.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Dude the tassles on his ears and that rat tail are so perfect and adorable. The thing that kept grabbing my eye was the spot above his withers, I almost feel like there should be more of a swoop there? It seems more like a valley?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude the tassles on his ears and that rat tail are so perfect and adorable. The thing that kept grabbing my eye was the spot above his withers, I almost feel like there should be more of a swoop there? It seems more like a valley?
His roach is off. And the spot above his withers. Yeah I need to take off more hair (blend) above the shoulders and place the highest point of the roach right above his tuck-up. I believe I need to trim about 0.5-1 inches around the roach. I don't know why I'm so scared to cut off the hair!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
He looks really good!! Yeah your roach is a tad off, I think it needs to come forward. I'm no expert on this trim though. ;) his coat is coming in nicely for it though! I mean lengthwise, I know it's being a pain right now.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts