Poodle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I heard that some breeders won't sell a puppy to someone who will vaccinate the puppy for Leptospirosis. I have always vaccinated our dogs for Lepto due to living in a semi rural with a high traffic of raccoons, skunks and wood rats. What are the dangers that I am not aware of?

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,490 Posts
Leptospirosis vaccine can cause severe reactions in some dogs especially smaller dogs, Reactions to the leptospirosis vaccine usually take the form of lethargy for a few days and possibly loss of appetite. In some dogs an anaphylactic shock-like reaction may occur shortly after vaccination.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Anything from lethargy to vomiting to death. I don't give the Lepto vaccine even though Lepto is present here. I'd rather take my dog in immediately if he or she gets sick from Lepto. My vet respects my opinion. Plus, there are many strains of Lepto, so the vaccine does not even cover them all (like influenza or Covid).

·
Super Moderator
5,070 Posts
You might find this article helpful. It is properly peer reviewed and includes some discussion on the separate risks to small breeds. Recent advances in canine leptospirosis: focus on vaccine development

Dr Jean Dodds, who has long been one of the proponents of reducing but not eliminating vaccines, has also written on the topic of lepto and lepto vaccines.

More general information on lepto and lepto vaccines Leptospirosis in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospital and

A general list of core and non-core vaccines. https://www.aaha.org/globalassets/0...recommendation_for_general_practice_table.pdf

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is very interesting as I have been puzzled by the varying opinions on this vaccination as well. I can’t remember being concerned with the lepto vaccine with my previous poodles over the years—and I don’t recall getting the vaccine for them. Anyhow—when I got Toffee in 2017–the vet told me about the vaccine. He said it was optional-but recommended if I planned on hiking or letting my dog drink out of streams . Then, a few years later, Toula’s paperwork from the breeder said that her line of mini poodles had horrific reactions to the lepto vaccine—especially when given in combo with the other shots. I didn’t want to chance it—so I have always opted out of that one. Fast forward to this year’s vet visits—I was scolded for not giving my dogs the vaccine. Every time my dogs get their normal vaccines—they are sick with gastro issues a few days later—so I really am confused. I’m kind of wondering if they have a bunch of vaccines that are about to expire or something—because they were really pushing them this year. Will read through the research —thanks!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Years ago, the breeder if a previous dog warned us against the lepto vaccine. No details given. Doesn't seem to be a big problem in our area of the Northeast, and we've never given it to any of our dogs. I've heard that it's prevalent in New York City, particularly now with the pandemic which has caused an increase in the rat population. We have an apartment there but don't take our dogs. We have a granddog in the city so we'll try to remember to check if she got the vaccine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This says that there was an older version of the vaccine that was more prone to causing issues. And for dogs less than 22lbs, they still recommend separating it from other vaccines.
My cockapoo that I got in 2010 wasn't vaccinated when he was a puppy. It wasn't a routine vaccine back then. The number of cases has increased especially in the warm areas like where I live. It can also jump to humans.
This has some of this history of the vaccine.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
It is not just small dogs that have had bad reactions to that vaccine. Some lines of Rottweilers are notorious for doing poorly with it. We have always opted to skip that vaccine except when the dogs are at high risk. So, when the Airedale lived in Tennessee, out in the country, she was vaccinated.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,915 Posts
Elroy got the Lepto vaccine. I had no knowledge of a (higher likelihood) possible reaction. I wonder if I can now assume he won't react to it in the future? He is due again in a week or so. He does drink from water sources when we're out in the woods. If it's not flowing, I tell him to leave it. If it's flowing readily, I let him drink. I would like to continue with this vaccination. My vet recommended it as well.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
If it's not flowing, I tell him to leave it. If it's flowing readily, I let him drink.
The article I'm copying from is about humans, but it is appropriate for dogs. Leptospirosis is found in flowing water

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4241785/ said:
Outbreaks of leptospirosis have been associated with common water events such as rural and urban flooding, swimming, and other water sports as well as occupational exposure involved predominantly with farming and drinking contaminated water.5,1012 Both pathogenic and saprophytic strains of leptospirosis have been isolated from water sources including rivers and lakes as they are able to survive in moist soil and fresh water for long periods of time. Leptospires require fresh water to remain viable in the environment9 and can survive for several months in running water but only several weeks in stagnant water, while some halophilic strains may be recovered from brackish and salt water.5,1315 Recently, two strains of Leptospira kmetyi (MS432 and MS422) were shown to survive for 3 days in artificial seawater and natural seawater. When the seawater was mixed with soil the strains were able to survive for four days

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,915 Posts
The article I'm copying from is about humans, but it is appropriate for dogs. Leptospirosis is found in flowing water

Of course it's in flowing water too. It doesn't have the opportunity to multiply (higher bacteria load, like it would in stagnant water). All the animals in the world, except humans, drink from natural sources, flowing or not. I personally feel that the risk from swift flowing streams is minimal. "Minimal" is why I want to get him vaccinated. I can't always stop him even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
984 Posts
Simon hadn't had a lepto vaccine when I got him, but my vet recommended it, since it's common in this area. He didn't have any noticeable reaction to it.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom
1 - 13 of 13 Posts