Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to the vet Leonard and I for his annual check up, consensus is Leonard is a lovely,well built, healthy addition to my crew with not a thing to worry about.
Refreshing

phew

20190211_213258 (1962x2000).jpg

11" tall and a smidgen over 6 pounds

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
twyla I am so happy to see this update. You deserve at least one easy keeper as far as the vet visits.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
A big sigh of relief for you! Leonard is everything a well bred poodle should be and I hope he stays as healthy for many years to come!!!

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Glad to read that Mr Pink had a good checkup and is happy and healthy with you and your gang.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We went to the vet Leonard and I for his annual check up, consensus is Leonard is a lovely,well built, healthy addition to my crew with not a thing to worry about.
Refreshing

phew

View attachment 446429

11" tall and a smidgen over 6 pounds
No Surprise. Gilligan went for his checkup and rabies vaccine on Wednesday and got the exact same comments. He's in perfect health and his weight is also perfect for his frame. He's now 7lbs at 16 months. Still giving me some fits about eating, but he's much better about it now.

The only issue is we discovered he has a very sensitive stomach, but that's no real big deal - we make sure we give him single ingredient treats.

I think Rod does a good job with his puppies.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Happy to hear Twyla! He’s a beautie.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
That is great news for the little prince. I know you had misgivings about getting a male, so I am extra pleased that he has turned out to be so healthy and to have such a lovely temperament. I like the shaved ear look; gives him an air of distinction.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No Surprise. Gilligan went for his checkup and rabies vaccine on Wednesday and got the exact same comments. He's in perfect health and his weight is also perfect for his frame. He's now 7lbs at 16 months. Still giving me some fits about eating, but he's much better about it now.

The only issue is we discovered he has a very sensitive stomach, but that's no real big deal - we make sure we give him single ingredient treats.

I think Rod does a good job with his puppies.
Nice to hear Gilligan is a hardy soul as well. I would love to see more pictures of him he is so handsome.

As for diet and eating I already have a poodle with a sensitive stomach my Pia, so Leonard eats what she eats and everyone has the same treats and chews basically fish and other novel proteins.

I agree Rod does a wonderful job with his pups, other than being a sassy teenage boy Leonard is perfect, just needs to leave the cat alone.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did the term 'healthy as an ox' come from? Why an ox?
How did the phrase 'as healthy as an ox' originate?
The phrase "as healthy as an ox" has apparently originated in Russia. Oxen are strong, clever animals and so it befits this phrase.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
How did the phrase 'as healthy as an ox' originate?
The phrase "as healthy as an ox" has apparently originated in Russia. Oxen are strong, clever animals and so it befits this phrase.
I think it's a mix of the idioms "strong as an ox" and "healthy as a horse."

Regardless, I'm glad Leonard is a healthy boy :D

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I’m so glad you got Mr Pink. He is a wonderful addition to your family and thank goodness a healthy one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice to hear Gilligan is a hardy soul as well. I would love to see more pictures of him he is so handsome.

As for diet and eating I already have a poodle with a sensitive stomach my Pia, so Leonard eats what she eats and everyone has the same treats and chews basically fish and other novel proteins.

I agree Rod does a wonderful job with his pups, other than being a sassy teenage boy Leonard is perfect, just needs to leave the cat alone.
Sensitive stomach is an understatement. I now only give single ingredient treats, liver, sweet potato, and apples. He loves his apples :)

Uh, sassy? Gilligan is as stubborn as a mule. He's smart - very smart. He knows his commands but chooses when to listen to them. Not even a high value treat will change his mind. It amazes me how quickly he learns.

I think I uploaded a couple of recent pictures :) A friend made him an outfit for St. Paddy's day. He was groomed on Friday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG Gilligan is such a beautiful boy.

I totally understand the mulish poodle, I learned early on that my Beatrice had to be trained a certain way. Treats were out because she is too food crazy, so I had to slowly train her with praise only and repetition. Took way longer but she is a good dog.

My Pia has food intolerances to chicken, beef and lamb, which result in belching, upset belly, vomiting and diarrhea. Lamb is the worst with projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea.

That all aside, I think that Gilligan looks wonderful, your friend has real skill with the needle too that is one cute outfit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thank you!! We find training with praise and toys works the best. He's really not food motivated, but if I give him those dehydrated apples, he goes nuts and will not respond properly. All he wants is apple :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts