Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black (haha) Asta has recently broke out in white hairs. Although they are not immediately seen, unless you look closely at him. Asta's dam was a black & white parti and sire, a black. So I think these white hairs are parti Mom's legacy. Guess he is now what is called a "Bad Black" tho I do not like the term. Love my sweet boy and would not trade him for anything, even with his sporadic white hairs.

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
I had a tough time adjusting to Bella's transition to a salt & pepper coat; even dyed her black again twice. Finally I accepted that a lot of American poodles prematurely gray (supposidley UK poodles don't since they tend to breed blacks only to blacks). But hey! We match - I have lots of gray hair too. I let her go natural the past few months but may dye her again with all this extra free time.

With a good groom, she's styling. Btw, the dog groomers in my area (DC-MD-VA) are shut down. Anyone else miss their dog groomer?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Lol Vita about matching your own hair. But I probably need a Silver poodle to match what is truly under my every five week dye job!

When I brought Gracie (who has a white blaze) for a groom by a local poodle breeder who is very involved in the show circuit, she remarked on what a nice poodle she was. I said I wasn’t interested in conformation so the mismark didn’t bother me. Her reply was “We can make that go away”.

That remark made me wonder how many show poodles have had the white covered up for the show ring, and that the tendency to have a “mismark” may be prevalent in a lot of lines.
Here’s Miss Gracie with her glorious blaze for those of you who don’t know her, and because I Like to post pics of her 😀

Attachments

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Asta may just be going grey prematurely, that’s a possibility. I love Vita’s response of matching her greying hair with Bella. :)

Carolinek, I love Gracie’s blaze of white too.

Groomers got shut down here a few weeks ago and I’m so thankful that I have the skills and professional tools to groom at home myself. I ordered some new blades just in case this goes on for longer than I expect so I won’t be short.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I do 80% of my own grooming, so we’re ok too. Now it will be 100%.

Reactions: Asta's Mom
1 - 11 of 11 Posts