Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a standard poodle soon & I was wondering if I could pick your brains if that’s ok? I stay home with my daughter during the days but M-F I must pick up my other children and it takes about an hour. Should I leave puppy alone (10 weeks old) in his crate or possibly find a petsitter to help for that hour, especially since he will be potty training?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes! I’m retired and so at first I was with my puppy 24x7. I knew that I had to start leaving the house or later we we’re going to have a problem when I couldn’t take her with me. She had to learn to trust that I would come back.
Same thing with her staying in the car while I ran in for quick shopping.
The first time I left her in her ex-pen and went out the door I could hear her crying... for about 30 seconds, after which I came home an hour later and she was fine. The only separation anxiety was my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
You will be doing your puppy a favor to teach him how to be on his own in his crate. Leave her home and go pick up your kids, no worries! Don't make a big deal out of saying goodbye, just put hos in the crate and leave. Baby do will do just fine.

I also agree that leaving for longer than that is important too. Old neighbors of mine had a Maltese that they took everywhere with them for the first year of the dog's life. He was terribly spoiled, but I think also not a great house guest so eventually I think their friends and family started asking them to leave him at home. We lived in a townhouse building and my apartment and theirs shared the wall from our front doors and up the stairs. When that poor little dog all of a sudden found himself on his own he would bark for hours (seriously really hours). One of my cats would sometimes walk to that wall and stand there and look in the direction of the noise as if to say "WTF are you doing over there?"

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
YES! Like everyone says, it's good for them and will help you to avoid your pup getting separation anxiety which is very very bad! When my girl was a pup and she started showing signs of getting this, (I'm retired and home 24/7) I started to leave her 'alone' several times a day, I went outside, I went to my mailbox, I took a walk around the block, just to show her she would be ok and I'll always come back....... It worked and now she is fine to be left for several hours with no problem and I don't even need to crate her! One hour is just fine LOL!

·
Registered
331 Posts
As long as my pup can still see me she is a complete drama queen, but as soon as I’m out of sight she settles down to continue whatever she was doing before I left. Funny how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Yes, leave him alone often so you don’t end up with a howler or barker when left alone.

Vary the time period, length of absence and so forth. Eventually leave him for half a day, then even a whole day once in a while (6-7 hours).

This is very important for any puppy.

Not only that, but the hardest part about having a puppy is restraining from fussing over him all day. He needs to learn to be in the same room as you without always interacting. Playing by himself, resting in his crate in the same room, those are all important lessons for a puppy to grow up well balanced and not overly needy.

They’re so cute that we want to squish them all day, but it’s better if we don’t.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I’m definitely getting the idea about starting a good healthy pattern of leaving him alone. But even right off the bat when he comes home with us the first few weeks? I’m assuming the answer is yes lol.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Ok, I’m definitely getting the idea about starting a good healthy pattern of leaving him alone. But even right off the bat when he comes home with us the first few weeks? I’m assuming the answer is yes lol.

Yuppers, from the get go.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
absolutely fine. In fact putting the puppy in his crate even while you are home is a good thing. He will learn to separate from you and he will learn to be quite in his crate until you let him out. My dog goes readily into his crate and remain quiet in the morning until I get to him. I have other dogs/cats that can't wait as long, plus he is safe so he is last and he was last to come in the house. Puppies need lots of sleep and just like puppies you will notice when they get to rambunctious and biting etc, take them out to potty give it a few minutes and into crate for a nap. My puppies usually slept a good 2 hours before needing to go out, once they were potted out. lOL

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Teach your puppy to love being in the crate before locking him in:) If they think it is a wonderful place to be it is no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts