Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble training Vaus my spoo to walk on a lead. I try to encourage him with bits of cheese which he loves, but all he does is just stand steadfast and won't move an inch!!:banghead: I am really getting frustrated:banghead:!!
He is in obedience classes and he does the same there too. He will walk on a retractable leash, somewhat, but he really doesn't want to, his head stays down and he walks really slow, like he doesn't want to get left behind to much. He doesn't like any pressure on his neck when it comes to a leash. Please anyone here has any suggestions it would be very helpful

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here is what I do:

Stand in front of him, facing him, holding the leash. Back up and call his name really excited and fun. When he follows praise him like crazy and very animated (you are having fun!) Good boy, good boy, come Vaus, come! If you clicker train, click as he comes. Make it fun! He will be walking on a leash in no time.

·
Registered
912 Posts
What sort of collar are you training him on?

I agree with maddik, you can also put a flat collar on and attach the leash and leave it on, under supervision at all times of course. Do this inside the house and also outside in the backyard and have some fun, play a game and lots of treats picking up the lead every now and then and gettin ghim to come to you or walking a few steps and then dropping it again. Often the additional weight of a collar and then the lead can be off putting to them and he needs to see this is a fun thing and something to look forward too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
how old is he?? Dutch is 12 weeks old and he did this at first too, but I NEVER pulled him or made him walk on it. I just kept putting the leash on him a lot and held it very loose until he got used to it and did what the other PP said too. Lots of praise and good times! Good luck, he will come around

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Is there another dog close that you can walk with the two of you? I think that gives motivation for a dog to want to go.
haha, funny this post came up. Tonight I took Sting to what was supposed to be his first conformation/handling class. Well, guess class was canceled with no warning. lol So I decided to take a pit stop on the way home to petco. OMG was Sting a baby. He wouldn't walk at all! I was able to motivate him to move a little with a treat but other then that, he wasn't having it.

I even did the high pitch happy talk that works at home but no success with this Poodle. I believe we will need to begin leash training with big bro Eli. I agree that another dog can be great motivation until they build up more confidence.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I forgot we did do that with T. We got one of those joint leads but initially there was too much size difference and T just got dragged along so we only did it the once. I did put them back on it together the other day and it worked a treat, not that T doesn't walk OK by himself but it is quite good fun to walk them together on the one lead :smile:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how old is he?? Dutch is 12 weeks old and he did this at first too, but I NEVER pulled him or made him walk on it. I just kept putting the leash on him a lot and held it very loose until he got used to it and did what the other PP said too. Lots of praise and good times! Good luck, he will come around
Vaus is 11 weeks old and I have a leather rolled collar on him so it won't harm is coat while he wears it. I never pull him, and neither does the trainer, and there are lots of other puppies in the class close to his age, about 6 of them. I guess its going to take some time. That would really be funny, a show dog that refuses to walk and run on the lead.... just imagine what the judges would say!!:wacko:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Vaus is 11 weeks old and I have a leather rolled collar on him so it won't harm is coat while he wears it. I never pull him, and neither does the trainer, and there are lots of other puppies in the class close to his age, about 6 of them. I guess its going to take some time. That would really be funny, a show dog that refuses to walk and run on the lead.... just imagine what the judges would say!!:wacko:
haha....lol. Ya he will walk on a lead and move around that ring. I most certainly will not have beautiful dog that cannot be shown because he can't move around the ring. OMG I would kill him if he did that.

Im not worried because he's still young but he's most certainly the most challenging puppy I've ever owned. He fits his name well.

The judges would excuse us from the ring. Well AKC would.....UKC will let it go on and on and on. Its bad some time's in UKC. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts