Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
My answer to all obedience questions these days - liver treats :rofl:

No seriously get a treat your pup can't resist and hold it on your left hand just above nose height and walk, you'll find you have the most obedient, heeling puppy around cause if he's anything like T he won't move his nose from just under your hand so he is always in the correct heeling position :smile: and you can reward him for doing the right thing.

I used a check chain on the GSD and just kept correcting, but I am finding with T that using the treat is getting us a faster result and with less angst on my part. I do use a snake chain martingale collar on him so we do have some control.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yep just hold the treat in your hand so he can smell it, hold it just in front of where you want his nose to be, so you are effectively positioning him in the right spot and walk. If he's like T he will follow obediently, looking up at you every now and then to see when you are going to relent and give him the treat.

Like ToddW said change your direction often, do about turns eg. turn 180degrees and go back where you came from, 90degree turns both into and away from the dog, find some poles a little way apart and do figure of eights around them, all those sorts of things will keep his focus on you and your body position.

I can't let T see the treat otherwise he gets too excited and does the "vertical poodle" and won't heel but ends up jumping in the one spot :rofl: but if your guy needs some extra enthusiasm show him the treat. If he isn't food motivated a squeaky toy works just as well.

Edit to add - you don't have to have the treat in your hand forever, just till he gets the hang of it, then put the treat away and keep your hand in the same spot, then after a while remove your hand and put it how ever is most comfortable for you. Still treat often in the early stages, just hold the treats in your bum bag instead of your hand :smile:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just my opinion but I am not a big fan of gentle leaders, halti's etc... I bought one to try on the GSD cause everyone was raving about them, he heals very well so thought it would be easy and safe to try on him and I didn't like it at all.

You can do a lot of damage to necks with those collars, not that I'm saying those of you who use them are, but it is very easy to have the dog take off from a loose lead at the sight of something and get to the end of the lead only to be jerked back again via thier head, wrenching the neck muscles all without any intention to do this by the walker.

Why not just teach your dog to heal at your side without pulling? Eventually I want T to heal without a lead like the GSD does, and you should certainly be able to walk your dog with a flat collar on at least. When we go to the beach both the boys have their flat waterproof collars on and can be walked to the beach on these, I couldn't be bothered walking them down on a check chain cause they need it to heal properly and then having to swap for the waterproof ones.

As I said JMO, each to their own and lots of people swear by the gentle leaders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.