Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I LOVE the gentle leader. Even when Sam behaves on the leash, with a regular collar, if he gets the slightest pull he gags. With the gentle leader we can even be in crowded places and we don't have to keep our attention focused on him to be sure he is behaving, especially festivals and fairs where there is tons of food on the ground. I took Jenny on her first walk with her regular collar and she drove me nuts, weaving back and forth and stopping in front of my legs. We hadn't started any leash training yet and she was a mess. We went around the block like this once then I stopped back at the house and got a chain training collar. It was like night and day, she stayed right by my side and never pulled. I think every dog is different and you just have to find what works best for you and your dog. I can't use treats to train Sam very often, his brain turns off and all he can think about is "treat, treat, treat, treat!" LOL!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why not just teach your dog to heal at your side without pulling?
For me? Laziness and impatience LOL!! The gentle leader works immediately with no work on my part. Sam will heel but I have never been very good at leash training and without a constant reminder his brain will wonder off, especially at places with lots of distractions. I also don't think a gentle leader should be used with a leash any longer than about 4' at the most. I've never had Sam even try to pull with it on, but with a short leash (his is only about 2foot) he could never get up enough umph to hurt himself if he did try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.