Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an issue I have had since the start of my learning experiance. I have trusted the wrong people and ended up getting well, my fault but dogs that have had problems that were not always straight forward in the beginning. Now, I am taking a step back and learning more about breeders and learning to trust the right people in the future. So, where do I begin to learn who to trust and not to trust?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If you're looking for solid color poodles, I would start with the Poodle Club of America. Dog shows are also a good place to meet breeders. These are just starting points though.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I am greatful for the advise. I will make sure to look on the PCA site for a breeder, I am not sure if I am going to start trying to show UKC, since I have talked with breeders in AKC "rings" and they have all said a professional handler would almost always be required to purchase a show puppy. I want to show in the ring myself and have taken breed handling classes to ensure that I know what I am doing. UKC does not allow pro handlers, I think it would be wonderful experiance for me and more fun for my dogs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
IMHO - If you plan on showing AKC I would definitely take a handler with me to pick out the puppy. You can still show UKC but you also have the added comfort of knowing your baby will be accepted by a handler.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is IMHO? just wondering, my netiquete is not up to par lol. Will handlers go with you to pick out a pup? I did not know that....something to think about! Thank you. I do want to show AKC as well, but have been told the practice in the UKC ring would be benificial to a new handler.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've always wanted my own kennel, so after I said goodby to Lance I picked the handler that I wanted to show my new daughter (Guenna). Once picked I knew he wouldn't show anything he didn't like or think he could finish. I found a few puppies and asked my new handler for help. This may seem backwards, handler then dog, but when you are after your foundation I think this is the better & safer way to go. The handler knows that this is your foundation & looking to the future business relationship with you will help you get what you need. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see the strategy there and it makes a good plan. I have worked with a handler this person came recommended by the breeder "mentor" I had, she is the one who gained a point on Zoey, she is GOOD! There is a LONG story behind that one, and I would trust them again with my dogs, but they like I were trusting that the pup had already had the dam and sire tested for problems, so they were not caught until she was already being show, because she was not exhibiting signs of LCP while with the handler. I would like to make sure this person ended up with my next dog if needed. They did tell me and show me a bit about what to look for in a show pup and so taking their advise I feel more confident in myself to pick one, but a handler helping would be even better!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes KamelotMom is right start at PCA , then work from there. Breeders that have lots of experience can help you pick the right puppy also. Some breeders are just out there to win and some really care about the breed and love helping new people. I am lucky to have found 4 breeders that have been helping me and my sister learn about dog showing.

we will being showing UKC and AKC ourselves I know that people stress must get a handling. But if you want to learn how to do it your self and become good at it you will need to be in the ring with your dog. They also have handling classes that teach you how to handle.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
When we started looking for our new baby, Taffy, we called a very reputable breeder and told them we were looking for a show quality puppy. When we arrived at their home, the wife was sitting in the kitchen chair holding our puppy. We did ask to see the other prospects and she said this is the puppy you want but still showed us the others. She was right. She was the best show quality prospect. They asked us to keep in touch with them and I know they will mentor us.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, and I agree, there are people out there that only care about a dog finishing and others that care about the dogs. I have taken breed handling classes, lucky me there is a VERY nice training center near me and they are wonderful to work with. I have a friend who is a groomer and has taught me how to care for a coat as well as the internet providing me with vast information on nutrition. I had to start on this venture with this forum as a complainer, and know that it can sometimes leave a bad impression in ones mouth, but knowing that there are people out there that do care and are willing to provide GOOD information is comforting. The "mentor" I found was not only unethical in her breeding practices, but she was also quit ill. She has late stage lymes disease and has a VERY difficult time remembering things and being able to maintain a conversation with someone on one topic for more then a couple min. before getting side tracked with something totally unrelated.

At first I thought nothing of it, but the more we talked and spent time together I came to realize (to late) that she was not really working with a full deck....and it was not really her fault. She was just horrible as a mentor and as a breeder. I got 2 pups from her on the same day one for showing a breeding purposes and one for breeding purposes. She told me all genetic testing had been done on the sire and dam, being so nieve myself and not asking for documentation, I found out to late that the only testing that had been done on them was optigen testing for PRA, that is good but not by itself. SHe did not OFA at all nor did she test for thyroid,patella luxation, or any other problems that are such a problem in toys. She mislead me by telling me she was breeding for 25+ years but failed to tell me until months after I purchased pups that she had only just begun breeding toy poodles, before she was breeding a totally diff. breed. I have learned to be leery as well as becoming more knowledgable before making any future purchases.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were very lucky! When I got my toys, the purchase price for the "show pup" was $1800 and the pet was $1000, well the "show pup" was passed on by one of the best handlers in my area and the pet pup was taken.....my mentor could not even tell that the "show pup" had less desirable traits such as tail set and angulatio. I had to trust her in the choice because I did not know enough to choose a good pup for myself. I am hoping someday to luck out like that! So how is yours doing in the ring?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
You were very lucky! When I got my toys, the purchase price for the "show pup" was $1800 and the pet was $1000, well the "show pup" was passed on by one of the best handlers in my area and the pet pup was taken.....my mentor could not even tell that the "show pup" had less desirable traits such as tail set and angulatio. I had to trust her in the choice because I did not know enough to choose a good pup for myself. I am hoping someday to luck out like that! So how is yours doing in the ring?
Enzo is just a puppy will be & months old in a few days. We tried showing him at a AKC show but it was a disaster ( you can search for that thread and read it) his next show is UKC May 9 so hopefully he does good

Here is a picture of him if you haven't seen him yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts