Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the coat change just suddenly hit us like a ton of bricks! Brushing and combing suddenly became an extremely long, extra tangly process that left my wrist in pain. Her legs and shoulder blade area of the back were I N S A N E. So, shorter legs were very necessary with this groom. I debated leaving the topknot alone, but ended up trimming it.

Before pics are after bath and blow dry. Topknot is still damp and not combed.
This time I did the bath the first day and then the groom the second day. I will probably end up trimming more of her face in the near future.

On to what I did—

10 blade no guard: sanitary, stomach, base of tail, feet and (barely able to get) the top lip for hair that goes into mouth. I need to invest in a small trimmer for her face/lips/ears

1/4” guard with the grain: top of body, withers, chest and under chin.

1/4” guard with and against the grain: legs and underside of body.

1/8” guard: front of neck, under ear area of neck/side of head, and underside of ear leathers.

Scissors to shorten as much as possible: armpit/legpits, top lip hair and hair growing out of ear canal.

Curved scissors to shape: topknot, back of neck, tail, cheeks, chin, around the eyes, and slightly shorten length of ears at the bottom only.

Again, little miss was prancing around after we were done.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I think you did a good job! I wanted to do Renn yesterday, day after bath but maybe I can still do it today. Yesterday we worked on our tortoise enclosure. His walking area was full of weeds with burs that he doesn't like, so I pulled them all out, raked it well, added topsoil and put down a few pieces of new sod. He has a better yard than me!. Today I will add more soil and more sod then I have to fix the walls to make them sturdier or he will push them over. Just a pain going to Home Depot at the moment to get what I need.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice, and he has such a cute tail! Raffi's is wiry and bushy with scraggly ends- but I am too nervous to trim it so far lol. You are way more brave with the scissors than I am!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the nice compliments. It makes me so happy to get some feedback.

Great job, she looks great! I love how lean they look after a short haircut.
It’s fun how poodles’ looks are ever changing, and it definitely looks like they went on a crash diet after the haircut! I miss the long leg hair though!

Nice, and he has such a cute tail! Raffi's is wiry and bushy with scraggly ends- but I am too nervous to trim it so far lol. You are way more brave with the scissors than I am!
I definitely have the philiopshy of “just get in there and do it” when it comes to clipping and scissoring. I have low expectations, haha! I really wasn’t sure how the tail was going to turn out, but it ended up being my favorite part. ❤
I always appreciate your grooming posts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts