Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For this big overall groom I remembered to take before and after pics and remembered what lengths I cut where. In the before pics she’d had a bath and blow dry as well as her sanitary areas clipped. I can’t get her to stand naturally on the table for pics, she’s weary of getting to close to the edges so she kind of scrunches herself up if I’m not right there at the edge of the table as her safety net.
Please ignore my boyfriend’s laundry pile in the background. His laundry lives in the basement :)

Soooo...
I brushed and combed Lacey yesterday, but not prior to the bath today. This was the first time I didn’t immediately brush and comb before a bath and it was fine. I bathed her with nature’s specialties berry gentle shampoo diluted 16:1. Skipped the conditioner. Sprayed her down with Tropiclean tangle remover after towel drying and cleaned her ears with tropiclean ear cleaner.
then used the go pet club 3.2 HP dryer at half speed for as much as she could tolerate.

Ran a pin brush through her hair to ensure no major tangles before clipping. I use the Andis ACG 2 super 2 speed (22360) on the lower setting (3400 spm) and wahl stainless steel guard combs.

I did the clip using the following:

10 blade, no guard- anus, vaginal area and belly, base of tail, feet/between pads, underside of ear leathers.

For all guards used I cut with the grain of the hair growth.

1/4” guard- start at withers, back, and down buttocks. Chest. Down sides of body, skimming off of forearms and thighs.

1/8” guard- underside of chest, upper belly area, armpits/legpits, front of neck, beneath each ear area.

1/2” guard- legs.

Did a very quick tidying up of the legs with curved scissors. Blended the back of the neck into the topknot with curved scissors. I eventually will need to look into buying nicer, sharper ones. The ones I currently have are the Petco brand, well and good. I also need to get a 30 blade for trimming between her toe pads.

Trimmed hair coming from ear canals with short straight scissors. I think next time I’ll try using some narrow eyebrow scissors, they’re much less bulky than what I’ve been using. I wonder if anyone else here uses those?

I did not touch the topknot, ears, or tail for this groom. I just trimmed her face about 6 days ago so I didn’t touch that either.

Overall I’m satisfied with her look. It’s very novice looking and kind of awkward shaped but I think she looks cute.
The front and profile chest view is pretty bad. I could clean it up a bit but I really don’t feel like it. I did the clip pretty quickly and am not looking for anything near perfection today.
This is my second go at a shorter style foot— not great.
I always clear too large an area around the anus, thinking more is better than less and it grows back so quickly.
I still feel proud of myself after undertaking her big grooms.

I really enjoy working on my dog grooming skills. As well as having my dog learn to tolerate and hopefully enjoy the grooming process. As long as my body is able, I will continue to do her grooming myself.

I like to share all this information and pictures because I hope it will be helpful to other at home groomers or those nervous but looking to try. Or just for people who want to look at dog pictures! You guys will be able to see my skills improve (hopefully!) over time as I post in the future.

p.s. despite the look on her face in the last pic, she actually was happy with her new ‘do.

Edit: this is my 100th post! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Nice job, I have groomed my poodles for years neat, clean and tidy is what I strive for. Most important thing is that it is a good experience for you both, which I can see it was for you both.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job, I have groomed my poodles for years neat, clean and tidy is what I strive for. Most important thing is that it is a good experience for you both, which I can see it was for you both.
You have the skill and experience but grooming more than one dog would be hard work! I think I remember reading that you break it up over a couple of days, is that right? They always look so nice.

I’ve been working on grooming training with plenty of treats since I brought her home. she does fairly well, except for the dryer. She always prances around after the process is over, wanting to show off her new look.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
kudos on a job well done.

Reactions: Porkchop
1 - 8 of 8 Posts