Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing some basic grooming at home since we brought Merry into our home. Today was my first official full body groom attempt and I think it came out ok! I looked at it when I was half don't and started picturing how she'd look nekked since that was the only way I could see her looking decent again Luckily I kept going and she looks half way decent! Excuse the hair on the floor, I hadn't swept since my second round with the clippers

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Looks good! She certainly looks pleased too!

Reactions: MerrysSarah

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Good job! It takes me forever to groom Asta, but I am glad to be a nervous newbie at grooming. Asta is now 4 and still a struggle to get him to submit to grooming. Wonderful advice here on the forum - MysticRealm has been a great help to me on this topic.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Great job

Reactions: MerrysSarah

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've tried some small grooming tasks( face, feet and bum) with great success, I've attempted full body a couple of times that didn't turn out so well, it seems like my combs on my shears just float over the hair and dont comb through it, then all of a sudden it will go into the hair and shave a chunk out. I have a metal comb that I try and brush them with but it's very difficult to go through and get it to stand up, any hints?

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
I've tried some small grooming tasks( face, feet and bum) with great success, I've attempted full body a couple of times that didn't turn out so well, it seems like my combs on my shears just float over the hair and dont comb through it, then all of a sudden it will go into the hair and shave a chunk out. I have a metal comb that I try and brush them with but it's very difficult to go through and get it to stand up, any hints?
Are you using plastic combs on your clipper? The steel ones are much better. They only work if hair is really well brushed out though - I brush Poppy thoroughly and comb right down to the skin the day before I plan on clipping her. Next day I bath her, and brush and comb the hair straight while drying her - I use a human hair dryer as she is tiny, but for a bigger dog you will need something much more powerful. I start with a longish comb on the clipper all over, then go over again with a slightly shorter comb - it seems to give a smoother finish, and there is less chance of taking off too much.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Wow you did a wonderful job. I think I may just try some myself after our next groom. At least with summer coming if I mess up I can just shave him down. LOL Your did really really well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use a slicker brush in the opposite direction of hair growth right before I start to get the fluff to stand up better. I wish I had better advice, I'm just kind of fumbling my way through myself. I watched lots and lots of YouTube videos about poodle grooming before I tried anything, and some really helpful advice on here as well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have the same problem - just can't master the clippers on the body. For years I've been scissoring both of them. Wish there was someone to teach me hands on. The videos make it look easy but I can't get an even cut.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm by no means an expert but I have learned that prep is a lot more important and time consuming. The key for me was using a steel comb to check that the coat was brushed out thoroughly. All mats and tangles must be removed and the hair blown completely dry and straightened. That only took about 4 years to learn, haha. I also used to groom only 2 or 3 times a year which is just making the job so much more demanding.
Best of luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts