Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I just took a shower and as I was washing my hair I started to panic, thinking "what have I committed to?!" But I will do it for you guys and for myself. I love challenges and looking forward to new hair cuts, it's just that... it's SO much easier to shave the hair off for new do's (hello Continental Clip?) then growing the hair for a certain look. I'm curious when the Japanese Teddy is done on a spoo, if people will think he's a doodle or a different breed? The Japanese Teddy bear head is so different from the heads on doodles IMO, it's got so much flair, especially with the bell bottom legs. I'm more excited about the legs then anything! Leroy would look like a giant plush bear and kids would die when they see him. Ooh! I could also color his hair to make him look more like a bear. Let the journey ensue! My husband will be happy to hear that Leroy will be going back to the Teddy look.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm wondering if you'd have to do a spoo in a longer length, maybe a 1 or 0 comb instead of a 4f, since larger dogs always look so much shorter than smaller dogs.

I've never seen a Doodle with half as cute a face as a Japanese face. even the nicely-coated ones tend to have stringy-straight beards!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well you can have the body longer but if you're going to do the bell bottom legs and to get that bell bottom effect the hair towards the feet will have to be left out even longer. I've clipped Sasha's body with a 5FC against the hair grain before too for the same look. The 4 or 5F was clipped all the way to the elbow then scissored from there downwards to make the bell bottom legs. The shorter the body is clipped the greater the effect of the legs can be seen.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yes I was thnking that the hair around the muzzle and the legs will have to be pretty long, so probably more than 6 months of growth. Hopefully when his hair grows back it will be a better texture than before I shaved it off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You're probably going to need more than six months growth for a standard. Maybe even pushed to a year. Before I did Albi's Teddybear, I did the full blown Bichon Frise look, which took six months growth, and her face was still not as full as it should have been to really get the perfect Bichon head. I could have let it grow another three months, but I was TIRED of maintaining so much ridiculous coat and so was she!

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Tokipoke, (now I want to call you Tokipoki - I like that! : P ), you can totally do it! Look how close this standard got:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/25/article-1208913-062CBBE0000005DC-853_964x670.jpg

If you just tightened up the bottom of his face and bottom jaw, and let the hair on his cheeks and top of the muzzle fill in, you're there! And remember, you'll just have to maintain a ton of coat on his legs (really mostly just the bottom halves of them) and his head. You can even give him a cute little German tail! Even if you decide you'd like his body at an inch or two, you can still keep it short until you get close to your goal on his head and legs. : ) I want to see this!!

Back on topic! Minister Man, Lavillerose said it. Don't worry about the names of the clips or what it should or shouldn't look like. Do what works for you and call it "The Sophie"! Almost every clip I do on my clients' dogs are listed as "modified" something - teddy, lamb, Schnauzer, etc. Lumi's in a "modified" Scandi! Use the pictures you find online as guidelines and leave or take off more hair were/however you'd prefer. : ) You may even start a trend! And yes, you can get by with just clippers for the absolute easiest groom as Lavillerose suggested. It will look very messy around her mouth, ear leather, toes, etc., if you don't scissor at all, but who cares? If you don't mind, neither will Sophie! : )

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have not seen Spoo's in a Teddy really without looking like a Doodle type dog. The "asian" poodles are usually Toys or Mini based on space & so there are lots of poodles in this really cute style. I tried to do the same for a grooming competition but "americanized" the legs since the judges here don't like the bell bottom look. I have a couple of clients that love the "asian" Bear Bear clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
All of these pictures are wonderful! The toys and minis pull off the cute asian trims so well. I was thinking the hair growth would be more like a year too, because of the length it needs to be on a standard to make everything look proportional. We'll see how it goes! Good thing on this type of clip is that I can keep the body pretty short, and loving the idea of the carrot tail. I don't think anyone really understands what a challenge it will be for me to grow the face and feet again. I REALLY love the shaved muzzle (after trying the fluffy look before). My favorite part of grooming a poodle is shaving an overgrown face (wow, you can see the dog's eyes!) and trimming the sides of the head and near the ear flap when shaping the topknot.

But yeah - back to the original topic of teddy bear clips - there's no right or wrong way. Especially for pet clips, as long as you and your dog are happy. The part where I can see where scissors will be handy is to cut the straggly hairs that pop up around the eyes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
thanks For all the help. I got my grooming book for Christmas Called "Poodle Clipping and Grooming The international reference" By Shirlee Kalstone. Anyone have that book? I cant trust it to be acutrate Right?

They suggest either the oster A5 or andis AG, or wahl km2 clippers. Anyone had any problems with any of those?

I am leaning towards the "wahl km2" Any place I see them, they are listed as coming with a # 10 blade. I was going to order a set of snap on clipper guides, the wahl ones are all stainless steel. Will the other brands Fit? Do I need the whole set or do I just need to buy one or two of them? I so far have found the blade and guide chart a little confusing in the book since I don't know what I want. I found the wahl clippers for 119 free shipping if I order before Saturday. Do you think that a person with one dog would be happy with them?? I have decided that I am going to go with a clip that just keeps an inch or so of fur over the whole dog.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have the SK book. It is the best so far for reference on different styles. My favorite are not really covered well but under the international chapters are my favorites. I hope for an updated book just on styles seen outside the US.

I use Andis, can't stand Oster,Wahl is coming along & have heard good things about the Switchblade. I am sure the KM2 would be just fine for what you are doing since it is just your own pet. The metal Snap on Combs can be use with any FULL sized clipper. Almost all of them come with a #10 or #15 blade. One can often find clippers that you can buy with the SOC for free. Yes, you can get away with just 1 or 2. Depends on the length you want to achive. Maybe go with a #1 SOC & maybe an "A" for longer lengths. Anything longer you can just scissor instead of clipping down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the help again, when I get a chance later this evening I will look for the Andis ones again. Because I live in Canada, the Pet places in the US charge international shipping. The place I found in canada, I will have to see if they have Andis. I was thinking the wahl ones because my mother in law uses those on her terripoo. But I would rather take the advice of you professional groomers,since I don't want to end up buying more than one set!:angel:

I am going to try to order today, mostly so I can stop thinking about it.

The Book has a lot of detail about bathing and combing, and all of those things I would not have thought of, but what is the secret of turning a squirming little puppy into a dog that loves to be groomed?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I like the kalstone book too. It was my first poodle book and very informative! I Use the Andis Ag 2 speed, its quieter than the osters and easier maintenance. I have not used the wahl clippers(except the peanut) but the cordless(bravura, etc) runs way quiet and not hot which are good points to consider. I want to get a pair for home use myself.

I would rec the Laube comb set so all you have to worry about is one blade length. Goes up to 2" in length... I only have the big combs 1" to 2".. anything shorter I have blades for.:
Amazon.com: Laube Dog Grooming Big K 6 Pc Clip Comb Set: Pet Supplies

If I were doing a panda trim I would go shorter on the back and body(neck too), longer legs and head. It will look more balanced instead of a wooly bear IMO.

there is no secret getting a puppy to behave, just have to have the right equipment .. table, arm, and restraining device at minimum a groomer's loop and at best a groomer's helper. Pkus some good old training.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the advice and thank-you so much for the link to the site with the training information. That is amazing ( not that I have read it all, but it is only 4 in the morning, the day is young yet:act-up:)

I have ordered my clippers. One person on here, said that they used the Andis Plus clippers and that is what I ordered:

Items :
1 Andis Plus+ AG 2-Speed Clipper AD22215 / -- $119.99
1 Millers Forge Original Snap-On Comb Set DD101 / -- $14.19
1 Millers Forge Pet Nail Clipper MF743 / -- $4.69

Because I ordered from the USA, they are going to let me know shipping costs before I actually confirm the order, but if they are good, and the duty isn't too much, then I have myself started with equipment. The comb and sliker, I can pick up at the pet store ( no shipping) and I am going to look into them getting me a "pole" thing for a table and will build something for a table with a no slip mat, while on vaction this week.

family outing day today, and My wife said I had to order this stuff before I went so that I would bring my mind out with her and the kids and stop thinking about it..........Now I am so excited, I can't wait 'till they get here:angel: I may have only had a poodle a few weeks, and I am up right now because she needed out.............. But I sure do like me Poodle I should have gotten one years ago.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just returned an Andis AGC Super 2-speed for a Wahl Arco (Moser) SE (in pink). I found the Andis to be heavy, hot and loud. Maybe I had a bad set but I love my new Arco! Wahl makes a great set of metal combs as well. Being new to poodle grooming is difficult, but fun. The gals down at my local Petsmart have been very kind and helpful to me (I take my mpoo in for face/feet clean-ups since she rarely holds still for me when I do it!).

21 - 40 of 40 Posts