Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I posted this in Performance, also, but wanted tips for Conformation showing as well.)

I'm off again tomorrow to a dog show. I'd love to use my time spent there learning things that will help me compete in Conformation in the future. Anyone have any tips on what to concentrate on while I'm observing the classes? Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I watched the professional handlers. Watch how they stack their dogs. I have changed many times by watching the different ways the dogs are presented. When I got better at it, I changed a few things. Like, now instead of holding the side of my dog's face, I hold her head up with the lead, and I pinch a small part of her tail and push it forward so that her body looks shorter. When in the line up, I stack my dog the same way except at a slight angle forward, so as to show the judge her face while he or she is walking down the line comparing all the dogs. This will also make your dog appear to have a shorter back. These are just some of the things I have observed. It also helps to look at show pictures that are in the free catalogs at some of the shows. They are usually at the entrance to the show ring. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I like to watch movement and try and pick the winner I am ususally right :) STand at the corner and watch the down and back . There is a difference in the way that you hold the lead and how the dog moves..Stay for the groups these are ususally the best of the best that are there that day.. Take a chair !!!!! And most important money for the vendors HA HA ....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts