Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a standard poodle puppy that will be five months in a week. She’s a little over 30 pounds and about 20 inches to her shoulder. Over the last few weeks she started leaping off the porch, over chairs, over bushes. I don’t mean a small leap, it could be like ten+ feet long. She’s also jumping high over things. We have never encouraged or attempted to teach her to do any sort of jumping. I’ve read that this can be very dangerous at her age because she is still growing. I have not kept her from doing it but am wondering if I should?? I have no idea how to even stop her. Or should I encourage it???
thank you

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Isn't it magnificent??? I described that as the "OHMIGOSH I'M A POODLE!!!!!" stage. It's like they suddenly discover what they can do.

We don't encourage jumping, but we don't restrict it either. We mostly just avoid repetitive activities that put a lot of strain on growing bones, especially on hard surfaces, and we let her lead the way. Walking, for example, is done at her pace, with loads of tedious sniff stops. And if we're playing fetch in the yard, as soon as she lays down with the ball or frisbee, we end the session.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it magnificent??? I described that as the "OHMIGOSH I'M A POODLE!!!!!" stage. It's like they suddenly discover what they can do.

We don't encourage jumping, but we don't restrict it either. We mostly just avoid repetitive activities that put a lot of strain on growing bones, especially on hard surfaces, and we let her lead the way. Walking, for example, is done at her pace, with loads of tedious sniff stops. And if we're playing fetch in the yard, as soon as she lays down with the ball or frisbee, we end the session.
Aww I love that! When she’s off leash she runs and leaps over everything.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
She’s so beautiful! They are twins ❤
i don’t know about sweet little age. She forgot how to sit this week....
Ha! I actually contemplated deleting that part, because it really was less than sweet in many ways. But ohhhh that puppy fluff! It (almost) makes up for all that other stuff.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't have experience with jumping big dogs, but I really tried to minimize the hard slick surfaces. We have a big foam mat in our main room and I kept rubber garage tiles on the floor of the x pen. That way they're not going to lose their footing which can be bad for growing joints. You can put rugs underneath furniture they may jump off of. I did not let my mini jump off furniture for a long time, but I taught him from when he was little that I would lift him off if he wanted down. Poodles have springs in their legs, so there isn't a lot you can really do about it.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It is hard to restrict jumping and I gave up on it too. Gracie is almost 14 months now and past the worry stage, thank God. But she has been airborne for quite a while now. The flight path is lower as she is Only 15 lbs, but man can she fly! And she’s all legs, such a teenager.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
LOL, yes the flight. Renn will still leap occasionally in the air at 2. Its kind of unpredictable when it hits. I did restrict the jumping as I have wood floors and he would be slipping which was not good for his joints. When he is off leash in the backyard we are usually playing fetch or I'm weeding and he is doing his own thing which may include a leap here or there, especially if I'm not paying attention to him.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Our mini Jessie loves jumping. We never ask her to do it, but don't stop her either. She'll jump over the cat during indoor fetch, does vertical pogo jumps when she's really excited, and leaps doing her zoomies around the dog park. She was a trained circus dog with her previous owner and performed at a young age, so it's what she was brought up with. Hopefully she won't have joint problem down the road, but we'll just be proactive with vet care and making sure she stays on the lean side to help lessen the impact.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Our mini Jessie loves jumping. We never ask her to do it, but don't stop her either. She'll jump over the cat during indoor fetch, does vertical pogo jumps when she's really excited, and leaps doing her zoomies around the dog park. She was a trained circus dog with her previous owner and performed at a young age, so it's what she was brought up with. Hopefully she won't have joint problem down the road, but we'll just be proactive with vet care and making sure she stays on the lean side to help lessen the impact.
Wow! Really?? That's pretty neat. I didn't know poodles were still used in circuses. Does she ever surprise you with tricks?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wow! Really?? That's pretty neat. I didn't know poodles were still used in circuses. Does she ever surprise you with tricks?
Yup, really! She was part of a circus dinner show here in Orlando with a Russian classically trained professional performer. That being said, Jessie was essentially fired from the act :ROFLMAO: . She didn't like performing as much as the other poodles, and also got repeatedly distracted by the audience. So now she's a bouncy lap dog who gives me a healthy dose of "are you kidding me?" when I ask her do any of her tricks (unless she's really in the mood).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts