Poodle Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aw. Thanks so much for sharing. I really appreciate it. There seem to be so few accounts of this particular issue online. I’m glad we’re all finding each other here. :)

Like you, I wonder about the docked tail. But then I think she’d be leaking in a wider variety of circumstances. Not sure about your springer, but Peggy generally only leaks when she’s cuddled up with us, and even then, only rarely. Maybe it’s a marking instinct? I don’t know.

We’re putting her back on the Glandex to see if that gets us back to a monthly “schedule.” At the moment it’s happening, on average, every seven days or so. The couch cover has been a lifesaver. I just wish it were a little more stylish. I’m in search of good waterproof material that I can attack to the back of a pretty throw blanket.

The one thing which bugs me about the Glandex is that it contains vegetable glycerin, which is a known stool softener. And soft stools absolutely exacerbate the issue, probably because the glands remain more full and can “spill” (ick) more easily.
Yes, Teddy only does it when he is relaxed and resting. For us, it is about every 3 weeks. I did not realize the Glandex could soften his stools. If you find something better, let me know. Could try the pumpkin I suppose. At one point when I was researching, I read that some dogs just have excess anal fluid and that is why it will occasionally leak. That actually prevents them from getting impacted. But it is definitely not pleasant. Thankfully, Teddy lets me wipe his butt with natural wipes. Doesn’t bother him at all. 😆

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Yes, Teddy only does it when he is relaxed and resting. For us, it is about every 3 weeks. I did not realize the Glandex could soften his stools. If you find something better, let me know. Could try the pumpkin I suppose. At one point when I was researching, I read that some dogs just have excess anal fluid and that is why it will occasionally leak. That actually prevents them from getting impacted. But it is definitely not pleasant. Thankfully, Teddy lets me wipe his butt with natural wipes. Doesn’t bother him at all. 😆
I’m guessing there are enough bulking ingredients in the Glandex to counteract the softening effects of the vegetable glycerin. Just get annoyed that it pops up in soooo many dog products. It probably causes loads of problems that owners struggle to diagnose.

And thanks for reminding me it could be so much worse. Chronic impaction and/or abscess would be so painful for our pups. This is purely a stinky nuisance. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I’ve tried Gusto on a couple of different foods and the anal gland issue has stopped with putting him on Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice. We’ve had 1 episode and that was right after we did a long training session where he got a variety of treats and a lot of them.

i usually prefer more, ah, "premium" foods and I’ll try other foods in the future, but for now, I’m enjoying not having to smell anal glands every day.😁

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
So I’ve tried Gusto on a couple of different foods and the anal gland issue has stopped with putting him on Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice. We’ve had 1 episode and that was right after we did a long training session where he got a variety of treats and a lot of them.

i usually prefer more, ah, "premium" foods and I’ll try other foods in the future, but for now, I’m enjoying not having to smell anal glands every day.😁
Woo hoo! How long has it been since the last (non-treats-related) stinky episode?

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
It seems treats from other owners at our play dates were increasing the frequency of Peggy’s leaks. As soon as they stopped feeding her, the weekly episodes stopped.

This confirms my suspicion that even slightly softer poops can exacerbate this issue, and vegetable glycerin will absolutely soften poops. Too bad it’s in virtually every processed dog treat. I was so disappointed to learn it’s even used in one of Peggy’s very favourites: the turkey tendons they keep on the counter at our local pet food store. Oh well.

If you’re wondering if a treat is a good option for your leaky or diarrhea-prone pup, if it’s soft or shiny, you should probably pass until you can verify the ingredients.

Freeze-dried is a good alternative.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,808 Posts
Thanks for tackling such an icky subject, PtP. Over the years I've noticed times when Mia's poop was especially soft, and while I've assumed it had something to do with treats, I was never motivated to determine the culprit. Even though this hasn't been as big of an issue for us as for others, it's still a relief to know what ingredients to avoid.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Sigh, I have had simply had to nix any treats that are not single ingredient, Mom approved, with no preservatives. Strange, my spoo can do chicken jerkey of certain brands, but Not turkey jerkey at all. Dried sweet potato seems to be ok, dried organic liver seems to be ok. So, I now we have to 'just say no' to any treats unless someone can tell me what exactly they are. I hope no-one even says the word 'treat' around my Spoo!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Woo hoo! How long has it been since the last (non-treats-related) stinky episode?
It’s been about 2 weeks. He did fine after our training class this week. I mix a bunch of treats together so it may be one brand that caused the issue after that training session. I’ll have to pay attention when it happens again.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I don't feel like starting another thread so I'm just adding to this ongoing one! Misha has had one of his anal glands become increasingly annoying over the past few months. It came on very slow. This particular gland has always produced more than the other and has always had a thicker consistency. But over time it got thicker and more pus-like and he needed it emptied more and more often. The past two months have been very bad and it will fill up every few days. So I knew something was definitely not right with it. I finally got him in to see the vet today and they confirmed that yes, that gland seems to be infected and the other one is fine. So he's on an antibiotic and they applied some sort of antibiotic inside of the gland. He has to go back in a week and they will likely need to reapply it. The vet said it can be an annoying issue to clear up. There doesn't seem to be any clear reason why it got infected. Clearly the anal glands exist in a very bacteria-filled environment. Misha says he's adding "weird butt stuff" to his list of reasons for not going in that building.

Anyway I figured it might be useful for anybody who notices a change in the consistency or frequency that anal glands need to be expressed.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Misha says he's adding "weird butt stuff" to his list of reasons for not going in that building.
Sorry for the LOL, Misha. ;)

Hoping the antibiotics do the trick. I’ve still never expressed Peggy’s glands myself. She had it done just the one time, at the vet’s office, and all was normal. Gracie, on the other hand, had frequent discomfort back there. No fishy smell, but she’d scoot all the way down our steep driveway and leave a long streak. Classy gal. I think small dogs do tend to struggle with this stuff more.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Sorry for the LOL, Misha. ;)

Hoping the antibiotics do the trick. I’ve still never expressed Peggy’s glands myself. She had it done just the one time, at the vet’s office, and all was normal. Gracie, on the other hand, had frequent discomfort back there. No fishy smell, but she’d scoot all the way down our steep driveway and leave a long streak. Classy gal. I think small dogs do tend to struggle with this stuff more.
Yes for sure. I think it is just a mismatch of size issue where the glands are not evolved properly to empty in small dogs. I'm really hoping that treatment will result in Misha going back to rarely needing them emptied. Because the other gland has never had issues like this.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Wow congrats! I hope we can go back to that. I have lately just emptied them every weekly bath because I know it is likely to leak if I don't. Just the * one though.
I’m seriously wondering if I should do it before the inevitable happens. I think we’ve found at least a partial fix (avoiding vegetable glycerin, except in the Glandex), but she got treats from a friend at her playdate yesterday, so I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
625 Posts
Vegetable Glycerin is in practically every soft dog treat. How can such a common dog treat ingredient cause issue like this? Why is it used in (most) everything if is causes soft stools? You'd think they would know. Maybe that's why they say only xx treats per xx pound dog/day. Covers their butt!

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Vegetable Glycerin is in practically every soft dog treat. How can such a common dog treat ingredient cause issue like this? Why is it used in (most) everything if is causes soft stools? You'd think they would know. Maybe that's why they say only xx treats per xx pound dog/day. Covers their butt!
It’s not that surprising when you consider how many questionable ingredients are used in human food, too. Especially human junk food, which is basically what processed dog treats are.

That said, it doesn’t cause anal gland issues in all dogs. Peggy’s just seem to be particularly sensitive to the effects of softer stools.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
625 Posts
It’s not that surprising when you consider how many questionable ingredients are used in human food, too. Especially human junk food, which is basically what processed dog treats are.

That said, it doesn’t cause anal gland issues in all dogs. Peggy’s just seem to be particularly sensitive to the effects of softer stools.
Soft stool contributes to non-expressed (problem) glands, doesn't it?

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Soft stool contributes to non-expressed (problem) glands, doesn't it?
Correct. But some dogs are prone to hard stools, so there could be a balancing effect when they consume ingredients like glycerin. Overall diet would probably play a role, too.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts