Poodle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the tips! It’s crazy how similar our situations are. Our dog only leaks when she’s resting with me...never in her bed or when she’s sleeping alone somewhere. We already have a couch cover because of this ..haha...and yes it’s ugly but necessary at this point.
Hello, I'm new to this space but my rescue dog (yorkie mix) has been having this exact problem! Originally I noticed her bum scooching a month ago and brought her to the vet. The vet claimed that her anal glands were impacted so he expressed them - and suggested that I put her on a prescription diet (her eyes are leaky and scratches from time to time). He said that he believed all three were related to a food allergies. Im a little hesitant to start her on that because she's not exhibiting any of the other typical allergy symptoms (incessant licking of paws or chewing of paws, and scratching to the point of breaking skin).

The worst part is my dog is very picky with her kibble and i finally found one that she will eat (Orijen Small Dogs). I've been adding more vegetables to her diet and thankfully she loves eating that.

In the past week, her bum has been leaking randomly (in 7 days she leaked 4 of those 7). and Similar to you both, she leaks only when she's sitting or relaxed on my lap. Not sure what I should do - someone recommended trying some sort of elimination diet to see what may or may not be causing this.

Thanks for all your insight. It's definitely been helpful.

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hello, I'm new to this space but my rescue dog (yorkie mix) has been having this exact problem! Originally I noticed her bum scooching a month ago and brought her to the vet. The vet claimed that her anal glands were impacted so he expressed them - and suggested that I put her on a prescription diet (her eyes are leaky and scratches from time to time). He said that he believed all three were related to a food allergies. Im a little hesitant to start her on that because she's not exhibiting any of the other typical allergy symptoms (incessant licking of paws or chewing of paws, and scratching to the point of breaking skin).

The worst part is my dog is very picky with her kibble and i finally found one that she will eat (Orijen Small Dogs). I've been adding more vegetables to her diet and thankfully she loves eating that.

In the past week, her bum has been leaking randomly (in 7 days she leaked 4 of those 7). and Similar to you both, she leaks only when she's sitting or relaxed on my lap. Not sure what I should do - someone recommended trying some sort of elimination diet to see what may or may not be causing this.

Peggy’s never had impacted glands, but that’s a common problem with small dogs. Have you tried Glandex chews? Some vegetables can actually cause loose stools, which is the opposite of what you want.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
The only time Sophy has had trouble with her anal glands was when both dogs had a tummy bug that went on for a month or two - all those weeks of soft stools meant the glands did not empty properly, but the first I knew about it was when one ruptured. No scooting or licking before that. Fortunately it healed quickly and easily.

I've found bone is the answer, in just the right quantities. I know you don't want to risk giving Peggy meaty bones, but meat containing ground bone might do the trick. The standard formula is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% offal but some varieties like chicken and rabbit tend to be closer to 20% bone. Sophy does best on a little less than 10%, so for her I combine the chicken with at least the same quantity of boneless meat, plus a few mixed vegetables, simmered in plenty of water, but a little high bone content ground meat as a topper may be enough to do the trick for Peggy (and the little Yorkie mix).

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
The only time Sophy has had trouble with her anal glands was when both dogs had a tummy bug that went on for a month or two - all those weeks of soft stools meant the glands did not empty properly, but the first I knew about it was when one ruptured. No scooting or licking before that. Fortunately it healed quickly and easily.

I've found bone is the answer, in just the right quantities. I know you don't want to risk giving Peggy meaty bones, but meat containing ground bone might do the trick. The standard formula is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% offal but some varieties like chicken and rabbit tend to be closer to 20% bone. Sophy does best on a little less than 10%, so for her I combine the chicken with at least the same quantity of boneless meat, plus a few mixed vegetables, simmered in plenty of water, but a little high bone content ground meat as a topper may be enough to do the trick for Peggy (and the little Yorkie mix).
I researched bone meal without much luck, but never considered ground meat that contains bone. Do you grind it yourself?

One of the longest periods Peggy’s gone without leaks was when she ate a mystery critter in the backyard. I’d love to give her the equivalent of one raw “mystery critter” per week. It looked about the size of a large mouse.

This is actually something I brought up with the behaviourist. I do suspect it would really benefit her. I’m just nervous because she’s so very relaxed around her food. I’d hate to ruin that.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
You can buy ground raw, which contains bone. Hare Today and My Pet Carnivore are two large manufacturers/distributors but there's likely someone closer to you, PtP.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
I buy it ready ground, but with the right equipment you could grind your own.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peggy’s never had impacted glands, but that’s a common problem with small dogs. Have you tried Glandex chews? Some vegetables can actually cause loose stools, which is the opposite of what you want.
Ive done some research into that and have considered giving it a try

her poops are definitely not loose. Well formed all the time. Varying in size at times but she poops 2-3 times a day.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
You can buy ground raw, which contains bone. Hare Today and My Pet Carnivore are two large manufacturers/distributors but there's likely someone closer to you, PtP.
Ground raw does not give them the satisfaction and teeth cleaning benefits of actually chewing the bones.

I tried ground raw single animal, and other extremely expensive ground raw with multi animal raw food. It not only drained my bank account, but did not give my spoo the benefit of actually chewing the bones.

I have gone back several times to real meat. Real food. My best luck when I can is going directly to farmers that I can see and know how they raise and feed their animals. My spoo can tell the difference between for instance CAFO beef liver, even in expensive 'raw food expensive' and raw liver from organic beef/lamb/chicken, etc. He absolutely refuses to eat CAFO liver.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

I had a rescue chihuahua that had problems with his glands, unlike Peggy who only has an occasional leakage. This chihuahua would get impacted glands, happened 2x to him. If you see him scooting you should have your vet check to see if his glands af full and if so they would express then. Early on after his 1st issue I had to have them expressed about 3x a year, later the problem went mostly away. I added a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to his meals 2x a day. I also tried the glandex but its pricey and actually the pumpkin worked. Keeping his stool on the harder side causes the gland to press itself and you don't have this problem, Most dogs with softer stool are more prone. They say bone increases the fecal bulk and this also eliminates anal gland issues. Ithink this is totally different for PTP's dog Peggy. I think with her, and I'm only guessing is that she either has a very slight weak weak muscle or perhaps on a particular day she didn't quite have enough bulk to totally eliminate the emptying of the gland thus when she relaxed, out it came. Since it isn't a regular occurrence and only happens sporadically thats what I am thinking , that perhaps when it naturally emptied, it just didn't fully empty. I recently found this article interesting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive done some research into that and have considered giving it a try

her poops are definitely not loose. Well formed all the time. Varying in size at times but she poops 2-3 times a day.
I’ve noticed that every time we give my dog Pedigree DentalStix, her leaking episodes start again. She was off them for a while, and no leakage. I’m not sure if this is coincidence, but thought I’d share in case you were giving your dogs the same product!

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
I’ve noticed that every time we give my dog Pedigree DentalStix, her leaking episodes start again. She was off them for a while, and no leakage. I’m not sure if this is coincidence, but thought I’d share in case you were giving your dogs the same product!
I mentioned to you in a previous post that even a single treat with glycerin can soften poops enough to trigger an episode. So I just did a quick search of the ingredients in Dentastix and, sure enough, it’s the third ingredient! Definitely not a coincidence.

@Eunicyy, I would stay far, far away from almost all dog treats. Yak cheese chews are excellent for gnawing and have minimal ingredients. For low value treats, I use a high quality kibble (Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters). Otherwise I typically use bits of chicken or mozzarella, but you have to experiment to figure out what works best for your dog.

A food journal is essential for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mentioned to you in a previous post that even a single treat with glycerin can soften poops enough to trigger an episode. So I just did a quick search of the ingredients in Dentastix and, sure enough, it’s the third ingredient! Definitely not a coincidence.

@Eunicyy, I would stay far, far away from almost all dog treats. Yak cheese chews are excellent for gnawing and have minimal ingredients. For low value treats, I use a hugh quality kibble (Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters). Otherwise I typically use bits of chicken or mozzarella, but you have to experiment to figure out what works best for your dog.

A food journal is essential for that.
Thank you so much for these suggestions! Yes, definitely no more dental stix for her!

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I had a rescue chihuahua that had problems with his glands, unlike Peggy who only has an occasional leakage. This chihuahua would get impacted glands, happened 2x to him. If you see him scooting you should have your vet check to see if his glands af full and if so they would express then. Early on after his 1st issue I had to have them expressed about 3x a year, later the problem went mostly away. I added a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to his meals 2x a day. I also tried the glandex but its pricey and actually the pumpkin worked. Keeping his stool on the harder side causes the gland to press itself and you don't have this problem, Most dogs with softer stool are more prone. They say bone increases the fecal bulk and this also eliminates anal gland issues. Ithink this is totally different for PTP's dog Peggy. I think with her, and I'm only guessing is that she either has a very slight weak weak muscle or perhaps on a particular day she didn't quite have enough bulk to totally eliminate the emptying of the gland thus when she relaxed, out it came. Since it isn't a regular occurrence and only happens sporadically thats what I am thinking , that perhaps when it naturally emptied, it just didn't fully empty. I recently found this article interesting.
You’re right, @Mufar42. Different issues. I’ve suspected since Peggy first came home that she could have some nerve damage from her docking. Her tail has always bothered her.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Mia's too! They docked it too short, and she's very sensitive about having the end of her tail touched, making it tricky to groom.

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Mia's too! They docked it too short, and she's very sensitive about having the end of her tail touched, making it tricky to groom.
That is so sad. :( Peggy’s isn’t quite a nugget like ol’ Nugget Tail in the Poodle Forum banner, but it’s definitely on the short side.

We worked hard to desensitize her to having it touched—a combination of contact during play and clicker training—and I think we also got a little lucky. She’s now fine with having it stroked and brushed. It definitely still bothers her, though.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
That is so sad. :( Peggy’s isn’t quite a nugget like ol’ Nugget Tail in the Poodle Forum banner, but it’s definitely on the short side.
OMG, I either never noticed ol' Nugget Tail, or had completely forgotten. Ouch! A friend's spoo is docked really short like that, and Watching it bob around makes me wince.

Mia's isn't that short, either, they're just off by an inch or less, but it has bothered Mia her whole life. I wish the US would go to undocked tails....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read through the whole thread glad I finally found others having the same problem ( but sorry you all are) because I wasn’t finding much googling.

I work from home and just over a month this horrendous odor filled my office. Gusto was just laying there sleeping on his back when his anal glands released. Since then it’s happened at least once a week. Not always when he has been sleeping, but never for a “good” reason like being scared, etc.

His stools appear good, but we have had periods of loose stools before the anal gland issue started. Right now I’m trying some different kibble, but I’m thinking I may have to go to raw or at least homemade at some point to see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I read through the whole thread glad I finally found others having the same problem ( but sorry you all are) because I wasn’t finding much googling.

I work from home and just over a month this horrendous odor filled my office. Gusto was just laying there sleeping on his back when his anal glands released. Since then it’s happened at least once a week. Not always when he has been sleeping, but never for a “good” reason like being scared, etc.

His stools appear good, but we have had periods of loose stools before the anal gland issue started. Right now I’m trying some different kibble, but I’m thinking I may have to go to raw or at least homemade at some point to see if that helps.
I’m sorry you can relate! Isn’t it crazy how little information there is about this online? Sooooo much on impacted glands. Virtually nothing about occasional undesirable expression.

Peggy’s poops are still very well formed, but have definitely been slightly softer lately. She doesn’t have to strain at all. I’m guessing this is why we’re now also on a “weekly leak” schedule, but still only when she’s relaxing on the couch with us. So baffling, as she also regularly relaxes in bed with my husband and it’s not an issue there. And in her most relaxed place of all—her crate—it’s never happened.

I was really hoping the Pet Honesty allergy chews would help, but they just gave her bad breath. Maybe I should put her back on the Glandex chews to see if that gets us back to a 3-4 week schedule.

Have you tried Glandex? It’s not specifically designed for our particular issue, but it’s supposed to firm up poops, which should at least promote regular expression outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! Following this thread. We have a 4.5 month old Bernedoodle (75% standard poodle) who has the same issue - leaking fishy/metallic smelling discharge (small amount) when relaxing or having just woken from a lengthy nap. Doesn't happen all the time and isn't as stinky as some of you are experiencing, but my nose is attuned to it, so I think I'm hyper-aware. I've never smelled it on his crate pad or bed, either.

Our issue didn't start until after his first groom where I stupidly forgot to tell them not to express his glands. This is our first puppy and first dog that needed to see the groomer, so we didn't really know what to ask for until after the fact. I assume they expressed them, and ever since then - about 2.5 weeks ago now, we've had this leaking issue.

After doing much of the same research you all have, I concluded that it was likely allergies. Doodles in general are predisposed to all kinds, so I'm not surprised if this is something we have to deal with. Since the middle of last week, we've been transitioning him to Natural Balance LID lamb and brown rice. As of yesterday all treats and chews have stopped, and he is JUST on this food. Looking back on it, his stools were regularly quite soft even though they looked well-formed, but now with the LID food, they are visibly much more firm.

I'm also sort of convinced that something happened at the groomer's but my vet says she's never seen or heard of anything like that before. He's seeing her for an appointment on Friday just to clear him of any issues like an infection in the glands, impaction, etc. (because I'm paranoid). His behaviour is 100% normal, no scooting, biting his rear, excessive licking.

Since I'm seeing our vet for this, if anything interesting comes out of it, I'll report back here.

Hope this helps!

Also @PeggyTheParti, I just checked three of the softer treats we give him and they all have vegetable glycerin as a top ingredient. Hmmmm. These are all-natural and good quality treats - we give him nothing junky, but interesting to see that ingredient there. Regardless, we've stopped all treats for now while we're on this elimination diet journey.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts