Poodle Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
You could also try fur/feathers in addition to a bit of bone.
Yes. I give cow ears sometimes for the addition of fur. And quails are popular for feathers.
Where does one get such things??

And could I maybe try giving her whole fish? Is there a particular kind that might mimic the bone content of a mouse? I saw freeze dried minnows over at Chewy.com but the reviews weren't great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine love Vital Essentials minnows, but those might be a bit small.. You can buy frozen sardines at many Asian grocery stores. Those are the largest whole fish I’ve given Groot. Not too sure what the bone content is since I usually give them for the omegas. I also buy smelt from our local store to give to them whole.

I get a lot from WAzzuOR which is a raw food co-op. Thogersen Family Farm is fairly local and they sell rabbit feet and ears with fur still on them and grinds that are whole prey. You can also ask local farmers at the farmer’s market if they can sell you something of that nature.

You could also probably buy mice from a pet store. They usually sell them for reptiles.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Where does one get such things??

And could I maybe try giving her whole fish? Is there a particular kind that might mimic the bone content of a mouse? I saw freeze dried minnows over at Chewy.com but the reviews weren't great.
A lot of people get quail and rodents from reptile suppliers like Rodentpro. I give fish all the time... usually herring, sardine, or mackerel. They do have bone but I would guess the bone content is not particularly high. You may have to do a little bit of persuading to convince her to eat it if she's not a fish lover. I remember with our family dog she was very unconvinced at first. For safety, it is best to freeze fish for three weeks prior to feeding to be sure they will not transfer parasites.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts