Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Sigh. I think switching over to a simple homemade diet for a few weeks might be necessary. But we've got these massive bags of kibble to get through.
That’s a major problem. I think I had 3 bags of kibble and about 3-4 different kinds of canned food, maybe 10-12 cans. Fortunately I was able to get refunded for most of it, but I still lost a lot of money. Also I hate wasting food.

You need to keep some on hand though and maybe you can freeze some ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just following along here, PTP, but wanted to say that I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this. Yuck! I'm not familiar with this problem, but it seems like you're puzzling through it the right way. I hope it's food related and doesn't require surgery. Best to you both.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That’s a major problem. I think I had 3 bags of kibble and about 3-4 different kinds of canned food, maybe 10-12 cans. Fortunately I was able to get refunded for most of it, but I still lost a lot of money. Also I hate wasting food.

You need to keep some on hand though and maybe you can freeze some ?
You definitely get it!

I do like the freezing idea. But I'd have to empty out the human food to make room. I think what I'm going to do is start slowly crowding out the chicken with other proteins—a more gradual approach, rather than an elimination diet. But the egg is going to be tricky, as it seems to be in all my favourite dog foods. Hoping chicken is the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just following along here, PTP, but wanted to say that I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this. Yuck! I'm not familiar with this problem, but it seems like you're puzzling through it the right way. I hope it's food related and doesn't require surgery. Best to you both.
Thanks for the encouragement. :) In the grand scheme of poodle probs, it's really not a big one. But yesterday she had diarrhea for the first time ever (I'm sure I jinxed it by bragging about her beautiful poops lol) and today it's been non-stop gas. So between that and the goopy eyes, I think I do need to re-evaluate her diet.

It's also possible that she has environmental allergies. That's what the vet thinks is causing her eye goop. Grass pollen is so bad today, I finally had to run out to Walgreens for some Claritin for myself.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Natural Balance has some really good LID that are actually single protein and single grain if you want to try that... Trixie eats the chicken and sweet potato LID.

I get you on the bags of extra kibble issue. I bought a nearly 40 lb bag for Annie while I was struggling to find food for her, I'd (FINALLY) found one that worked, and accidentally grabbed a different but similar variety from the same brand of a "better quality" than the last bag (Acana Ranchlands instead of Classic Red). She it threw up repeatedly, would pick around it if I left a few kibbles in the bowl with her "good" food (implying it really didn't agree with her) and I'd already thrown out the packaging. My sister's dog was VERY happy with it though!

If it's a bit milder of an intolerance, I've been known to mix in about 7 parts "good" kibble with 1 part "bad" kibble to get rid of whole bags of food that Annie didn't tolerate well in her puppy days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently was reading dog food adviser's list of recommended foods. One reviewer said one of them had cured her dogs fecal leaking. Sorry, I don't remember which one, but it was recent. Might be worth looking for it. Good luck, my pup has urinary incontinence after spaying. They put her on estrogen supplement; I am not happy about it!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I can offer no advice, only my sympathies.

Your original post in this thread describes my doodle almost exactly. I think overall, my pup has less discharge, and perhaps less frequency, but more or less the same, complete with sometimes months of no detected discharge. My pup does not have goopy eyes, or any other issues which could possibly be related. Firm stool too. No signs of discomfort, or scooting.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I appreciate the sympathy, rkj. And I'm so sorry you can relate.

It happened again last night on freshly washed sheets. Ugh. How can just a tiny drop of anything smell that bad??

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I recently was reading dog food adviser's list of recommended foods. One reviewer said one of them had cured her dogs fecal leaking. Sorry, I don't remember which one, but it was recent. Might be worth looking for it. Good luck, my pup has urinary incontinence after spaying. They put her on estrogen supplement; I am not happy about it!
I'm so sorry to hear that. How old was your pup when she was spayed?

The risk of fecal incontinence is one of the reasons why I'm wary of removing Peggy's anal sacs. Since they're not impacted or infected in any way, it would be purely to avoid the inconvenience of these occasional "deposits." I still plan to discuss the option with our vet.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hmmm. I just had a thought! Since the anal glands are intended to leave behind a stinky "calling card" for other dogs, could this actually be a form of marking?

I thought relaxation was the common denominator. But it seems that the common denominator is actually her proximity to us.

I've never detected it on her bed or in her crate, which doesn't make sense if it happens specifically when she's relaxed.

Maybe she does have control over it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmmm. I just had a thought! Since the anal glands are intended to leave behind a stinky "calling card" for other dogs, could this actually be a form of marking?

I thought relaxation was the common denominator. But it seems that the common denominator is actually her proximity to us.

I've never detected it on her bed or in her crate, which doesn't make sense if it happens specifically when she's relaxed.

What a stinker, literally! 😂

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Maybe she needs to be in a dog diaper for a while to test this theory? I would think that if she leaks in the diaper, then it wouldn't be intentional?

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Egg will give the runs if you don't do a slow introduction. She would probably be fine if you started out with a little and worked her up. It's just a rich food.
No diarrhea, thankfully. But she got extremely itchy. That's why I'm thinking the small amount in her food might be a low-grade allergen.

The only goopy-eye trigger I've 100% nailed down is our groomer's shampoo.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Maybe she needs to be in a dog diaper for a while to test this theory? I would think that if she leaks in the diaper, then it wouldn't be intentional?
I'm not sure if that would stop a dog from marking or not. Do they really understand the concept of diapers? She peed in hers during her first heat, when I forgot to take it off her. That was fun. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
She was about six or seven months, if I remember correctly. Had not had a cycle yet; I was told to go ahead. Not sure it was wise, but water under a bridge. Hope your sweetie will be ok. It is curious that it is doesn't happen in her crate or while she is sleeping. I don't buy into the idea of oppositional behavior intentionally. Could it be a stage between relaxation and deep sleep? I would guess some level of relaxation sets this off. It was a canned food for adults, as I remember. Mine has suddenly developed problems around the dried Canidiae she has been eating for several years. So I was looking into it. Good luck; you have a great pup.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I found this on dogstar

The purpose of dog anal glands is somewhat debated. For some time the prevailing theory was that anal glands exist as proof that God hates us. However, most reputable experts now believe that dog anal glands serve to scent mark territory and feces. As such, dog anal glands appear to play a very significant role in the butt sniffing that is so common in our canine companions.
Under normal circumstances the dog anal glands produce and store their fluid. When the dog defecates the glands contract and some of the fluid is expressed through the duct and onto the feces. The feces, and the dog’s territory, are therefore scent marked.
Sometimes, however, things go wrong.
Dogs’ anal glands may empty spontaneously. This commonly is referred to as “shooting the glands” because the nasty fluid, with its concomitant strongly unpleasant odor, has a way of spraying onto nearby objects. Anything that causes fear, stress, or excitement may trigger a dog to shoot his glands. This appears to be linked to sudden contraction of the muscles in the area.
Many things unrelated to fear, stress, and excitement also tend to cause dogs to shoot their glands. Examples include being invited onto a new sofa or into a new car, being invited onto the bed for the first time, being in the presence of a person who is wearing especially fancy clothes (in which case the fluid will be directed onto the clothes), and the presence of guests (especially one’s boss or a new romantic interest) in the house. In these cases the cause of the anal gland release appears to be Murphy’s Law.

In the event of a dog shooting his glands, the people present can take solace in one (and only one) thing: The odor of dog anal glands is typically very transient and it therefore does not linger for too long.
I

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Lol! Luckily, she doesn't "shoot" anything.

But my dad once jumped out to playfully startle his GSD and it backfired horribly: The poor dog DID shoot fluid from his anal glands....all over the wall.

My dad never did that again.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts