Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an ongoing part of Life With Peggy and I'm ready to find a solution.

Does anyone's poodle leak when they're relaxed? It only seems to happen when she's on the couch or bed with us, and generally it's just a strong fish smell, but sometimes she leaves a stinky spot of fluid behind. It will typically happen a couple of times a week for a few weeks, then nothing for a few weeks. Repeat, repeat.

She has excellent, firm poops. Has never had diarrhea. We do give her Glandex (both the chews and the powder), which seems to bulk her stool up a bit, but just when we start thinking it's working.....NOPE. I'm so over it.

She doesn't scoot or lick. She does often bite at the end of her tail. During a particularly bad week, we took her to the vet to have her glands checked and expressed, but they were only moderately full and the fluid was normal. It's almost like it's a GOOD thing that they leak? Because it means they're not impacted? But ugh. Not fun.

Anyone ever experience or solve this? I can't think of a solution other than keeping them 100% empty at all times, which obviously isn't realistic.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow I’ve never heard of that before. But one of my standard poodles used to occasionally get an impacted anal gland which seemed really painful, poor thing, especially when the vet had to express it. Peggy’s version seems healthier! Sorry it’s so disgusting, I wouldn’t care for that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I’ve never heard of that before. But one of my standard poodles used to occasionally get an impacted anal gland which seemed really painful, poor thing, especially when the vet had to express it. Peggy’s version seems healthier! Sorry it’s so disgusting, I wouldn’t care for that either.

I'm happy she's not in pain, but yep. So disgusting. And also really annoying when you're relaxing in the evening and have to do a stinky load of laundry.

I've been digging around online for a good 8 months, and have only turned up a handful of similar stories. Always seems to be the opposite issue.

I suppose we could just keep her off the bed and couch, but that's a sad thought. I love poodle cuddles. Maybe I should consider a diaper for her. Is that extreme for something that doesn't happen daily or even necessarily weekly?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Misha had one leak slightly while snuggling a couple weeks ago. Horrible! I'm so sorry. I can't imagine dealing with it all the time. I know somebody who had their dog's glands removed because they kept leaking like that. I think it was a simple surgery. I would look into it.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Misha had one leak slightly while snuggling a couple weeks ago. Horrible! I'm so sorry. I can't imagine dealing with it all the time. I know somebody who had their dog's glands removed because they kept leaking like that. I think it was a simple surgery. I would look into it.
It's amazing how little it takes to stink up a couch!

She's still not been spayed, so I suppose we could look into doing it at the same time. But I worry about incontinence.

Leaky glands wouldn't seem like such a big deal anymore if she started leaking poop. Eek!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know it’s not the same but you remind me of myself, wondering how on earth I can keep our dogs from eating junk in the woods. It includes ohhhh mouse poop, deer hair (yes! Evidently it’s delicious), a pine cone. So I have pondered, what about poodle masks? Muzzles, but not like Hannibal style. Google says they fall off, and part of me thinks they might dim the woods experience. Oh but something I’ve done you might want to try before diapers is, if you put some men’s underwear on Peggy with her tail out the y-front you can try out how diapers might work, but without the bulk. I’ve used them when my Poodle was in heat (she’s never been bred but I waited a few years before spaying her).

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
As you know Beckie has the same problem. The vet had told me it could be related to her food allergies (she has been having gastric problem since puppy hood). She doesn’t leak as far as I know (she probably does, but in tiny amount that I don’t see) but the vet has also expressed her glands to my request when she was smelling fishy, ad told me they weren’t full.

I have learned to do it myself because it was getting ridiculous, it has to be done every 2 weeks, sometimes even 7-10 days.

BUT... And this is a big but with many ifs... Since her last gastric flare-up 2 weeks ago, she has only been eating homemade boiled chicken/rice the first weeks and now she is on raw turkey. Only turkey meat, organs and bones. No carbs, no artificial or synthetic ingredients, nothing else.

Her stools are small and very firm, and she hasn’t had Glandex in 3 weeks, because I needed to let her pancreas rest. No problems with her glands either (touch wood) since she started being ill (you’d think her stools being so tiny it would make it worse).

Since she has been having so many problems all her life with dozens of kibble and canned food, either from the vet or the best commercial food I could find (and I’ve tried many different proteins) I decided to put her on the only food she had never been on : raw.

We’re still in trial mode. The turkey she is on is very low fat, but soon I will be giving her different proteins and if it works well, she will stay on it, maybe with dehydrated raw because it is much more convenient.

I’m not saying it’s what Peggy’s problem is, but it’s definitely something to consider (allergies).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I’ve been reading about this all over a group on Facebook because I fear Willow has developed this problem as well. People swear by a spoonful of 100% canned pumpkin(not the pie mix) with her food. It’s a healthy thing to try at the very least. Let me know if you’ve tried it! I’m going to get some tomorrow. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been reading about this all over a group on Facebook because I fear Willow has developed this problem as well. People swear by a spoonful of 100% canned pumpkin(not the pie mix) with her food. It’s a healthy thing to try at the very least. Let me know if you’ve tried it! I’m going to get some tomorrow. Good luck!
Have you ever had Willow's checked and/or expressed by your vet?

Peggy vomits up pumpkin, so not gonna go there again. But she does enjoy green beans and other veggies. Maybe I should increase how much she's getting.

The problem with everything I've read online is it tends to focus on impacted glands rather than the opposite. She already has solid, well-formed poops, and her glands empty regularly. It's more like she's lacking muscle tone or control or something. I wonder if tail docking can cause this? But I suppose that would cause incontinence, too.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it’s not the same but you remind me of myself, wondering how on earth I can keep our dogs from eating junk in the woods. It includes ohhhh mouse poop, deer hair (yes! Evidently it’s delicious), a pine cone. So I have pondered, what about poodle masks? Muzzles, but not like Hannibal style. Google says they fall off, and part of me thinks they might dim the woods experience. Oh but something I’ve done you might want to try before diapers is, if you put some men’s underwear on Peggy with her tail out the y-front you can try out how diapers might work, but without the bulk. I’ve used them when my Poodle was in heat (she’s never been bred but I waited a few years before spaying her).

We used those when Peggy was in heat, too, on her light days. They'd be no match for this stinky liquid, though. Today's episode went straight through a sheet, onto a favourite quilt.

And you're not alone with the grazing dogs! Peggy still loses her brain sometimes and picks up rocks. The big ones make me worry about her teeth, but the small ones scare the you-know-what out of me! One of these days, she's going to accidentally swallow one. A Hannibal Lecter mask doesn't sound like such a bad idea.....

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not saying it’s what Peggy’s problem is, but it’s definitely something to consider (allergies).
This has actually come up a few times now in my research. And Peggy's eyes do regularly flare up with goop, which our vet attributes to allergies.

Her digestive system is chugging along so nicely, though. I hate to mess with her diet too much. And raw turns her into a beast, so that's off the table, at least for now.

One thing I might consider is taking her off chicken for a while. It's in almost everything she eats, but I could easily switch to different proteins within the same brands.

And we do have a holistic vet about an hour from here, who I've been really wanting to try.

I hope you'll keep me posted on Beckie's progress with raw!

·
Registered
16 Posts
And raw turns her into a beast, so that's off the table, at least for now.
Hi PeggytheParti,

Just curious by what you mean by that? Pixie is incredibly picky with kibble. She'll eat most other things including veggies and fruit but many days she just outright refuses her kibble and being a growing girl, I get worried as she is definitely on the thin side. Stools often tend toward mushy, but I've blamed it on the sheer amount of veg she can put away (begs with soulful eyes for cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, apples, etc etc etc and during the teething phase I've been generous with veggies). When I can get her to eat kibble, her stools improve a lot.

I've been toying with the idea of a raw diet but have never fed my dogs raw before. Does Peggy have general behavioral changes or is it more food guarding because the raw items are more valuable?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi PeggytheParti,

Just curious by what you mean by that? Pixie is incredibly picky with kibble. She'll eat most other things including veggies and fruit but many days she just outright refuses her kibble and being a growing girl, I get worried as she is definitely on the thin side. Stools often tend toward mushy, but I've blamed it on the sheer amount of veg she can put away (begs with soulful eyes for cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, apples, etc etc etc and during the teething phase I've been generous with veggies). When I can get her to eat kibble, her stools improve a lot.

I've been toying with the idea of a raw diet but have never fed my dogs raw before. Does Peggy have general behavioral changes or is it more food guarding because the raw items are more valuable?

Thanks!
Just guarding. She's fine with all other food, treats, chews, etc. but the one time I gave her a raw chicken wing, she growled when I tried to pet her.

To be clear: I shouldn't have tried to pet her! I should have left her to eat it in peace. But I'm so used to her enjoying affection while she chews, I didn't think anything of it.

She's had a couple of other guarding episodes (a hair scrunchie she vomited up, a clump of grass) and I'm not interested in triggering those feelings around food, considering she's usually so happy to share.

But don't let that deter you from exploring your options!

Peggy's picky, too. I understand the struggle. If you want to keep trying kibble, I've had the best luck with Farmina and Honest Kitchen Clusters. Peggy also really likes Weruva canned chicken. I use it as a topper.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
PTP - what about homecooked? I'm sure she'd like it, maybe not quite as much as raw(!), and you could try limiting to one protein and one carb source (Annie does well on beef or pork or turkey, not on chicken or duck or with any fish).

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PTP - what about homecooked? I'm sure she'd like it, maybe not quite as much as raw(!), and you could try limiting to one protein and one carb source (Annie does well on beef or pork or turkey, not on chicken or duck or with any fish).
She'd probably love it! I think that'll be my next option if switching up her proteins doesn't help. I do think she's getting way too much chicken right now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you’re not squeamish about raw meat, you can try hand feeding meatballs to try and help prevent the guarding... if you ever decide to go that route again.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you’re not squeamish about raw meat, you can try hand feeding meatballs to try and help prevent the guarding... if you ever decide to go that route again.
I was handfeeding the chicken wing when she growled. But again—I reached up to pet her head, which was silly. Plus, I was feeding it to her outside, and there were tons of neighbourhood noises that had her on edge while she was experiencing this brand new, high value food.

For someone who should really know better, I made a startling number of mistakes. Lol.

I like the meatball idea. I'll give that a try, inside her x-pen and minus the petting.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Have you ever had Willow's checked and/or expressed by your vet?

Peggy vomits up pumpkin, so not gonna go there again. But she does enjoy green beans and other veggies. Maybe I should increase how much she's getting.

How much pumpkin did you give Peggy that she threw it up? I always start out slow and my chihuahuas were able to take a tablespoon, but we worked up from a teaspoon. Glandex also contains pumpkin, though I think its from the seed. It is normally given when their glands are not expressing on their own and is suppose to help with that. So maybe she doesn't need this. You may want to try stopping it and see. As long as her stool remains hard she should be expressing them on her own. Always be sure it is canned pumpkin and not pie mix . (you did mention this) Rule of thumb is larger dogs (approximately 75 pounds) can be fed 1 tablespoon. I add it to their meal and not alone.
Some causes are obesity, poor diet (WE know these are not factors for Peggy), allergies or the sac itself can have an abnormal opening. I've read before that they can remove them but its not done very often now because of complications. (I don't know what they are or I don't remember). I think there is a medication they can give if all else fails.
I'm also a believer that the glands should not be expressed unless there is a problem, some groomers express them every time a dog get groomed and I think that in itself cases more problems than not. I've had one dog that had really poor glands and he had to be express every few months only if I noticed him scooting or some swelling. For him the added pumpkin in his meals worked most times.

I hope Peggy's leaking stops on its own, and it may as she ages a bit more. I think that is the worst smell ever. LOL and hopefully you don't have to express her glands at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is truly the worst smell!!

I can't recall how much pumpkin I gave her. Probably a heaping spoonful? But she vomited shortly afterwards, which is rare for her, so I decided not to push it. But you're right, the Glandex does contain pumpkin. Maybe I'll try again at some point, but she enjoys so many other veggies, it may not be necessary.

She also can't tolerate whole egg, but is fine with dry egg in her food.

Wait. Or maybe she isn't?? Maybe that's actually the source of all these problems. Sigh. I think switching over to a simple homemade diet for a few weeks might be necessary. But we've got these massive bags of kibble to get through.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts